Whisk[e]y!

I've gone through a bottle of Sullivan's Cove and it was a very nice experience.

Might have to try this Aberlour by the sounds of it - thanks @Drubbing. I'm not sure it's the "air in the bottle" that's making things taste better though? I find everything tastes better after I've had a few...

As my Scottish friend says, "it's all about portion control..." I'm talking the first glass of a new day, not the 7th of the night.

Chivas and Monkey shoulder definitely did get better after a few days. It might simply be my palette adjusting to what the whisky is about and finding the overall flavour. The anorak tasters get this (and loads more) on the first taste, probably takes me a lot longer.

The Dewars didn't get any better from one day to the next - no flavour at all. It didn't even respond to a drop of good stuff added, which in my short experience has lifted other bottom shelf scotches.

Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or aged 12-Years. As single malt sippers know, Glenmorangie is normally aged for 10 Years. This however, is aged an additional 2 Years in Sauternes barriques for a honey gold appearance and supposedly hints of honey and lemon although to my palate it was more honey, caramel and a "nutiness". Regardless, I enjoyed it immensely. There is also a 15-Year old Nectar D'or.

The remainder of the bottle will be enjoyed beside my daughter and son-in-law's swimming pool over the next few days of Christmas.

Oany furst footers fur ma hoose at Hogmany? Google won't translate THAT! :p :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :D

Whiskey marketing is great. I wonder how much of the honey gold appearance is due to the extra 2 years in special barrels, and how much is E150

World International #1 Scotch Whisky and is my soul deepest favorite Aussie made is Sullivans Cove Single Cask French Oak - made in Tasmania

That award was for a specific single-barrel bottling and those with a bottle from the HH525 cask are asking multiple thousands of dollars for it. It is pretty good whisky, but it is not Scotch whisky. I'd prefer to get one of the few remaining bottles of 'The Exile' for around the $500 mark. Same type of barrel (300L ex-Port French Oak Cask), slightly longer maturation. I sniffed this at Whiskey & Alement in Melbourne recently, it is just amazing on the nose.

Chivas and Monkey shoulder definitely did get better after a few days. It might simply be my palette adjusting to what the whisky is about and finding the overall flavour. The anorak tasters get this (and loads more) on the first taste, probably takes me a lot longer.

It is actally getting some air into the bottle will oxidise a little and assist with flavour. Even Ralfy says some bottles open up over time as it gets a bit of air into it, or he adjusts the amount of water he puts in it.

The Dewars didn't get any better from one day to the next - no flavour at all. It didn't even respond to a drop of good stuff added, which in my short experience has lifted other bottom shelf scotches.
That's because it is Dewars. You will find it better in the longer aged examples like the 15 and 18.... but not much. I'd prefer Johnnie Green over any Dewars, and the higher Chivas like Royal Salue is preferable in my eyes. Johnnie Blue is a waste of money.

Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or aged 12-Years. As single malt sippers know, Glenmorangie is normally aged for 10 Years. This however, is aged an additional 2 Years in Sauternes barriques for a honey gold appearance and supposedly hints of honey and lemon although to my palate it was more honey, caramel and a "nutiness". Regardless, I enjoyed it immensely. There is also a 15-Year old Nectar D'or.

I like the Lasanta over the Nectar D'Or, but the Quinta Ruan is something else, and the Signet is further ahead again. Definitely recommend stepping up to them if you can.

How do you guys rate the aberlour a'bunadh? I am thinking of giving it a shot. Any recommendations in a similar price range?

Anyone try the balvenie double wood? Had the 12 and 17 and liked the 12 better.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you guys rate the aberlour a'bunadh? I am thinking of giving it a shot. Any recommendations in a similar price range?

Highly recommend the abunadh. Similiar cask strength sherry bomb is the Glenfarclas 105 which may still be on sale at nicks.com.au

The DW 12yo is ok. I much prefer their port finish however that is a big step up in price

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought I would take a look at nicks.com.au after a few recommendations here for different brandy/cognacs and gins to try. Unfortunately free delivery for over $200 sales does not apply here . 2 bottles would cost $75 delivery!

/edit deleted mistakenly added emoji

Thought I would take a look at nicks.com.au after a few recommendations here for different brandy/cognacs and gins to try. Unfortunately free delivery for over $200 sales does not apply here . 2 bottles would cost $75 delivery!

/edit deleted mistakenly added emoji

That is pretty crap :(

The Aberlour 12YO double cask is in the same flavour territory, but currently $54.