Why is my second-pass lather better?

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
I face lather as I like the feel of lathering on my face. My routine consists of:
Wash face with Pears transparent​
Rinse face thoroughly​
Apply shave stick to face or shave cream to brush​
Face lather, retaining lather on brush for subsequent passes​
Shave N-S (mainly)​
Lightly wet face again​
Using the previously loaded brush, reapply lather​
Commence second pass, generally XTG​
What I have consistently found is that this second application of lather, outperforms the first application. I have my thoughts on why this is so but would like to hear about the experience of others and possibly why.

I think this might have something to do with the type of brush hair you use? Synthetics do not hold water in the knot and the lather will be hydrated further from the water on your face.

The issue is somehow mitigated with boar and horse hair brushes, as they hold at least eater in the knot.

Badgers hold water in the actual fibre and therefore the lather in the knot has a chance to be hydrated well from the get go.

These are my personal findings and of course it might be different for others...

...What I have consistently found is that this second application of lather, outperforms the first application. I have my thoughts on why this is so but would like to hear about the experience of others and possibly why.​
By way of clarification, do you add any water to the lather on your brush as you go? I've always found I've had to add a little more as i go, just sprinkling a few drops from my fingertips directly into the bristles, particularly since I like to use warm water. Evaporation, I assume (but without evidence). I haven't noticed any difference in quality between first or second passes, regardless of whether I lather in a bowl or on my skin.

To be honest, I would have to disagree with notions regarding the amount of water particular types of hairs or fibres hold. The water is held as an emulsion with the soap if the lather is built properly, so by the time you've constructed a beautiful lather, the function of the brush is pretty much just to provide a convenient way of putting it on your face.

BTW, I wouldn't like to leave the impression that I'm against any preference for badger over synthetic. I used badgers for over 30 years until they became unusable, and have lately considered getting one (or two) back into the den.

BTW, I wouldn't like to leave the impression that I'm against any preference for badger over synthetic. I used badgers for over 30 years until they became unusable, and have lately considered getting one (or two) back into the den.
Simpsons are selling boar brushes

Thank you for the replies so far.

I didn't mentions the brush type as I find about the same improvement of lather with synthetic, badger and bore. I also had a horsehair but gave that away as it was not to my liking.

My current thoughts are that it may have something to do with the lather resting on the brush between the first and second applications, although @silverlifter raises an interesting additional reason.

As for adding water to my lather, being a straight razor shaver, I normally shave with a rather wet lather. I do dip the tips of my brush in warm water whenever I feel that my lather is not quite wet enough.

...As for adding water to my lather, being a straight razor shaver, I normally shave with a rather wet lather. I do dip the tips of my brush in warm water whenever I feel that my lather is not quite wet enough.
A wetter lather also has advantages for users of other razors. A lather that is too dry is more inclined to clog the razor and confers less slickness.