Derby Extra is now thinner, but apparently sharper and smoother

Oh man, Derby blades are one of the roughest blades I've ever used!

I had bought a hundred...one pass in, changed out the blade and pif'd the remaining 99 blades. This was back in 2010. I've never looked back.

Interesting, I find Derbys to be quite smooth but not overly sharp, I've got a hundred and don't break them out often but i have to say I prefer them to polsilvers and vokshoods... no idea why as I love my Russian gillettes...

I do indeed :LOL:

Derby used to be the 'use first' blades recommended when you started wet shaving properly. I had major issues with them early on, especially in my first razor (DE86, but any Edwin Jaeger / Muhle Fixed head will have the issue). Also, getting a decent & consistent lather is important with them. As a result, I recommend Personna Reds (or Personna Platinums in the plastic dispensers, same thing) for your first blade.

After learning how to shave properly, I get as good a shave out of a Derby as any other average modern blade. I find that the razor you use them in has the biggest impact. A vintage Gillette Fatboy or Slim will get the most out of them in my experience. I haven't tried them in a generic Superspeed or a Krona so cannot comment there but I'd suggest you'd get a good shave as long as your technique is decent.

I'd rate PermaSharp Supers & Silver Blues above these. PPI blades seem to agree with me more than any other with the exception of vintage.