RazoRock MJ-90 Initial Impressions

Struth, @thisISjoel..... youhaave some awfully obscure blades there! I guess that's the result of buying sample packs!

Yeah? I don't really know where all of them came from, some were from try a blade, some I got from @Nav as sort of a trade that started out as a PIF (if I remember correctly?), @Mark1966 sent me the brown poli, one came with my Fatboy, I think that's about it.

They look really cool. I was actually more disappointed that they shaved so poorly because they look so sweet.

Yeah... spot on! I reckon one of the first things nooby blade gatherers have to learn is that it's good fun to collect 'em all... but not necessarily much fun to actually shave with 'em all! BTW... if you ever use the Sputnik in any razor, I'd be interested in how it went! Lately I'm becoming rather interested in all Russian blades!

Yeah... spot on! I reckon one of the first things nooby blade gatherers have to learn is that it's good fun to collect 'em all... but not necessarily much fun to actually shave with 'em all! BTW... if you ever use the Sputnik in any razor, I'd be interested in how it went! Lately I'm becoming rather interested in all Russian blades!

I have tried one before, I don't remember how it went though so probably pretty middle of the road I'm guessing. If/when I get around to using one again I'll try to remember to post my thoughts :)

Interesting collection from all parts of the world.
Since you are using a modern engineered and machined razor I'd choose a modern blade.
Safe bets are modern personn, astra sp and the yellow shark.
Or go ATG with the unmarked one for the hell of it.

Personally use the modern Wilkinson sword in vintage razors as they flex less and know they are sharp without corrosion due to time/storage.

So my vote is Astra SP as that is a great gauge for the rest of us not vintage blade whores (salvo fired!) ;)

Interesting collection from all parts of the world.
Since you are using a modern engineered and machined razor I'd choose a modern blade.
Safe bets are modern personn, astra sp and the yellow shark.
Or go ATG with the unmarked one for the hell of it.

Personally use the modern Wilkinson sword in vintage razors as they flex less and know they are sharp without corrosion due to time/storage.

So my vote is Astra SP as that is a great gauge for the rest of us not vintage blade whores (salvo fired!) ;)

Noted. The astra is winning so far. The completely blank one is a kai.

Ok, so I've had two shaves with the Astra in the MJ-90 (both documented in the SOTD thread). The first was a bit disappointing, two passes across the grain each way, not as close as I'm used to getting. The second was much better, really comfortable and just about as close as I'm used to getting with my standard slim on 3, Polsilver SI combo.

Chalk the first shave up to user error, I guess with the mildness of the razor the effective cutting angle is smaller and if I'm not concentrating and not finding that angle the efficiency just goes way down.