Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
9hdT6GL.jpg

Warm today (you lot would probably be in a nice merino wool cardigan) but I fancied a bit of leather, so fuck it, beast mode.

9hdT6GL.jpg

Warm today (you lot would probably be in a nice merino wool cardigan) but I fancied a bit of leather, so fuck it, beast mode.
Yeah I saw that it's getting "crazy" hot over there and everyone's laying around sun baking.
Some of us had a giggle, low 30s aint hot hehe.

Last edited:
Razor: Dovo Prima Klang 5/8
Soap: @Pbgoose special
Brush: silvertip whipped dog

So much to like in this shave, the Dovo is getting better as I continue to work on my honing skills, the soap is fantastic and there will be a review in due course. Today is clouded by the fact that that I have a 14 hour work day ahead of me then working tomorrow too but alas, at least I smell good.

Yeah I saw that it's getting "crazy" hot over there and everyone's laying around sun baking.
Some of us had a giggle, low 30s aint hot hehe.

Dude you have no idea - there is no air con in the old world and nothing green...we had 36 today and it is really unpleasant

9hdT6GL.jpg

The UK may have some pretty awful weather but a warm day in June may well be one of the best days anywhere, I hope you're enjoying it.

Guys. Forgive me, for I have sinned :nailbiting: I tried a cart for today's shave. But don't worry, still didn't enjoy it. It's definitely not terrible with my improved technique over time, but still does not touch a hair (pun intended) to a DE. Sorry for no brush in pic! Promise it'll be in the next one
Razor: Dollar Shave club 4 blade cart
Brush: Shavemac 24mm 2 band Silvertip
Soap: APR Bay City
AS: APR Bay City
s1UkCHL.jpg
Wow, is that picture even allowed to stay up! :LOL:
There's about 5 brushes in the background. Doesn't that count.:)

Shower
Feather AC DX with Pro Super blade (18)
Tim's Greek Peach
Omega 49
Bulldog ASB

Another wet day so back in the car. 3 pass BBS - again! Although it is taking longer to get a close shave - the blade hasn't got any worse ATG - it's just behaving like a mild razor now. I am getting relatively careless but still no damage...

PieqS2I.jpg

Musgo Glyce
SJOL
Gillette Fatboy
GFT Sandalwood Cream
Chatillon Lux Santal Auster Salve
AP Reserve The Sandal Aftershave
GFT Sandalwood Cologne

Off work sick & in bed with a strapping case of flu & very little sense of smell, two passes, on with the what's what :)

OQKPZi4.jpg

Razor: MJ-90
Blade: Astra SP (2)
Brush: Wolf Whiskers
Soap: Courage
Balm: Courage

Two passes across the grain both ways for one of, if not the best shaves I've had with the MJ-90. The two passes left me with a very presentable and quite smooth shave, very close to what I was getting with my slim on 3 as my (every other) daily driver.

This soap is fantastic. It smells great and lathers so easily. This morning I was a bit rushed and added water more quickly than I'd normally like to, but the lather was still plenty good enough to protect my face.

Very good shave :)

PieqS2I.jpg

Musgo Glyce
SJOL
Gillette Fatboy
GFT Sandalwood Cream
Chatillon Lux Santal Auster Salve
AP Reserve The Sandal Aftershave
GFT Sandalwood Cologne

Off work sick & in bed with a strapping case of flu & very little sense of smell, two passes, on with the what's what :)
Wishing you a quick recovery, maybe you should have used something with a eucalyptus scent to clear the head.

As winter is here, I've finally been able to test some of the samples I have been sent by some of the kind folk here.
Unfortunately DR Harris Arlington must have been next to a much stronger sample - all I could get out of it was an nasty smoke scent, absolutely nothing of the citrus / fern scent you are supposed to get. I didn't even finish lathering this one up, I found the smell so unpleasant.
Next up was Beaver Woodright's Ghost ship. This is a very soft soap, and another surprise to me as it is another soap with sandalwood in that I quite like. Sandalwood on its own I find to be way too spicy a scent in shaving soaps and creams up here, but it was a winner in this grapefruit / sandalwood / amber combo.
Third soap I have recently sampled was Il Coloniali - another nice soap with a mild dose of menthol, but one which has been discontinued, so I won't be able to try a full puck to see if the scent and menthol were stronger when new.

The equipment for the rest of the shaves has been:
Gillette Slim
Omega 10005
Schick Plus Platinum blade (which I must have used for nearly a month now - I have no idea when I last changed blades)
Myrsol Metilsol with added menthol which I am trying to finish as I find the thymol smell a bit strange.

29A5CDFB-7DDD-4321-898D-DEDD3FC2712C_zpsg1sk5kzc.jpg

Pre: Washpool Farm Facial Cleansing soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Super Badger
Soap: Stirling Lemon Chill
Razor: Merkur Futur (2)
Blade: Vintage Schick Plus Platinum (3)
EDC: DR Harris Traditional

First use of a strongly mentholated soap in Lemon Chill. I initially had some skin irritation when first applied, presumably due to menthol strength, but this disappeared quickly.

The chill was very refreshing, and I didn't have any issues with eye irritation/watering. The scent is predominantly citrus, with a steely menthol backbone.

Performance was great - 3 comfortable passes and a small clean up for a DFS+.

It will be interesting to see if the irritation is still there on next use.

DR Harris Traditional cologne was a great match and finished the shave beautifully.

Invited to a wedding today and had a stellar shave in the morning! The Mühle XL/Stirling Bay Rum combination produced some stellar lather and the ATT S1/Ladas resulted in a super smooth shave - hope you have a fantastic Friday (y)

19402127_1597473486931750_2706424483916080323_o.jpg

Brush: Vie-Long, horse/badger
Soap: Squadron, The Warden
Razor: Ever Ready, 1914
Blade: Gem SS

Great shave this morning. Lovely lather and great clean fresh scent from the Warden!

Second run for the 1914. This razor shows a fair bit of blade and although that is not always indicative of a very efficient razor it is here! Very close shave, certainly feeling the blade , no nicks or weepers , I was being careful.

I'm finding the Gem blades really start to fall off after 4 uses, I thought I used to get more.

Have a great weekend, enjoy your shave.

A magnificent piece of workmanship!
19399058_1597479936931105_7365119942402223682_n.jpg

vFD9S7H.jpg

Musgo Glyce
Paladin Lotus
Gillette Fatboy
Feather
Eufros Rosa Bourbon
Eufros Rosa Bourbon After shave Balm
AP Reserve Fougère Bourbon Rose Aftershave
AP Reserve Fougère Bourbon Rose EDP

Back to Manuel's soap this week I think, two passes, fantastic :)

9bgZdD6.jpg

Pretty good shave. I'm going to be a trying a one pass with touch up shave technique, as medium to aggressive razors will give me DFS+ with a great soap for buffing, which this soap delivered. Although the razor might be slightly too aggressive for less than one days growth, still fantastic! Shavemac coming into its own now. Happy shaves everyone!
Razor: Executive Shaving Claymore SE
Blade: Kai Captain Mild (1)
Soap: Fine American Blend
Brush: Shavemac 2 Band Silvertip
AS: Proraso Sensitive Balm

Status
Not open for further replies.