Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable (5)
Blade(s): PolSilver (2)
Brush: Simpsons Super Chubby 2
Soap/Cream: B&M Petrichor

Rush job this morning .. missed some so will relish tomorrow's shave. The Petrichor is starting to become a go to soap and I could smell it even after an hour.

Pre: Musgo Real Glyce
Brush: Shavemac D01 2 Band Oppus Summum No1
Soap: Wholly Kaw Fougere
Razor: Wapi 5/8"
Strop: Kanayama
Post-shave: Floid Suave

Hugely impressed with the Wholly Kaw - absolute top tier soap. The scent is a fantastic, deep but not cloying fougere. The tonka bean used sparingly to keep things interesting (it's what PAA Deja Fougere is going for, but misses by a mile @silver). Absolute top draw lather and post feel. This is on a par with L&L and B&M in my book.

1498280373.0029.jpg

Really enjoyable shave.

052f7fdf42.png

Pre: hot wash
Brush: Muhle Synthetic Silvertip 21mm
Soap: Phoenix & Beau Imperial Rum
Razor: Schick Injector I1 (late 50s)
Blade: Supply (1)

Injector is very smooth and finding the right angle took sometime as I tended to ride the cap for some strange reason. Very smooth and I always hear great things about SEs and this reinforced it. Very smooth and very enjoyable yet a mild razor. Very hard to nick yourself with this one.
Also helped along by the Imperial Rum which was very slick. Although a thirsty soap, which produced a lather straight away but you have to give it more water to last the shave out.
Post shave was good but felt more moisturiser was needed to reduce the drying skin feel.
Scent was warming and very pleasant with the bay being the main and then the allspice and citrus being the second base, lingering.
Once I work out the face lathering hydration technique for this one I'll run it through winter side by side with my B&Ms Rhapsody.. for now.

Thoughts on SOTD with that soap please?
I didn't overload for once, and only the first use so take it with a grain of salt.

Scent is apparently of Terre d'hermes. Not a strong scent off the puck, about 5-6/10. It does increase as lathered. Nice fall/winter scent with woody base and citrus notes to stop it being too heavy.

Lather this morning was on the thinner side, though that was probably due to not loading as heavy. Took a lot of water, and very slick. Had no problems with nicks or weepers even though it was on the thin side, and a very close resulting shave. Between the shave and the scent, it will be in my rotation and I am looking at getting the matching splash.

iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 24 June 2017

Brush: - Semogue Special Edition 2012 Badger/Boar knot 24/55mm
Cream/Soap: - Stirling Island Man 2x
Razor: - Colonial General Aluminum Head with the iKon Bulldog Handle
Blade: - Schick Proline P-30 #9
Post: - Thayers Witch Hazel 'Rose Petal' / Bulldog Original Aftershave Balm

629E016F-A79B-432A-B794-4F1B6D8215EA_zpskacajtft.jpg

Pre: Washpool Farm Facial Cleansing soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C LE 2017 Platypus
Soap: OSP Bay Rum
Razor: Merkur Futur
Blade: Vintage Wilkinson Sword Super Sword (1)
A/S: Geo. F Trumper Bay Rum

First shave with the Traveling Box contents. A bit chilly here in Perth, and I've been using a bit of bay rum of late, which drove my first choice.

I had a 3 day growth, so dialed the Merkur up to 4 with a brand spanking NOS Wilkie Super Sword blade for the first (WTG) pass. The OSP lather was wonderful, both in performance and scent. Even with the larger blade exposure, the feel was tactile and easy to judge. Dialed the Futur back to 2 for the subsequent XTG and ATG passes, and the skin was feeling so good that I did a lather clean-up, resulting in a BBS finish. What a great shave!
I found that the GFT Bay Rum was pleasant, but came across as a bit synthetic in comparison to the OPS soap, which I think may be essential oil driven?
One hell of a shave - will post reviews at the traveling box threadhere Paste & Cut Travelling Box #4B - Reviews and Comments

Last edited:
Razor: Rockwell #3
Blade: PolAg (4th use)
Brush: RR Bruce
Soap: CRSW puro fresco
After: Nivea Sensitive splash

Hmmm not a great shave today as I added too much water while lathering.
I keep forgetting CRSW is susceptible to too much water. I'll try it again tomorrow and see how I go. Otherwise, the soap is great! A wonderful scent and great post shave!

The nivea splash is new to me and today was the first use. I can't use alcohol based splashes so was glad to find this at my super market for 180 rupees (just under $4 for 100ml).

It's really good stuff. No greasy or oily skin and the scent reminds me of issey miyake :D

19467630_1598525283493237_631412313085304987_o.jpg

Brush: Simpsons, PJ 2
Soap: Squadron, The Warden
Razor: Gem, Micromatic, Bullet tip
Blade: Gem, Micromatic, Double edge, Reversible

I was lucky to get a sample of Squadron "Warden" aftershave this week which @SchoolForAnts kindly sent with the soaps from a trade. I used it yesterday and today with the soap and really enjoyed the scent and face feel. I have ordered some and the Spitfire/Scramble, which I am excited to try. Great work from Squadron!

Tried out some vintage double edge SE Micromatic blades this morning. These are marked "Special service pack" and came from Germany, I'm speculating they were sent to American forces at the end of WW2, as such they would be over 70 years old. Well wrapped with no rust, I gave one a strop and tried it out. Not so sharp, I imagine the edge has deteriorated over time. I will try to sharpen it up before I give it another go.
Fun shave but not close.

Enjoy your Sunday

Can that "guiding eye" really see?
19424203_1598528876826211_8144111281758789064_n.jpg

i39jVUI.jpg

Occam's original Pre
TSW 2B
Mergress XL
Feather
Eufros Agarwood
TSW Afterbalm
AP Reserve Winterfell Aftershave
AP Reserve Winterfell EDP

Two passes with the always excellent Eufros. The earthy, resinous, ageless Agarwood in the brooding deep Chypre that is Winterfell. Superb!

I didn't have much time for a shave this morning so reached for the cream in order to cut down lathering time. The shave felt very comfortable, two passes across the grain in opposite directions and the result was a close enough shave for me, but I was left with a little redness in areas that aren't usually trouble spots for me.

I did rush the lathe and definitely added to much water to quickly, and it was the fourth use of the Polsilver blade, so I think they both may have been contributing factors. Most of the redness had cleared up within an hour or so though, so no real harm done.

It's a strange thing to shave with such a smooth, comfortable razor, but still end up with redness (I hesitate to even call it irritation because my skin doesn't feel irritated at any stage). I'm going to try a different blade next shave, perhaps a Gillette silver blue (a blade I usually hate, but I want to see how it goes in the MJ) or a personna red, I haven't decided yet.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I have a tube of this sitting in my stash, which I haven't got around testing yet. Will be interesting to see how it compares to the other Supermarket item - Palmolive (Aus). Based on my experience, some of these budget creams, particularly the one's available on the Supermarket shelves, can be very finicky to lather. The product-to-water ratio usually needs to be spot-on and there's much less room for error. Once you dial them in, they can work very well. The problem experienced with most budget products is that we rarely use them. When we do decide to use them, we almost forget how to produce the best possible lather out it.

My shave of the day has a pro tip so pay attention y'all.

Razor: old style feather pro
Blade: feather pro
Soap: Geo F Trumper almond
Brush: silver tip whipped dog.

So I have done some casual weight lifting, nothing crazy but I've been doing sports for ever from martial arts through to mens roller derby, anyway weight lifting has always been a supplement to my main training but as I'm not currently doing any sports I got fat and am not willing to accept this.
Diets the key to weight loss and I can gain or lose 20kg fairly quickly when I need too.
Anyway today was my first chest and arms day into a new cycle and
I hit failure hard and often today, anyway after the gym I do some shopping and have a shower, get out and start a shave.
About my second stroke I notice I can't casually hold the razor without it shaking as my muscles are that fatigued, I had to really focus here.
Dispite nicking a trouble spot of mine it actually went okay, it's the most blood I've lost from a shave ever but it is a pretty good shave none the less.
Pro tip:safety razors are for chest day.

TL;dr weightlifting and straight razor shaving in sucsession is a good way to add difficultly.

Shower
Feather AC DX with Pro Super blade (20)
Proraso red
Omega 49
Bulldog ASB

3 pass bbs - the blade just becomes more mild with this many shaves on it. 3 passes is now required whereas for the first 15 shaves only 2 passes are really needed for bbs, or one for dfs...

Cold morning at kids footy - the balm is nice in these conditions.

@Ferret619 gain or lose 20kg is impressive and also continuing with a feather pro with a shaking hand. Not as brave as you. :unsure:

Call me odd as I personally would compliment a person, guy or girl if I really liked their scent and would ask them what it was in a polite way.
Work in a professional formal environment so easy to do but if i was working one of my former roles in a blokey environment I wouldn't as some of them would be offended or be immature about it.
Having a culture of taking pride in yourself and what you do fosters and adds to a good and supportive work environment. Maybe by stealth you are adding to this (y)

UA081PC.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil Soap, cold water
Razor: Mühle Rocca
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Mühle XL Synthetic
Lather: Stirling Bay Rum
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Bay Laurel Witch Hazel, Australian Emu Oil​

Leisurely Sunday shave with my new Rocca over the roofs of Vienna with some
wonderful Stirling lather (picture here) - very hot, but still lovely...

I hope you all have a relaxing Sunday (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.