Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great shave tonight with a big thanks to @boldsworth - A sample of Tabac and a new to me JR Torrey 5/8" half hollow.
The Tabac was/is a soap I have not used for decades and it is a very good soap. Lathered very easily with very creamy rich lather. It did tend to get a bit sticky under the straight but a flick of water got everything moving again. Apart from the "Aroma" it was an excellent soap.

I think I had 3 days growth as I didn't need to leave the office this week and said stubble was no challenge at all for the Torrey. Very effective little whisker whacker.

The Semogue 830 Boar did a great job and is a definite reach for brush.

I really enjoyed tonight's outing and gave myself a complimentary second pass although it wasn't really needed.
2 passes DFS, no blood, no sweat and no tears.

20246112_1629849380360827_2019785624303069512_n.jpg

Brush: Maggards synthetic
Soap: Squadron, The Warden
Razor: Ever Ready, 1914
Blade: Gem SS

A great couple of passes with the 1914 this morning. I would love to try some carbon steel blades in the vintage SE's some time but the price of postage is just ridiculous!
Loving the Warden soap and aftershave, some great lather with the big old brush

Have a great weekend. Enjoy your shaves

20258510_1629849223694176_924547246646449549_n.jpg

F187EB8B-E51E-46BF-95E1-E50E13A8C732_zpsib2wel2u.jpg

Pre: Warm Coconut Oil
Soap: Pb Bay & Lime
Brush: Zenith Boar
Razor: Brass General
Blade: Feather Pro Super

Cooked up a batch of soap yesterday. Tallow, Stearic, Olive oil, Coconut oil, Castor oil, Kaolin, Bentonite, Sodium Lactate, Calendula oil.
Lathers beautifully . I weighted the caustic slightly heavier to NaOH to give a harder puck which bit me when the phone rang just as I was about to put the soap into it the containers. So the soap started going hard and a little grainy so it didn't exactly pour in. Anyway this will work well lathering in container but I'll try it in my scuttle tomorrow.
Nice combo this morning. Love the General.

Full_Size_Render.jpg

Pre: Musgo Real Glyce
Brush: Shavemac D01 2 Band Opus Summum
Soap: Wholly Kaw Fougere
Razor: Gotta 5/8"
Strop: Kanayama
Post-shave: Myrsol Formula C
What's your thoughts on the wholly kaw mate? Seems to be popular with those that use it and speedy likes it.

Razor:R41
Blade:feather (2)
Soap:monsavon
Brush:silvertip
The more I use this soap I don't think I'll buy more, it's nice but I don't think it's top tier stuff.
Just a little lacking in the slickness I think.

@Sticky my wife saw your SOTD picture, and said "OMG his brush matches the colour of the labels"

Don't mind her..... She's an Interior Decorator by trade, they get excited about things like that.

Ha ha, well these things are important! Actually, in real life its not a good match, looks better in the photo. Don't tell your wife, she might be disappointed.

iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 22 July 2017 is nearly 7am in West of London

Brush: - RazoRock Plissoft Big Bruce Synthetic 26/63mm
Lather: - Wilkinson Sword Shave Stick (european version grated into a plastic tub)
Razor: - Parker Variant Adjustable in Satin Chrome (WTG #5, XTG #5, ATG #2)
Blade: - Gillette Silver Blue #2
Post: - Thayers Witch Hazel 'Unscented' / Bulldog Original Aftershave Balm
Fragrance: - YSL L’Homme EDT

Rockwell R3
PolAg (3)
RR Bruce synth
MWF
Anherb milk

OMG!! Absolutely creamy, slick yoghurt later from the fat today! Such a smooth and comfortable BBS!

I have adjusted my lathering technique with synthetics. I load basically dry, as before, but now i no longer agitate so vigorously but more controlled swirls whilst dipping the tips in water throughout the process.

I find this technique yields a much creamier lather that also holds more water as compared to the more agitated lather, which thins out with the same or even less water of new technique.

Soap- b&m reserve cool
Razor- timeless 68 (I hate being beaten)
Blade- Astra sp (1)
Brush- TF penguin synth ice fusion
Post- thayers and eufros gea

The reserve soaps are really wonderful. The lather tonight was so thick and yoghurty, I almost took a photo for @stillshunter .

I had the razor cleaned and ready for sale, but just can't stand being beaten. WTG is always good. XTG is where it happens and tonight was no different. Did half the neck and almost called it, but thought I'd play with angles more and enjoy having lots of time spare. I found with the handle more parallel with my face, the more comfortable (which is totally opposite to every other razor I have). Not sure if it will stay, but will at least use this blade up trying :)

20247988_1630911460254619_4088537805632273606_o.jpg

Brush: Vie-Long, Horse Badger
Soap: Shaver Heaven, Aladdin
Razor: ER, 1912 (brass)
Blade: Gem SS

Well who would have thought it? I was just cleaning this old brass 1912 this morning when SUDDENLY!....

Nothing happened. However, I did get three magic passes, great lather and lovely (princess) Jasmine scent.
What more could you wish for?​

Last edited:
Accidentally used a Crystal platinum blade on a few days growth, and had no other blades in the bathroom so had to finish the shave using it.
Safe to say the whole pack is now in the bin.

Soap: Ad Astra
Blade: feather (3)
Razor: krona
Brush: whipped dog silvertip

Three passes and I got a close nice shave, the krona is a great razor but maybe a bit mild for me..

23F7BF77-EAB1-4DA2-948A-3DA8F5A219AA_zpstsmkak82.jpg

Brush: Shavemac
Razor: Breidora 11/16" 1/4 Grind

Scuttle lathered my Bay & Lime with the Shavemac which worked great but the Shavemac aerated the lather more than the boar. Didn't matter though it was still fantastic on the face and enough lather left over to do it all again post shave. I was hoping this batch was going to be good so I did actually make a double puck batch. So if anyone wants to give it a try I've got a 2nd puck to go, just PM me. I had dialled up the fragrance level in Soapcalc on this batch by a couple of points as in some of my previous batches the fragrance was fading. The fragrance hangs around for a while now and I love it.
As much as I love the Brass General I can't stay away from my straights (though the BG will make regular appearances). When I started with straights I thought I'd prefer the 1/2 and 1/4 grinds but have come to prefer the full hollows. The Breidora is still great fun to pull out in the rotation.

23F7BF77-EAB1-4DA2-948A-3DA8F5A219AA_zpstsmkak82.jpg

Brush: Shavemac
Razor: Breidora 11/16" 1/4 Grind

Scuttle lathered my Bay & Lime with the Shavemac which worked great but the Shavemac aerated the lather more than the boar. Didn't matter though it was still fantastic on the face and enough lather left over to do it all again post shave. I was hoping this batch was going to be good so I did actually make a double puck batch. So if anyone wants to give it a try I've got a 2nd puck to go, just PM me. I had dialled up the fragrance level in Soapcalc on this batch by a couple of points as in some of my previous batches the fragrance was fading. The fragrance hangs around for a while now and I love it.
As much as I love the Brass General I can't stay away from my straights (though the BG will make regular appearances). When I started with straights I thought I'd prefer the 1/2 and 1/4 grinds but have come to prefer the full hollows. The Breidora is still great fun to pull out in the rotation.
Can recommend this soap highly

Status
Not open for further replies.