MEL Draco Noir Memorial Meet - Sunday, 13th August

giQ8Jrw.jpg

13 July 2016

During the meet, I actually didn't get much of a chance to share my story on the item which I brought along for the meeting's show and tell. So here goes....

My very first interaction with Tim, was when I reached out to him to enquire about his SOTD's. All of his SOTD's were Kamisori's. He is The Kamisori King of P&C afterall. He's offered to loan me one of his Kami's, which I kindly declined as I felt that I wasn't up for it.

We didn't interacted much beyond that. As with many people in this hobby, most, if not all will go through the acquisition disorder phase. Be it razors, brush, blades, bowls, you know it. I went through a RAD phase, and my curiosity was piqued by the ATT S1 which was featured in many of @alfredus SOTD's. I reached out to him and got his thoughts on it, and he's forwarded me onto Tim as Tim had not just one, but 2 S1's. Coincidentally, he was thinking about selling it off as he didn't really liked it's mildness.

We then scheduled to meet somewhere near my work, after work, as he lives about 20 minutes away. However, just before the meeting, he's suggested if we mind meeting at his place. Initially I was a little shocked about meeting this man at his own place, but went along anyways. I was greeted by a gentlemen at the doorstep, and that started my friendship with Tim. Initially the trade was just for the S1, we chatted all night and we have a lot in common. That's when he showed me the wonderful Wolfman handle. I was amazed at the craftsmanship of the Wolfman and was absolutely mesmerised by it. Seeing how happy it made me, Tim's offered to sell it to me as well, as he has two of the same handle. It really made my day. This image was taken on that day and at his place. He also presented me with a little gift of the vintage Polsilvers. That's my favourite blade to date.

Then I started picking up honing. I am naturally drawn to all things Japanese, so he's offerred to become my Sensei in honing. I must admit I've not really been that great at it but I'll keep honing away and practice.

After a few meet ups later on, I turned around and asked him... "Hey Tim, why would you just invite a random stranger to your place, without even knowing his background?" He chuckled a little, and his answer was, "If we always keep our doors closed and not invite others in, how would we then make new friends? I've been following the footsteps of my father, and he's known to be a very generous and well connected man back in his days." Those words will always ring in my heart and he's passed on the knowledge and wisdom onto myself.

My favourite DE's the S1 with the Wolfman Handle, not only because I love how it shaves, but also because of the story behind it. Happy shaving and happy sharing.

Last edited:
I too echo the thanks to @Lifes a Peach and @Osman for organising the meet up.

I'm glad to have had the chance to see old faces again and to finally meet @Monsta_AU in person. Great to meet new Melbourne people too.

Thanks @silver for sharing you story of the S1, it perfectly illustrates the kind, open and generous gentleman (there are very few I know that deserve the tiltle more) that Tim was.

So much of my shaving paraphernalia has links either directly or indirectly to Tim and I'm glad to have had a chance to spend a short time with him talking about one of his many hobbies.