DOTD! What are y'all drinking on today.

Guess i will find out how good it is.

36293176842_545da9e84a_c.jpg

Whisky and Rye

fi3gdh3tB4MCRfpiINEOnz0aWnt9LZr6OkVjZHX9va5iFxR6JppHZlpRuaTsMy33yKxb9yhLTleFR79z1M3J-SpDk1IJrJIJOThy68bnV6hBWnIr5QBimM73UUZKr6alJ3oir8s6w66BQvX1eZ6w3G6IsuXS9lM0QqHeZHN47gtZHlpqx5gqhdfWmA6ZrS2poyvK0tery0bZ34syhcsgBskMFHbYtyR8e61GKK2xgEPLUYZgqzAPWVLy4iHmsLE3XaEUBklObF9294Zcne6MhJJbP7LT1P8LHkyTkPfZxaXV8MXxxxZ_DllyccQ11LL69lAdvpODUj1vF8dsv9Q4gikamN3Dd96OfoNfc2XGsOFM6z1mSVJHOmTbrWFolxMhJ_AnlCXpga3gXooMAfSNJY2GYCO9HfafLG47AQuvmun4lAVPlbHxMBGHDWoud-v--iQ3PyeggG8qkNDf6qaPL338bilAYKbr-fQ4RisIoKAZ7UfdQAbbTEdXyEYIVSbmvMn3FEcpybfF-7h7DJKrTY6Pf-_TwVh6lqqwOov1Uu0v2NneixsREow0ZwcmAVUora2j_Nd3r4oqfjzAgL3BR5ETZ-palO_QvlxVDymyujMLzn21UL6TroKQ=w464-h618-no

A fifty fifty mix.

According to an American mate this is very old school Americana from the days when you'd order a shot of local rot gut and mix it with Canadian rye (made by professionals who weren't hiding in a barn from the Po-lice or Revenoo) to make it palatable. He recommends 2 parts Marker's Mark to 1 part Canadian Rye for a passable immitation of what Jack Daniels No7 used to be. All I had was a Malt from Seattle which is considerably more assertive than MM.

Now, where are me old Don McLean records...

Whisky and Rye

fi3gdh3tB4MCRfpiINEOnz0aWnt9LZr6OkVjZHX9va5iFxR6JppHZlpRuaTsMy33yKxb9yhLTleFR79z1M3J-SpDk1IJrJIJOThy68bnV6hBWnIr5QBimM73UUZKr6alJ3oir8s6w66BQvX1eZ6w3G6IsuXS9lM0QqHeZHN47gtZHlpqx5gqhdfWmA6ZrS2poyvK0tery0bZ34syhcsgBskMFHbYtyR8e61GKK2xgEPLUYZgqzAPWVLy4iHmsLE3XaEUBklObF9294Zcne6MhJJbP7LT1P8LHkyTkPfZxaXV8MXxxxZ_DllyccQ11LL69lAdvpODUj1vF8dsv9Q4gikamN3Dd96OfoNfc2XGsOFM6z1mSVJHOmTbrWFolxMhJ_AnlCXpga3gXooMAfSNJY2GYCO9HfafLG47AQuvmun4lAVPlbHxMBGHDWoud-v--iQ3PyeggG8qkNDf6qaPL338bilAYKbr-fQ4RisIoKAZ7UfdQAbbTEdXyEYIVSbmvMn3FEcpybfF-7h7DJKrTY6Pf-_TwVh6lqqwOov1Uu0v2NneixsREow0ZwcmAVUora2j_Nd3r4oqfjzAgL3BR5ETZ-palO_QvlxVDymyujMLzn21UL6TroKQ=w464-h618-no

A fifty fifty mix.

According to an American mate this is very old school Americana from the days when you'd order a shot of local rot gut and mix it with Canadian rye (made by professionals who weren't hiding in a barn from the Po-lice or Revenoo) to make it palatable. He recommends 2 parts Marker's Mark to 1 part Canadian Rye for a passable immitation of what Jack Daniels No7 used to be. All I had was a Malt from Seattle which is considerably more assertive than MM.

Far more exotic and interesting than my Ardbeg (again).

Oh, here you go -

I have a few others you may like which are a little more mature yet in a similar style, old-school sherry maturation with more age on it. The 105 is great value for a NAS but it used to be I think stated as 10yo. It got too popular and I think most of it is 7-8y.o with some older casks now. There's probably a few sherry-seasoned casks in there too.

Between Glenfarclas in the 15yo and older, and the Springbank 15yo and older, there is not much else you'd need to have a wide-ranging Scotch collection. Lagavaulin 16 for your Islay, and possibly a Highland Park or maybe a Dalwhinnie..... 4 bottles and done.
What's your current recommendations for sherry casked?

Whisky and Rye

A fifty fifty mix.

I love a good rye in a cocktail.
I've mostly been drinking Manhattans over the last few weeks. 2 parts of (the excellent) Knob Creek Rye to 1 part Dolin Red Vermouth. Some bitters stirred over ice and served with a twist of lemon in a coupe. The perfect way to signify the end of the working day and it makes me feel like Don Draper.

Just had a birthday and received a bottle of Canadian Club which is nice. I prefer a bourbon and had to hunt far and wide to get a bottle of Basil Hayden in this town.
Top drop if you like it over ice or even with a wedge of lime.
I just can't drink Beam or Turkey, Makers is sometimes tolerable.

What's your current recommendations for sherry casked?

Glenfarclas 15 or older, Glendronach 15 or older (Revival or the 22yo Parliament), Aberlour A’Bunadh, Macallan 12. Not in any particular order. You could also go for Highland Park 18, or Glengoyne.

Im nursing a dram of JW black currently, say what you will but I like it.

Blackout here so nothing else to do but have a Yamazaki by candlelight - then restoreall the clocks etc when the power comes back

Glenfarclas 15 or older, Glendronach 15 or older (Revival or the 22yo Parliament), Aberlour A’Bunadh, Macallan 12. Not in any particular order. You could also go for Highland Park 18, or Glengoyne.

I want to like Glenfarclas, I really do 'cause they do that old fashioned family owned independent distiller thing so well. But I can't help feeling that Aberlour do everything just a little better. Given 1st Choice is selling the Aberlour 12yo at $55 right now, that would be my hot tip. A'Bunadh is a bit variable from batch to batch but its all monster (or should that be Monsta?) and needs to be treated with respect. It has broken several of my drinking companions at the end on a night.

Glengoyne is an unsung hero. My 17yo is long gone but I have a cask strength in the stash cupboard for emergency.

Had a few drams last night at Whisky & Alement in Melbourne. Had a stormer in a 19yo Ben Nevis from Old Malt Cask. I am trying to find a bottle. Deep, malty and a nice mineral hit late in the development. It's probably a $225+ bottle though.

There was also others I need to look up on the list.

Cleanse palette first with Woolies lightly sparkling spring water.
Then...
Aldi's special purchase Suntory.
Neat, with a few small slivers of ice, left to rest for 5-10 whilst conversing with a relative that I served up the same for him to enjoy.

Had a look through my storage, think I'm set for a while and will stick to the very occasional bargain limited release to add to it.
@Monsta_AU knows the particular distilling feature I'm seeking, or at least I suspect he does.
If he's not exploring/chasing it too, I'd be most surprised.