Hello from Brisbane.

Hey all,

My name is Andrew.

Years ago I purchased a Dovo Solingen 5/8th blade, plastic handled from The Shaver Shop. I fell in love with it, the feel of shaving with a straight edge, no more skin irritation, it was wonderful.

Then I put it on top of the bathroom heater one winters morning when I was too tired to think and melted the plastic scales.

So I grew a beard :p.

I finally got my act together and ordered an Ebony replacement, and got in contact with @Mark from his blog about honing, as it is extremely blunt at this point from some earlier learning curves taking care of it.

He responded, unfortunately when my scales arrived I promptly dropped the rivets into a thick shag carpet that was the same colour, and had to order a new set of rivets from the UK. By the time that all came through Mark seems to have dropped off the radar.

I've joined this forum in the hopes of finding someone with a love for honing that might be able to give my blade some love it so desperately needs (recompensed of course).

I just shaved this morning again with a Schick, (my wife prefers me with a D'Artagnan style moustache and goatee, she hated clean shaven and only tolerates full beard, so I had to start shaving again). I digress, the Schick feels like I'm just flailing at my face hoping something happens.

Hi Andrew, welcome to Paste & Cut.

Finally, another straight shaver! Not sure about a Musketeer-style setup! Each to their own, I suppose...

Interesting, just checking @Mark's profile, he hasn't been on here since July. There are a few others on the site here who hone, so you won't go too long without a fix, I'm sure.

I have a vintage Solingen Puma No21, I think it is maybe 9/16. It is currently in the rotation. I like this particular blade because it is very forgiving.

If you get no takers, you are welcome to send it down this way. No fee, I sharpen things just for my own enjoyment. I use to tune out from a busy day of brain-work, along with mashing notes on a mostly-tuned guitar, and roasting coffee. Each has their own benefit to me, in the varied results.

Hi Andrew, welcome aboard! I too like nothing more than to get out on a Saturday night, race a few of my mates and lay some rubber so you're not alone in...oh....'honing'...never mind. :p

Welcome to P&C @Andrew Van Werkhoven.
I usually save my straight shaves for the weekend when I have a bit more time to strop carefully and enjoy the shave. There's certainly nothing to compare to a straight shave with a nice blade ;)

G'Day and welcome Andrew.
Sorry I've come in a bit late to this one - glad to help if I can.
PM me if you want and we'll sort something out