Boots

You'd hope they continue as they have done. While there are many who happily just buy another pair because they love them, I'm sure there are plenty that keep retreading old favourites. RMW used to get virtually all their marketing mileage out of that, and it would be as dumb as fuckery to throw all that away.

Amen to that, Drubs.
But all of a sudden when corporate drones with no respect for the longevity of the brand are calling the shots, bad things can happen.
Let's hope they sort themselves out.

Tom, I'm amazed at your experience - it flies in the face of the customer service "image" that their stores promote. Did you only go through the outlet, or did you have a crack at contacting the factory too? I wonder if some retail drone just classified them as "too hard". If they still look good enough to wear with a suit, they clearly can't be too unsound.

Tom, I'm amazed at your experience - it flies in the face of the customer service "image" that their stores promote. Did you only go through the outlet, or did you have a crack at contacting the factory too? I wonder if some retail drone just classified them as "too hard". If they still look good enough to wear with a suit, they clearly can't be too unsound.

See his posts above -

Anyway, I dropped off my black boots at one of their outlets for reconditioning in recent years - they were still in decent nick, but I wear them sometimes with a suit, and the stitching and outers were getting a bit ragged.

They were returned to me with a terse note saying that they were "structurally beyond repair", and that I had ruined them by incorrect insertion/removal. What a load of bollocks! I still wear them to this day, and they remain very comfortable....

... I was so shocked by the response that I asked for a report.

This materialised as a scribbled factory note saying that I had crushed the heel counters of the boots by pulling them on by the heel loops. Am I missing something? What else are the heel loops for? Apparently, you should be using a shoe horn. Get off the grass! They are RM Boots; not bloody dress shoes.

I then wrote to the Marketing Manager to express my disappointment at this situation, having owned three pairs of boots over the years, and recommending them to many local and international friends over the years. I received a sanitised standard response fully of politically correct bollocks but no customer support.

If, despite what you have read above, you are interested in R M Williams boots - you may want to sign up here - http://www.rmwilliams.com.au/registration/secret_boot_sale.html

I suspect that their 'Secret Boot Sale' (which they have sent invites for to everybody on their mailing list) will not be as good as Nungar pricing (see here - Boots) you never know ...

Discussion of work shoes moved to existing thread on Business Shoes - see here: Business shoes

If, despite what you have read above, you are interested in R M Williams boots - you may want to sign up here - http://www.rmwilliams.com.au/registration/secret_boot_sale.html

I suspect that their 'Secret Boot Sale' (which they have sent invites for to everybody on their mailing list) will not be as good as Nungar pricing (see here - Boots) you never know ...

So the Secret Boot Sale is ON!

Limited to four boots:

Black Turnout - http://www.rmwilliams.com.au/turnout/BEABY_02FGWW06.html - $295
Chestnut Turnout - http://www.rmwilliams.com.au/turnout/BEABY_41FGWW07.html - $295
Brown Suede Turnout (heresy) - http://www.rmwilliams.com.au/turnout/BEABY_41FGWW07.html - $295
Saddle Tan Craftsman - http://www.rmwilliams.com.au/craftsman/Craftsman.html?dwvar_Craftsman_color=35 - $350

Secret Boot Sale Terms: Stock is strictly limited and the online sale is for 72 hours only or until sold out. Restricted to one (1) sale item per transaction. These are not made to order boots, so the size and fit cannot be changed or requested beyond what is available. Any returns due to faulty or incorrect receipt of goods must be requested from customerservice@rmwilliams.com.au within 7 days of receipt of goods. Not available in conjunction with any other offer.

Not bad pricing from them if these are what you are after :)

links won't work mark. Says pages do not exist

Yep - that would be consistent with the email I got this afternoon saying all sold out :(

Sorry guys!

One of the benefits of living in Australia is that we can get excellent quality Neats Foot Oil at a fraction of the cost of other countries. You can get a 500ml bottle from Bunnings for about $12. Photo attached. Work it well into the leather with a rag/cloth, and leave it several hours to soak in. It softened and conditions the leather, as opposed to shining it. You can do this with a good polish as a final stage if you wish.

4bc694670233148469a43db126764e40.jpg

Not at Bunnings or listed on their website, any idea where to get it?

A quick scan of the web suggests that Diggers have discontinued this line. No problem - you'll find other brands. Horseland (430 Newcastle St) have Joseph Lyddy Neatsfoot oil in 500ml and 1 litre containers. Just as good - maybe better. Key use is for conditioning leather saddles, but magic on RM's.

Last edited by a moderator:
A quick scan of the web suggests that Diggers have discontinued this line. No problem - you'll find other brands. Horseland (430 Newcastle St) have Joseph Lyddy Neatsfoot oil in 500ml and 1 litre containers. Just as good - maybe better. Key use is for conditioning leather saddles, but magic on RM's.

They are also good for strops. But only a couple of drops at a time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha! Well, I can recommend a blacksmith, but he is in Japan. And I don't know what a Tinker does?But you are on the money, Drubs. We have to cop some Gen Next graduate in a marketing/PR role with no concept of building the business; just if they meet their BS performance targets so that they collect their performance bonus, then move on to the next company before their incompetence is illuminated.
As for your boots - nice choice on the yearling pointed toe. If the size is a touch tight, I'd recommend dosing them daily with Neats Foot Oil for a week, in conjunction with stretching on shoe trees overnight. This can usually expand at least half a size; sometimes a full size.
Same principle applies for shoes, as long as the leather has some porosity (as most top brands do). Many manufacturers treat the leather with a synthetic brew heavy with silicone, which provides water resistance, but does not allow the leather to breath, nor absorb any conditioning oil.
And as you and @Mark1966 have mentioned previously, a welted sole is highly desirable to allow easy and effective re-soling by a cobbler.

I've got Neatfoot, but overnight made no difference. I'll have to stump up for trees/stretchers if these are going to be wearable. Can a cobbler not do this? or would it cost the same as buying stretchers?

I've got Neatfoot, but overnight made no difference. I'll have to stump up for trees/stretchers if these are going to be wearable. Can a cobbler not do this? or would it cost the same as buying stretchers?

Yes - a cobbler will do the same thing. I've seen them do it - this is how I came to know of this method. Doesn't always work, but I've had a few wins over the years. In some cases, the Cobbler has done it as a freeby.
If you go the shoe-trees option, put as much pressure as you can when you insert (they are kind of spring loaded), and do this after a generous application of oil. May need to repeat a few times.

If you are looking for RM Williams boots -

In getting ready to celebrate Christmas, Nungar Trading Company would like to offer you, your family and friends a Christmas Special on selected RM Williams footwear*.

The recommended retail price of the RM Williams Dynamic Flex Craftsman and the Comfort Craftsman is currently $545.00.

Your price is $405.00, which includes our gift to you, a complimentary 70ml RM Williams Stockman's Boot Polish to match the colour of your boot purchase**. This retails for $17.00.

So, ORDER NOW TO SAVE AND ENSURE TIMELY DELIVERY FOR CHRISTMAS and be sure to mention that you would like to redeem this special offer in the comments section of the order form.

Best wishes,
The Nungar Team

*This offer applies to standard size B543Y Comfort Craftsman and B543Y Dynamic Flex Craftsman in Chestnut and Black.

**This offer is only available while stocks last.

Last edited:
If you are looking for RM Williams boots -

In getting ready to celebrate Christmas, Nungar Trading Company would like to offer you, your family and friends a Christmas Special on selected RM Williams footwear*.

The recommended retail price of the RM Williams Dynamic Flex Craftsman and the Comfort Craftsman is currently $545.00.

Your price is $405.00, which includes our gift to you, a complimentary 70ml RM Williams Stockman's Boot Polish to match the colour of your boot purchase**. This retails for $17.00.

So, ORDER NOW TO SAVE AND ENSURE TIMELY DELIVERY FOR CHRISTMAS and be sure to mention that you would like to redeem this special offer in the comments section of the order form.

Best wishes,
The Nungar Team

*This offer applies to standard size B543Y Comfort Craftsman and B543Y Dynamic Flex Craftsman in Chestnut and Black.

**This offer is only available while stocks last.
Tempted. I wouldn’t mind trying a good boot but not sure if these are worth the investment at that price.

@Mark1966 so do you recommend a specific brand of polish? I grabbed something called angelus.

Maybe I should have read the next topic over

@Mark1966 so do you recommend a specific brand of polish? I grabbed something called angelus.

Maybe I should have read the next topic over

I just use the RM polish myself on these. For my work shoes I use Collonil, a little cheaper than the Saphir.