Something different

pvsampson

I like to play with stone.Small bits,not tiny bits,and every now and then I shape a nice piece into a knife.Not really functional,more display stuff and hadn't really bothered for a while because the time and effort that I put into them,well nobody seems interested.Had an idea this morning and spent a few hours working a piece of agate.Hard stone,slow to work with,but I wanted to see if my idea would be worth pursuing.
I think it may be.This is just a practise/experimental piece,it's too thick in the spine so the geometry means I would not be able to get a razor edge,but I can get a knife edge.Little short as well,and am unsure whether I will finish it as will need around another 3 hours as is,or I could thin it and put a sharp edge on....6 to 8 hrs.
GToDX7ml.jpg

DsE9Cksl.jpg

Zn5zTW5l.jpg

That looks amazing! How do you work the stone? Surely you need to see if you can get a truly sharp edge on it and try it out

That is amazing what a craft you have, you have to try and put a blade edge on that to try it out, well done love the look of it

Cheers guys.I have lapidary equipment to work with,though I am down one 120 grit 6 x 2.5 inch diamond belt that failed at the join today.(Not happy as they are expensive and I need to buy a good glue to fix it.) I will see on the weekend if I will put an edge on it,I am waiting on some diamond paste that means I can get it scary sharp but I will need to thin the whole piece.I might just keep it as is and cut a thinner slice and make a different one.
Also,that fracture line that shows in the pics is hardly noticeable,actually didn't realize it was there until I saw it in the image.Makes no difference to the integrity of the stone.

Cheers guys.I have lapidary equipment to work with,though I am down one 120 grit 6 x 2.5 inch diamond belt that failed at the join today.(Not happy as they are expensive and I need to buy a good glue to fix it.) I will see on the weekend if I will put an edge on it,I am waiting on some diamond paste that means I can get it scary sharp but I will need to thin the whole piece.I might just keep it as is and cut a thinner slice and make a different one.
Also,that fracture line that shows in the pics is hardly noticeable,actually didn't realize it was there until I saw it in the image.Makes no difference to the integrity of the stone.
Very interesting. If you do get one you can shave with I hope you post again.

@pvsampson when are you going to shave for a test run.

That's Mike Cook from Art of Ishi.In my opinion the worlds best stone knapper.I sent him some small knives,polished arrowheads and some Aussie jasper a few years ago and he sent me some knapped arrowheads,a beautiful knapped knife blade and some American stone in return.That reminds me,I must message him as I haven't for a while
https://www.artofishi.com/

Would love to see what else you made

Would love to see what else you made
lWjfDvWm.jpg
AXk7WVVm.jpg

ZzjnnZmm.jpg
Xg73eAwm.jpg

DHjQ1Rmm.jpg
NR91d5Tm.jpg

Most of this stuff is gone,haven't made any plectrums for a while and I made heaps but nobody wanted to buy them,though they didn't mind taking them for nothing when I closed my website down.Stone costs money,power to run tools plus my time making them,also the amount of time spent designing,researching etc.Tried to get ahead but at the time nobody wanted anything to do with what I do.I can make some great little knives now that I have a sharpen process figured,just need a market.

Last edited:
Amazing skill @pvsampson (y). That Kamisori style stone straight looks beautiful. I imagine would be very brittle though?

Amazing skill @pvsampson (y). That Kamisori style stone straight looks beautiful. I imagine would be very brittle though?
Thanks. Agate is pretty tough and not as brittle as glass but would not recommend dropping when shaped like that.The edge would need care of course,but so does a steel straight.Hopefully I can get a good edge as I have 1 and 0.5 micron paste coming so get the geometry right and should be good.I have a 14,000 wheel but can't get the revs slow enough to utilize it.

May I humbly suggest that you do a timelapse video and post it on Youtube?
Skills like yours tend to come to the surface and gain the recognition they deserve in the right medium :)

BTW, If that Kami holds a razors edge, I'd be honoured to try shaving with it :)

that looks nice already.something in the pattern really reminds me of a brown trout.

So when you go to sharpen it, how do you set the bevel angle? Nice project. It's beautiful.
Unsure.I am waiting on a cheap Chinese 400/1000 stone which will do for setting,and I am thinking I will use the original unpolished as a test run then decide on process for this.So far they are both wedges,I could get them a little hollowed but need to consider how much time I want to spend on them.So far 7hrs on the new piece,most of that was thinning.If I were to pursue this I would need to get uniform thickness slices large enough to cut two items, which are available but finding them cheap enough is a factor.Uniformity would also mean reduced production time...basically shape,polish and sharpen

Last edited: