Allergic Reaction

Nico

Multi-blade using heretic - burn the witch ...
In Memoriam
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
I have sensitive skin and been using Green or white Poraso for ages with great results, however I wanted to try something different . After reading good reviews for Taylor's sandalwood shaving cream I thought I would give it a go. Lathered beautifully and provided a great lubricant for a shave. Unfortunately had a bad allergic reaction, got welts and redness. I suspect the sandalwood is the problem. Well, guess I will go back to Poraso for the time being. Any of you good blokes had allergy issues with shaving creams or soaps. :cautious:

I’ve had nothing that extreme but Mama bears coffee gave me some redness and stinging

Razorock P.160 made my face light up like Christmas lights.

First shave was ok, it happened the second shave, burnt like crazy.

I own a tube of Taylor's sandalwood and didn't have any issues. BUT we all react differently.

I get the same symptoms you describe whenever I use my RazoRock.
I tried just toughing it out in the hopes that my skin would adjust... It didn't.

My advice is that life is too short for bad shaves. PIF it and move on.

I'm allergic to almond, cinnamon, menthol and strong sandalwood, I have no issue using light sandalwood

@Nico have you tried Tabac shaving soap?

EuB9Rk8.jpg

Last edited:
Tea Tree oil can have that effect on me. Also burns like hell fire on my face. Happily not an issue for me as I really can't stand the scent of it anyway.

Some people have low tolerance to certain oils unfortunately. More often than not I hear of people having more issues with fragrance oils than essential oils. I suspect that the TOBS Sandalwood uses a synthetic fragrance oil and not real Sandalwood Essential Oil which may be the cause. Proraso is likely fragranced with synthetic fragrance as well but obviously your skin has been tolerant to whatever is in the Proraso.

My skin doesn't like the 'Pumpkin Spice' style scents ... which is a shame cause I like the scent. Probs the cinnamon??

I own a tube of Taylor's sandalwood and didn't have any issues. BUT we all react differently.

I get the same symptoms you describe whenever I use my RazoRock.
I tried just toughing it out in the hopes that my skin would adjust... It didn't.

My advice is that life is too short for bad shaves. PIF it and move on.
I agree... I have a "two strikes and out" policy. There's so many great soaps out there, we didn't get into this to make our skin worse :D