Shave of the Day Thread - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
nXrTQ5Yl.jpg

Soap: Pb Myrrlin
Brush: 30mm TGN Silvertip
Razor: Schick Injector G Type
Blade: Personna (2)
The 30mm is like taking a mop to your face (a very soft mop). It's huge compared to my other brushes but lathers well and will be fun to use occasionally. It'll be like the St Bernard of the brush family.

DIY lemon myrtle oil
Rockwell Model T w/Polsilver
DS Cosmetic flat top tuxedo
CRSW Puro Fresco
DIY lemon myrtle oil*

Second use of the Model T and another great shave! This razor is really excellent!

I tried to go beyond setting 4 and whilst the extra efficiency was good, my skin didn't cope with it so it seems #4 is the best balance of comfort/efficiency for me.

The razor is also extremely well balanced with the balance point about 1cm below the adjuster. I find this to be the perfect place to hold the razor.

The CRSW soap is just wonderful! The scent is magnificent. This and their Fougere Moderne are a couple of my most pleasing/comforting scents.
I would put the scents in the same genre as MWF, haslinger schafmilch, SV dolomiti.

*I used my DIY pre shave oil as post shave and it was fantastic! The lemon Myrtle oil gives a very light tingling on the skin, like an astringent, and left the skin feeling really nice! This may become my regular aftershave oil instead of the vitamin E oil I've been using lately.

20190618-090910-1.jpg

Last edited:
Pre-shave: Proraso Eucalytpus and Menthol cream
Brush: Parker pure badger
Soap/Cream: Mix of soap remnants
Razor: Karve (E)
Blade: Polsilver (1)
Post-shave: Alum block, Witch hazel, Bulldog original aftershave balm, Myrsol Formula C
Hair Tonic: Eau de Portugal

Pre: Hot towel, Pre shave oil (Nico's home brew)
Razor: Wolfman WR1,SB Standard Gap, WR2 Handle
Blade: Feather
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk2
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Skye Fall

Pre: Hot towel, Pre shave oil (Nico's home brew)
Razor: Wolfman WR1,SB Standard Gap, WR2 Handle
Blade: Feather
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk2
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Skye Fall

How much Skye Fall remains in the tub, Fred? Must be getting low?

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage, butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Phoenix & Beau Spitfire shaving soap
Razor: Vintage L 1 Gillette 'Slim" adjustable (5)
Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (3)
Post-shave: Phoenix & Beau Spitfire balm
Fragrance: Phoenix & Beau Spitfire solid cologne

So good

You know I look at my 50+ year old Slim and wonder - why bother with that model T thing ...

RyzpYZYl.jpg

Pre - hot shower
Soap - Stirling Hot Apple Cider
Brush - Yaqi Mysterious Space Tuxedo
Razor - Karve C
Blade - Gillette Rubie (1)
Post - Stirling Bergamot Lavender

After several days with 'the other razor' i was slightly apprehensive that the karve wouldn't live up to the slant's abilities of late. I was wrong and probably compare the blade feel of the slant to the C as very close.
The shave today feels just as close and not one area of irritation exists. Just perfect.

dxFiJw9l.jpg

Pre: Coconut Oil
Soap: Pb The Blue Tansy
Brush: Semogue 610
Razor: Puma 226
The Blue Tansy was very pleasant/calming. I had picked up the Semogue some time back in a BST and was inspired to look it out after @ShaveOn had picked up a Semogue (830?). The 610 is slightly shorter loft than the 830. I'm not sure whether the knot is destined to fall out one day as it seems slightly loose in the socket. Probably most similar to my Omega 10019.

dxFiJw9l.jpg

Pre: Coconut Oil
Soap: Pb The Blue Tansy
Brush: Semogue 610
Razor: Puma 226
The Blue Tansy was very pleasant/calming. I had picked up the Semogue some time back in a BST and was inspired to look it out after @ShaveOn had picked up a Semogue (830?). The 610 is slightly shorter loft than the 830. I'm not sure whether the knot is destined to fall out one day as it seems slightly loose in the socket. Probably most similar to my Omega 10019.

I know boar brush knots are not threaded into the handle however, when one of my semo boar knots was loose, I turned it as if I'm screwing it into a thread and it tightened up. Perhaps give that a go?

DIY lemon myrtle oil
Rockwell Model T w/Polsilver
EJ STFv1 21mm
Pb soap - Carronoki
DIY lemon myrtle oil

The model T provided another easy, smooth shave on setting 4. I did take it down to 3.5 but there as no noticeable difference in comfort so went back to 4.

It's a smooth shaver and feels good on the skin. The efficiency range is excellent as I have a tough beard and use the 6 plate on the 6S and 6C and D plate on the Karve.

I could easily go higher for efficiency but my skin won't allow it.
So #4 on the Rockwell is basically equal to R6 for efficiency. Leaving #5 and #6 for those whose skin can take the extra efficiency.

The 21mm synthetic is my only synthetic under 24mm. Surprisingly holds 3 passes worth of lather! Amazing brush the version1 STF!
Muhle should never have discontinued it...or should have offered both the v1 and v2!

Pb soap was a pleasure as always! Very easy to work with and lather is always rich and glossy!

20190619-084117-1.jpg

Last edited:
You're spot on @Pbgoose, it's the 830 I recently picked up, gradually breaking it in using it every other day or thereabouts.
Are you enjoying the 830? It's the brush I would have chosen if I was buying from a store due to the higher loft but I'm happy with the 610, it's got good backbone but still very nice on the face and the smaller size makes it quite dextrous in the hand.

Are you enjoying the 830? It's the brush I would have chosen if I was buying from a store due to the higher loft but I'm happy with the 610, it's got good backbone but still very nice on the face and the smaller size makes it quite dextrous in the hand.
Yes very much so, it was eating / absorbing the lather initially so I did a few more test lathers before starting to using it to shave again. I might be soaking it a bit too long as it doesn't have as much backbone as I was expecting. I leave it soaking before I get into the shower so I guess around five minutes. I may try reducing the soaking time to see if that helps keep the bristles a bit stiffer. Apart from that, no complaints. I've heard new boars tend to hog or absorb the lather during the break in period so hopefully the more I use it the better it gets.

I'm still getting used to boar brushes as they behave quite differently to the synthetics I'm used to. I don't think I'll ever stop using my synthetic brushes but it's nice to have the variety in the rotation adding boars to the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.