Shave of the Day Thread - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a new tube of Proraso. What’s your style to lather with the tubes?

My method....
I place a decent size dollop of Proraso cream (Almond size) in the bowl. Wet my brush with warm water, squeeze out excess water and start swirling. Using my fingers gradually add water a few drops at a time. Keep swirling until happy with the consistency and you are good to go.
(y)

My method....
I place a decent size dollop of Proraso cream (Almond size) in the bowl. Wet my brush with warm water, squeeze out excess water and start swirling. Using my fingers gradually add water a few drops at a time. Keep swirling until happy with the consistency and you are good to go.
(y)
I seem to get confused with the almond size. I originally thought this meant an almond that has no shell/husk and is ready to eat, straight from the packet.
My own experience is that I need around an almond size which is fresh from the tree and 3-4 times larger than the edible item.

yG2neGBl.jpg

Hi @Razor Burn I was considering RR Baby Smooth after reading some really good reviews and because I was so impressed by other RR razors GC, G37, JAWS for quality at an affordable price. I also judge a razor by it's longevity and noticed the Baby Smooth had a lot of good review 3 - 5 years ago but not much since, which indicates it is no longer in rotation for most SOTD posters. How do you rate it?
I purchased the Aluminium version around a year ago as a potential daily driver but I like to rotate my razor's so it gets occasional use. It's easily fallen off most people's radar considering the recent releases of more 'premium' DE's but as a daily shaver it works really nice when paired with a sharper blade. I'm yet to have any issues with the weight and I believe @alfredus might own the Titanium version so he could provide some helpful feedback.
In all honesty It was one of those impulse buys when starting out and it's fine for a beginner but by no ways a RAD killer hence it disappearing from most people's SOTD posts.

The baby smooth is a fantastic razor and I enjoy it a lot! I have both an AL version (which I might sell one day, if I ever have the time digging it out and taking some pics) and a Ti version (which is very dear to my heart, as it belonged to the late @Draco Noir)

The problem with razorock razors is, that there is just too much chatter going on...and that's as long as he keeps producing them. Once the chatter dies, he moves on to the next razor project. I guess that's cool, because he can produce a variety of good quality razors at a very low price, but then some of the great ones (like the V1 stealth slant) get buried along the way.

In any way I rate the baby smooth way higher than the game changer (both plates, which I also might sell one day, if I ever have the time digging it out and taking some pics) and has everything I look for in a razor: nimble, low head profile, no blade chatter, durable material, smooth shave.

It is no Wolfman, but the shave quality for me is up there

I seem to get confused with the almond size. I originally thought this meant an almond that has no shell/husk and is ready to eat, straight from the packet.
My own experience is that I need around an almond size which is fresh from the tree and 3-4 times larger than the edible item.

yG2neGBl.jpg
Whatever works for you Mr @tim33z ;)

yG2neGBl.jpg

YASMV?

We don’t need to know details about your Ass @Mark1966

Exodus 20:17 (KJV) - "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's."

Y ALMOND SIZE MV ...

The baby smooth is a fantastic razor and I enjoy it a lot! I have both an AL version (which I might sell one day, if I ever have the time digging it out and taking some pics) and a Ti version (which is very dear to my heart, as it belonged to the late @Draco Noir)

The problem with razorock razors is, that there is just too much chatter going on...and that's as long as he keeps producing them. Once the chatter dies, he moves on to the next razor project. I guess that's cool, because he can produce a variety of good quality razors at a very low price, but then some of the great ones (like the V1 stealth slant) get buried along the way.

In any way I rate the baby smooth way higher than the game changer (both plates, which I also might sell one day, if I ever have the time digging it out and taking some pics) and has everything I look for in a razor: nimble, low head profile, no blade chatter, durable material, smooth shave.

It is no Wolfman, but the shave quality for me is up there
Well written @alfredus. I forgot about the low profile head and the AL version still provides super smooth, efficient shaves despite the lighter weight. I echo your remarks regarding RR/Italian Barber as the original release of the Game Changer left a really salty taste in my mouth plus the cost of shipping is a real killer, thats if you manage to get what you want before it sells out or ceases production :( Thank goodness for the guys at Vshod.

Well written @alfredus. I forgot about the low profile head and the AL version still provides super smooth, efficient shaves despite the lighter weight. I echo your remarks regarding RR/Italian Barber as the original release of the Game Changer left a really salty taste in my mouth plus the cost of shipping is a real killer, thats if you manage to get what you want before it sells out or ceases production :( Thank goodness for the guys at Vshod.
IMG-20191117-202458.jpg
IMG-20191117-202742.jpg
IMG-20191117-202818.jpg

As far as almond sized dollops go. This one has lasted three days and probably 3 more in it.
Not being thrifty but too much loaded onto the brush spoils my technique and bowl lathering is not for me. Only loading enough on the brush for a good face lather and two passes.
1HL7t2t.jpg

Finished off the week with R41 handle on JAWS and it took the razor to a new level of smoothness and efficiency
Pre-shave: Bloom water
Brush: Semogue - Excelsior 1460 Boar
Soap: Stirling - Island Man sample from @nav1
Razors: JAWS with R41 Hollow Handle
Blade: Astra SP #2
Post-shave: Alum and Stirling Witch Hazel Aloe and Menthol

Last edited:
PPhFWKrl.jpg

Still enjoying using Bombora and with some warmer days coming it’ll come into its own.

I paired the Mühle R89 head with a Rockwell 6S handle to add some extra weight. I had no issue with the balance but I felt the extra weight allowed a closer cut than with the stock Mühle handle. Polsilver was the blade of choice and it nailed down 2 days growth in 2 passes.

I had read on a different site about a guy who gets excellent results shaving his neck by doing very short strokes making an X type pattern. Overlapping repeatedly if you will. I’ve had a few goes at this and it improves my neck smoothness remarkably, to borderline BBS. No irritation from doing so too!

IMG-20191117-203039.jpg

Brush: RR 400
Razor: RR Baby Smooth Al
Blade: Polsilver SI (6)
Pre: Warm water
Bowl: Fine Lathering bowl
Soap: APR Alfredus Choice

A wonderfully smooth SOTD and what a delightful scent - it's up there with the best Bay Rum going around :love: Happy shaves!

Status
Not open for further replies.