Good starter kit

Krackar

I'm after a good starter kit for my brother for Christmas. Should I buy a kit from somewhere or put something together myself?

Budget is about $120.

Cheers

Just grab the Rockwell 6C, you can’t go wrong with this fantastic razor
I disagree sorry. For a beginner an adjustable offers too many variables that are not going to help you learn effectively. A good quality tried and tested razor (without adjust ability) offers the perfect baseline for a beginner to get 2-3 months of shaves in (without unnecessary variables) and really nail down the technique before starting to play with different razors. Not saying the Rockwell isn't a fantastic razor here just suggesting it is not ideal for a beginner. Would be a great 2nd or 3rd razor down the track.

Thanks for the options! I was looking at a kit from vshod with an adjustable but as #nsavage has pointed out maybe an adjustable isn't the best. I've got a 34c that doesn't work for me at all. I might PIF it to him and get some nicer soap and brush and bowl.

Thanks for the options! I was looking at a kit from vshod with an adjustable but as #nsavage has pointed out maybe an adjustable isn't the best. I've got a 34c that doesn't work for me at all. I might PIF it to him and get some nicer soap and brush and bowl.
I see you are from the N.T.
See about some chiller soaps and splash from Stirling at Artisan Arcade.

Hi @Krackar are you still in Katherine?
Happy to PIF a decent YAQI synthetic at the Darwin meetup next Tuesday if you can make it.

I'll see if I have some TOBS samplers left that you can have. If I find them and you come to the Darwin meet, all yours.

Thanks for the offers! I'm afraid I drive out early tomorrow morning and am moving to the Sunshine Coast for a few months before moving to Canada. I just ordered a few things from Vshod and will also give him my 34c. He's got a lot thinner facial hair than me so hopefully it works for him.

Thanks for the offers! I'm afraid I drive out early tomorrow morning and am moving to the Sunshine Coast for a few months before moving to Canada. I just ordered a few things from Vshod and will also give him my 34c. He's got a lot thinner facial hair than me so hopefully it works for him.
Best wishes - Katherine to Sunshine Coast this time of year is a wise move mate.

I disagree sorry. For a beginner an adjustable offers too many variables that are not going to help you learn effectively

The Rockwell 6C isn't actually that adjustable though.
It is a handle with interchangeable heads.

If you leave the heads in the box it is a standard 3 piece razor and when you decide you want something more aggressive you just take the spare head out of the box rather than retire the whole thing for a whole new purchase, which will likely be the Rockwell anyway.

The Rockwell 6C isn't actually that adjustable though.
It is a handle with interchangeable heads.

If you leave the heads in the box it is a standard 3 piece razor and when you decide you want something more aggressive you just take the spare head out of the box rather than retire the whole thing for a whole new purchase, which will likely be the Rockwell anyway.
I can guarantee you that if there are additional plates there will be a desire to switch between them and that will introduce variables that will not assist in the learning process.