Something Hairy

My savings that one day I plan to turn into shavings, there's a bit of all sorts I've been hoarding and some of it I have no idea what it is. Different bits of gum, some osage orange, olive, camphor laurel. Will be interesting to see what I end up with to use for making my brush collection.

jhiJjpM.jpg

Thinking these 3 may be interesting

gxS2yVu.jpg
Oh liking this, picking the middle one (y)

Hi @Mitcon always willing to donate to a worthwhile charity and if I get a handmade boar, badger or horse hair brush out of it will be pushing the $$ up.
I think a handmade horse hair P&C made by Mitcon would be something special :)
Actually I'd be happy to pay @Mitcon and let him choose a local charity to support his community directly. Large NGOs are great but local focused groups can generally target the benefit to where it is needed.

Actually I'd be happy to pay @Mitcon and let him choose a local charity to support his community directly. Large NGOs are great but local focused groups can generally target the benefit to where it is needed.
Agreed, @Mitcon mentioned KI wildlife charity guessing that's Kangaroo Island?
Pm'ed @alfredus and @Mark1966. Happy to support Mitcon or a P&C charity auction with members donating auction items and nominating a charity.
I have some Soap Commander, a couple of DE89's and Astra SP I would be happy to auction.

Sorry, worked hard and then was a bit out of it...Overdid myself I guess, Sore, worn and tired, I did make a start on processing that burnt bush and have teaser pics though a lot of blow-outs happened so it's yet to see what works out. I didn't think about how auctions etc and things work here let alone if people had time and what not. And yes Jeff I did mean Kangaroo Island, my wife and I had our honeymoon there 30 odd years ago so it's a bit special to us.

Sorry, damn meds and pain play with your head I forgot the teaser photos.. I prolly shouldnt show these as it's been problematic with burnt bits blowing out etc but I said I had processed started processing the bush and said teaser pics....

aPqenFg.jpg
to this
PCw1uHz.jpg

To this, pen and brush hopefully out of this..
FSoPAsP.jpg

and maybe a soap bowl or thingys dish if it stops blowing apart on me, this
w21VnD6.jpg
The 2 burnt lines are for the father & son Dick and Clayton who lost their lives fighting fires on Kangaroo Island. The charcoal bit/burn interrupts their live lines, so sad.

Last edited:
Sorry, damn meds and pain play with your head I forgot the teaser photos.. I prolly shouldnt show these as it's been problematic with burnt bits blowing out etc but I said I had processed started processing the bush and said teaser pics....

aPqenFg.jpg
to this
PCw1uHz.jpg

To this, pen and brush hopefully out of this..
FSoPAsP.jpg

and maybe a soap bowl or thingys dish if it stops blowing apart on me, this
w21VnD6.jpg
The 2 burnt lines are for the father & son Dick and Clayton who lost their lives fighting fires on Kangaroo Island. The charcoal bit/burn interrupts their live lines, so sad.
Wow lovely timber, work and thoughtful.

Mate, are you still planning to auction?

Haven't decided which way to go, just a sale may be easier for everyone. I just want whatever funds they raise to goto a bushfire wildlife charity, with a preference myself to Kangaroo Island as mentioned already. Can't do much till I have knots/parts and make all the things and have finished items to sell/auction anyways. May still take a while as I've been notified some of the things I'm waiting on are delayed/lost in transit.

Not really anything I've made or done to add, still waiting on bits to turn up and to if I'm honest trying to recover but something turned up in the post today I thought I might add and tease you all. I had got myself a pen case for my B-Day Burl etc.... well it turned up today and thought it looked prudy with the new fire pen, looks a bit classy don't ya think! So that's how it'll be, good idea anyways as it protects the pen for travel etc as well as looking nice.

e2uj1mo.jpg

Closer

CwJpDTu.jpg

for us old blind buggers lol

6wR4MW6.jpg

WoooHooo, man I'm excited about these knots and you guys have me worked up on trying a boar and am keen as mustard on the idea of horse. Well am keen on them all I hope, I'm thinking I should have got smaller boar knots lol. I went with the tall loft big knots but man, I've never used a monster brush that big, I run into trouble with my 26mm ones hahaha.

Upon first looks/feel I'm kind of blown away, nothing like I was expecting and I think I may enjoy them after all. So super strong and a backbone that won't quit but the hairs aren't as uncomfortable as I had expected, in fact they feel kinda nice and scrubby. The horse both feel different to each other, quite a softer feel and luxurious. Still some backbone, similar to soft - middle badger and tips that feel silky. 2 synths that both feel very soft, timber wolf and snow leopard which are very soft. About what you would expect.

c0OtvPS.jpg
vHOeAPU.jpg

ngCYVVf.jpg

I expect animal hair to have a smell, at least for a short time aas they have all sorts of oils etc. I have a badger that was a Xmas gift that I swear all hair harvested for it came from it's anus :sick: lol, after half dozen or so uses it's actually not that bad now, either that or I'm getting used to it. I watched a video on the forum about breaking in the boar, cold water for 1 - 4 days with 24ly scrubs to hasten things up.

For people who use a single brush it's easy as in a week or two at most a brush is broken in. For a fool such as myself I have more brushes than weekdays and keep them all in rotation as I enjoy each for their difference. But point is it slows the normal breaking in process quite a bit. The Boar is very much like a super stiff broom lol in how strong the backbone is, there's a bit of scrib/scratch in the hair ends but not as much as I was expecting. I hated the 2 I tried and this while super stiff still has kinda scratchy yes but still soft ends.

Thinking about the backbone the size may be less of an issue than I had first thought. Being so stiff I don't think it'll fall out as easily as a badger or softer fiber knot. All good fun, think I'm going to enjoy the boar a lot after all

To save on messages for those that may be interested, these knots came from Shave Forge this time around. The nice surprise was they were all individually packed which was nice and how it should be, helps keep the knot from being mashed to death and put out of shape. Wasn't too happy with how the last knots turned up, but on with the story.....

The Boar is their 28mm x 70mm model : actual sizing is smallest part of plug base 28.02 with the largest part right above plug measuring 29.44mm so more like a 30mm knot rofl. All knot plugs had a depth of around 9mm and the loft from base to tip measures 72.53mm.

Wa4CG32.jpg
ziqLhWf.jpg

p3S7LRv.jpg
waycYCx.jpg

All other knots were 24mm models with varying loft heights. All bases just a fraction over or under 24mm with thickest part just above base plugs all about 25.4 - 25.9mm so more like 26mm knots lol and lofts all slightly longer than stated.

They seem well packed and fairly dense, minimal shedding on just having a play with them and while they do have a true animal funk it's actually not as bad as others I've had but there's no hiding the fact they are genuine natural hair products hehehe.

The boar's backbone is so strong it feels like the hairs will snap rather than bend, it's going to be a good scrubber maybe and the horse is the opposite. It's not quite as soft as a synthetic but it's closer than a badger, yet to see how floppy when set'n wet though. Shipping is a little high for a single or just a couple of knots but the knots themself are well priced, I bought several though and the shipping stayed the same so it works out ok or in your favour when buying several knots.

I'm very pleased with them, though I'll leave final judgement to see once soaked, splayed, spun and see if/how much they will shed in use etc. So far though am fairly impressed (y) They also list some extra/ultra dense badger models which have my interest but I couldn't afford anymore for now and I have several badger brushes already. Maybe at some later point I'll get to try out those.