scallops recipes

sealer

I am hosting tomorrow a small dinner. It is based in freshly caught scallops and crayfish heads stored for some time (best part of the cray)...
I was wondering about making a saffron sauce (I have some really good saffron), but I am open to any suggestion as long as it does not includes scallop pie or any other kind of fine seafood brutalization...
Normally I would go for raw scallops, or just have them in the fry pan to get some color, but I want to evolve :)
Thanks in advance mates

With good quality ingredients "Less is More" lightly pan fried with a simple sauce sounds very evolved to me (y)

Yes, that is I was thinking. One of my mates is from Mallorca (an island in the mediterranean, part of the catalan culture), and they have the tradition of mixed coocking of seafood and land food (mar i muntanya, sea and mountain, literally), with some great examples of scampy and chicken, or sturgeon caviar and bone marrow, not just because my inexperience in cocking chicken or rabbit, but also because it is good, but there is a fine line easy to trespass when cooking these things together, because then, you cannot just separate the stuff.
I agree with you, and the best thing is that because their are prepared apart, still we can choose to use or to use not....

Raw fresh scallops thinly sliced with a vinaigrette (lime/lemon, some EVOO, very finely chopped shallots, fresh watercress or similar light fresh herbs)...seriously why do anything else? If you have access to fresh seafood, doing more to it is almost a crime for me.

If you want it "cooked" maybe just blowtorch it, so you get caramelisation without the risk of going to far?

I haven't had real caviar since 1999. When I grew up, we always had a 1/2kg or 1kg tin in the fridge. The thought of anyone eating it with anything but a splash of acid makes me want to cry. But then I guess whoever can afford the current price tag of ~10000$ per kg can do whatever they want with it.

Maybe one day I'll try the new Italian farmed stuff.

Raw fresh scallops thinly sliced with a vinaigrette (lime/lemon, some EVOO, very finely chopped shallots, fresh watercress or similar light fresh herbs)...seriously why do anything else? If you have access to fresh seafood, doing more to it is almost a crime for me.

If you want it "cooked" maybe just blowtorch it, so you get caramelisation without the risk of going to far?

I haven't had real caviar since 1999. When I grew up, we always had a 1/2kg or 1kg tin in the fridge. The thought of anyone eating it with anything but a splash of acid makes me want to cry. But then I guess whoever can afford the current price tag of ~10000$ per kg can do whatever they want with it.

The part in bold Is what I am thinking... my english is not so good yet.

I had them already raw, but now it is time to cook. I was surprised how sweet they were, and the texture was quite pleasant too

I had also caviar as a kid often. My uncle was a oil vessel captain, going to Iran and back (he died 20 years ago) and he always have for for all of us. Also bring other stuff like jeans (when they were not a common thing in my area), tobaqcco, and turtles (he had in his second home several in the backyard, I keep some of these too). But, the recipe with bone marrow must be a must. Developed by one of the best chefs in the world, and I have to agree. Sometimes we use somethiong lean or different for a fatty product.... but c'mon, raw salmon (better, ocean trout) and avocado... is so nice, and both are really fatty products.

cheers

@alfredus is right on the money.
Here in Perth, the freshest scallops come on the shell from Rottnest Island. I serve them raw as sashimi, but with one exception. I do not add any soy sauce, wasabi or pickled ginger, as is typical with other sashimi. Fresh raw scallops are so delicately sweet and delicious that I add nothing.
A tip for prep - sever the foot prior to attempting to pry open the shell, and carefully separate the offal from the meat and orange roe. Rinse gently if you can detect sand present. Then, slice thinly and consume au naturel!