SMP - Scalp Micro Pigmentation (Happy to answer pers Q's)

Phunk

This sub-forum doesn't get much love, so thought I'd add a different twist to it.

If anyone has thought of, or has heard of SMP procedures, I've had had it done.

About 30 hours all up of little micro needles popping your melon.

Happy to answer any questions you have and when I've got the chance, I'll even pop up a pic of the melon.

I'm probably not the first person to ask this, but how much does it hurt? (On a scale of 1-10 megahurts)
it's the most common question!

Everyones pain tolerance is different, in my experience it's between a comforting head scratch and half a mosquito bite.

The needle is TINY compared to a normal tattoo needle, at one stage I started dozing off when they were doing the crown because of how good it felt, but was being kept awake because it stung a little more than what I would have preferred.

I've recently had my back lasered.. if the back hair lasering is 10/10, SMP is about a 2/10.

This sub-forum doesn't get much love, so thought I'd add a different twist to it.

If anyone has thought of, or has heard of SMP procedures, I've had had it done.

About 30 hours all up of little micro needles popping your melon.

Happy to answer any questions you have and when I've got the chance, I'll even pop up a pic of the melon.

Pardon my lack of knowledge.
What are SMP procedures?

Pardon my lack of knowledge.
What are SMP procedures?

basically, they draw thousands and thousands of dots on your bald dome to make it look like you've got stubble. re-create the hairline you once had and match the colour to your existing hair.

Like a permanent crew cut.

Like this - https://images.app.goo.gl/Mz6AnbQ21zTBBnr77

Each session can go for a few hours and they generally knock in about 15-20k dots each time.

That is amazing!

I'm glad that's not something I have to be anxious about. I have fair hair (or might have, could be grey or white now, no-one knows, even me) but have been shaving both face and dome since I was 40. If I suddenly didn't have to shave my head, I think I would miss it.

Those images are pretty amazing, though. As a matter of interest, what did this cost, if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:
That picture looks 1000% better than I thought it would. In the flesh though, is it at all apparent where actual hair ends and the SMP begins? I assume you need to keep a pretty tight cut on any remaining hair, what's the head shaving schedule like with this done?

Don’t even bloody think about doing it
giphy.gif

I'm glad that's not something I have to be anxious about. I have fair hair (or might have, could be grey or white now, no-one knows, even me) but have been shaving both face and dome since I was 40. If I suddenly didn't have to shave my head, I think I would miss it.

Those images are pretty amazing, though. As a matter of interest, what did this cost, if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry mate for the delay, it can go from anywhere between 2k-6k depending on how much work your dome needs :)

That picture looks 1000% better than I thought it would. In the flesh though, is it at all apparent where actual hair ends and the SMP begins? I assume you need to keep a pretty tight cut on any remaining hair, what's the head shaving schedule like with this done?

Spot on, I shave my head every 2nd day with my Wahl clippers on a 0, it makes it completely seamless.

The only way you really tell is if you let it grow out too much or someone touches it. I've never had anyone actually guess I've had it done and it's been 3 years

+1 (y)

I don't feel properly groomed unless everyone can see their reflection on my dome. It even shows up as a strange sort of flare on Google Earth... ;)

I know that feeling, the head-shave used to be a part of my daily routine in the shower, mach 3 and go at it!

Growing the sides out and having the matching top has definitely knocked off a decade in age though. I don't regret doing it for a second.

Hi Guys,

Special thanks to Phunk for starting this thread and sharing his insight and experience!

I'm looking at getting SMP now after making some enquiries about a full HT. Considering I'm Norwood 6/7 and the cost involved as well as going overseas with no guarantees, I'm more than happy continuing to clipper my head like I have been for years.

I live in Sydney and was wondering whether anyone had any recommendations for which clinic to go and get this done here?

Thanks for your help!

Yianz