Shave of the Day Thread - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
F0YpxfV.jpg

Now you're just showing off! ;)
But seriously, very cool that you got your original batch from source (y).

Yes I was and Yes it was.

It was a family holiday and I didn’t even think about it until I stumbled past on the way to our accommodation - which was about 150m away!

Of course I had to go back then!

Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (5) / The Stray Whisker Aftershave Balm (Australian made)

@SpeedyPC this has caught my interest. I have a couple of bottles of the Dickinsons Witch Hazel gathering dust in a cupboard. Found it a bit too drying through the winter months.

I’m assuming the glycerin helps lock in a bit more moisture? I might give this a try.

@SpeedyPC this has caught my interest. I have a couple of bottles of the Dickinsons Witch Hazel gathering dust in a cupboard. Found it a bit too drying through the winter months.

I’m assuming the glycerin helps lock in a bit more moisture? I might give this a try.
Make sure you get natural plant base glycerin is good for the skin, don’t get animal base glycerin.

To get natural plant base glycerin is only at the chemist or any local health food stores in your area, some comes in a 50ml or 100ml bottle.

Natural plant base glycerin help restore moisture and is also a natural food which the skin really needs.

Last edited:
...The Rover is astounding; any soap with any brush whips up a great lather in no time.
I'm thinking of glueing a few 'bumps' on the bottom of the Fine bowl, maybe small buttons or silicon dots...
Love my Rover bowl too. Especially good for cold mornings, as it floats in the washbasin like a cork. Your "bumps" sound like a good project for Sugru, a mouldable glue. Really useful stuff to keep in the fridge (so it lasts forever), and you can mix different sachets to make whatever colour you like.

Make sure you get natural plant base glycerin is good for the skin, don’t get animal base glycerin.

To get natural plant base glycerin is only at the chemist or any local health food stores in your area, some comes in a 50ml or 100ml bottle.

Natural plant base glycerin help restore moisture and is also a natural food which the skin really needs.
Glycerin is more accurately known as glycerol. C3H8O3 (I can't get subscripts to work here), ie a 3-carbon alcohol. It doesn't matter whether it comes from plants or animals, it's the same molecule, the backbone of all fats (triglycerides).

Yes I was and Yes it was.

It was a family holiday and I didn’t even think about it until I stumbled past on the way to our accommodation - which was about 150m away!

Of course I had to go back then!
Holiday in the heart of Florence - I’m guessing that your brownie points with Mrs ‘66 overflowed the jar!

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: APR / Squadron Soaps Australians All shaving soap
Razor: Gillette NEW head on TSW Bren handle
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless (3)
Post-shave: APR / Squadron Soaps Australians All splash
Fragrance: N/A

This is such a fun combination - love the Australians All!

RfqkqTTl.jpg

Holiday in the heart of Florence - I’m guessing that your brownie points with Mrs ‘66 overflowed the jar!

It was a great trip, London, Arras, Paris, Swiss Alps (for one night, could not afford more!) and down the Bernina Express, Florence and Rome - sensational time with the family. Such special memories are created.

IMG-20200920-125107.jpg

Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
Razor: Charcoal Goods Gen 1 Level 2 Antique Brass + Stinger V1 handle (P&C 2019/20 Charity Auction LE)
Blade: Gillette Nacet (2)
Soap: Pereira Shavery Shaving Soap with Activated Charcoal
Pre: Shower + PAA Prickly Pear mentholated pre-shave soap
ATG, WTG, Touchups = BBS :love:

Two quick passes resulted in a BBS finish... Happy shaves!

Of those three articles you cite, only the third seems to be based on any actual knowledge rather than feel-good mumbo-jumbo. If you go into a chemists shop and buy a bottle of glycerol (such as the Gold Cross common brand I have in my bathroom cabinet), it is described as glycerol 100% 1mL/mL. This very specifically ( and legally) means it's a purified product, so it makes no difference where it comes from.

Incidentally, our tallow soaps yield a lot of glycerol as part of the manufacturing process, as the aliphatic (non-water-soluble) part of the fat is separated from its glycerol backbone by boiling it up with a strong base such as sodium or potassium hydroxide.

Soap: Phoenix and Beau Trafalgar
Razor: RR GC-JAWS
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow (3)
Scuttle: Captain's Choice "Tempest"
Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" 26mm Tuxedo

I'm a new fan of the Yellows, got perfect easy BBS on days 1 and 2 (perhaps even better than Nacet), but today not so much. DFS+ only, head and face make for a lot of shaving. Soap works OK, but scent reminds me of some shampoo I had back in the '70s: not offensive, but nothing to write home about. Just have to work on using it up...

Of those three articles you cite, only the third seems to be based on any actual knowledge rather than feel-good mumbo-jumbo. If you go into a chemists shop and buy a bottle of glycerol (such as the Gold Cross common brand I have in my bathroom cabinet), it is described as glycerol 100% 1mL/mL. This very specifically ( and legally) means it's a purified product, so it makes no difference where it comes from.

Incidentally, our tallow soaps yield a lot of glycerol as part of the manufacturing process, as the aliphatic (non-water-soluble) part of the fat is separated from its glycerol backbone by boiling it up with a strong base such as sodium or potassium hydroxide.
0c7XIwx.gif

P3wORGg.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.