Matching Seven-Day Sets (M7DS)

How did the Japanese set go?
The Japanese set are still going through their first week of use to determine if any further love is required to bring any edges up to standard. So far Monday, Thursday and Friday are all up to my shave-ready standard. Tuesday and Wednesday will need a little further work on the pasted balsa strops. Saturday and Sunday still have to be used.

I have finished the first week's shaving with my Japanese M7DS. All SR's were up to my standard except for the "Tuesday" and "Wednesday" SR's. Those two recalcitrant SR's will go through a full diamond pasted balsa stropping progression while the other five will just have their normal 60 laps each on the 0.1um diamond pasted hanging balsa strop.

On Monday I will start again with the "Monday" SR of this Japanese set and then over the next two days compare "Tuesday" and "Wednesday" SR's to "Monday". If all goes as I expect, I will spend the rest of next week taking some of my other SR's for a drive.

Last Friday I picked up the case for my fourth M7DS. This case is very similar to the case for my Japanese M7DS, fine-grain Rosewood and just the dimensions changed to suit the Titan 1918 T.H.64 SR's. Not bad for about AUD 74.
MYhKn3n.jpg

l17Dtle.jpg

Here is the case with the SR's inside.
24GAvgA.jpg

This week I will fit some leather pieces at the wedge-end supports and hopefully on Wednesday get them to my engraver. The spines will be engraved (about AUD 10 each) in Gothic English with some scroll work at either end of the day name.

These SR's are available from Trendhim Singapore for only about AUD270 each including shipping to Australia.

For those who are interested, here is the design of the case for this set.
dZCN1FO.jpg

wdN1on7.jpg

8hTEtOX.jpg

Last edited:
My last four Gold Dollar4 W59's were delivered this morning. Now I have enough for my fifth and DEFINITELY, POSITIVELY and possibly FINAL matching seven-day set of straight razors. The four SR's on the right are the latest to be received and have not been "fixed". The three on the left have already been bread-knifed and hone up to my shave-ready standard.

iiRXExm.jpg

I had already picked up the timber case for this set. Here are the W59's in their case.

4rgeTyu.jpg

As usual, the four new W59's are a bit too happy for my liking so I will be bread-knifing them back to a straight edge and then hone them up to my shave-ready standard. Engraving (in Chinese) will be done on this set hopefully next week.

This will be my cheapest M7DS coming in at about AUD 200 total. My most expensive set, the Titan 1918 ACRO T.H.70's, was about AUD1,000 total

Sadly I had to cancel my order for the W59. It should have arrived over two weeks ago (ordered in August), but I don't think it will ever arrive. This is the second I have ordered via Amazon that never arrived; don't think I'll bother with Amazon again.

Sadly I had to cancel my order for the W59. It should have arrived over two weeks ago (ordered in August), but I don't think it will ever arrive. This is the second I have ordered via Amazon that never arrived; don't think I'll bother with Amazon again.

Postal issues everywhere. Amazon at least give you a refund without headaches. Don't give up.

This month I finally got around to finishing the honing on my Chinese M7DS. They all started off with a 180° bevel angle after bread-knifing out their excessive (for me) smiles. It took a lot of work but I was very happy with the results.

Bevels were set and refined on whetstones up to 10k, then polish on lapping film to 1um. From the film, the blade's were finished off on diamond pasted balsa strops to 0.1um. All edges were well up to my shave-ready standard except 星期四 (Thursday).

星期四 was the best edge that I have ever shaved with, matching a Feather edge in my shavette. Just a fluke as I have never achieved an edge like that before. Still, I now know that it can be done so that I have something to aim for with all my other SR's.

After giving my Japanese M7DS to my little brother, I am down to just four sets; Latin, Chinese, Old English and English. My brother spends a lot of his time living in Japan and intends to retire there, once he is allowed out of Australia.

I am thinking of giving my Old English M7DS to my sister in Israel.She will have no use for them but they could be a nice heirloom to pass on to any grandson that she may have.

That will leave me with three sets. I intend to keep my Latin and English set. The Chinese set, I will probably sell on Lazada in the Philippines. A few Chinese/Filipinos have shown an interest.

I would like to keep my SR numbers down to about the early 30's.