MP3 player advice needed.

Blackie

The guy from over the ditch
I don't want to carry my music around on my phone.
I would like something similar to my old (the screen just died!) Samsung YP3. Something nice and slim to pop into a shirt pocket.
With the old Samsung I had 8GB of various music albums, and it could shuffle through the albums and randomly play songs.
The modern (?) players seem to only allow the shuffle function for just 1 album...not allowing all albums to be shuffled.
I talked to apple about a new iPod and was told that the new iPods don't allow a shuffle through all the albums. Seems strange that my 13 year old Samsung could do it, but not the modern gear.
What's out there guys that will let me shuffle through all the music in all my albums. Need (would like!) a minimum of 16GB but 8GB would 'maybe' be OK if that's all that's available.

I would suggest looking on ebay (or wherever) for an old ipod classic in good condition. But they may be getting hard to find. The 160GB one should have enough space for you :D I've got hundreds of albums on mine in lossless format. I only use mp3 in the car, where the noise of the diesel makes the better quality redundant.

Thanks for that. Yes, found a new (old stock)...but seems there is a heap of China made copies (dodgy) on there as well.
I had the old 120GB Classic years ago but it had the 'glitch' fault that Apple never sorted. Was lots of complaints online about it at the time.
Playing a song, get maybe half way through, sudden 'click' and it would jump to a new song. Quite random. Threw it out when the battery finally packed up.

I have a Sony Walkman NWE395, 16gb of storage. I mainly use it when flying combined with noise cancelling buds. there are fancier more expensive models. this one works well and worth you looking into. you can also load photos onto it if you like. it has shuffle mode but I don't use it. check out YT as I'm sure there's be some user reviews.

There are quite a few different devices that can meet your needs depending on your budget. Look into Dap's (Digital Music Player). They have dedicated AMP and DAC system that will even make your MP3 songs sound slightly better. The below list has players that are small and poketable and most support wireless streaming function as well including shuffling playlist.
Lastly all these player have online reviews that can help with decision making. In New Zealand you can demo some of the brands listed at Addicted to Audio store. Goodluck🙂

HIBI R3pro
Shanling Q1
FIIO M3 pro
FIIO M5
Sony NW-A55L

I bought an Apple Touch iPod today. 32GB so it's big enough for me.
I figured that it has some advantages over just a plain vanilla MP3 music player as we already have 3 iPads and an iPhone.
Busy bunging all 81 music albums on to it now.
Will see how good it is later tonight.
Thanks guys.
Don’t forget to include the Beach Boy’s

I bought an Apple Touch iPod today. 32GB so it's big enough for me.
I figured that it has some advantages over just a plain vanilla MP3 music player as we already have 3 iPads and an iPhone.
Busy bunging all 81 music albums on to it now.
Will see how good it is later tonight.
Thanks guys.
with apple devices, can't you just go to all songs and hit shuffle rather than going to albums to shuffle?

with apple devices, can't you just go to all songs and hit shuffle rather than going to albums to shuffle?
It depends on whether you want to shuffle all tracks, or all albums. It allows you to do either. That said, there are times when I don't bother with the old iPod, much as I like having the dedicated device. It's somewhat tedious that you can't just drop your folders on using any old file manager, you have to use iTunes or one of the other utilities available to manage the database.

A lot of the time I use Poweramp on my Android phone, which has my entire music collection encoded as FLAC (lossless) files including all the album art on a 512GB micro SDcard. When the iPod finally dies, I'll just stick with this.

Yes, you can...but when I asked Apple (via Apple chat) a few days ago they told me that you couldn't!
I mentioned this to family member and she said that Apple chat folks were wrong as she had an iPod Touch and it was fine.
So, I bought one after confirming that it would do the complete song list shuffles I wanted.
Has a lot of crappage on it that I don't need or want re the apps, but I'm turning off the ones that I have no use for.
Plugged in my Sennheiser headphones and finally...lovely sound.

It depends on whether you want to shuffle all tracks, or all albums. It allows you to do either. That said, there are times when I don't bother with the old iPod, much as I like having the dedicated device. It's somewhat tedious that you can't just drop your folders on using any old file manager, you have to use iTunes or one of the other utilities available to manage the database.

A lot of the time I use Poweramp on my Android phone, which has my entire music collection encoded as FLAC (lossless) files including all the album art on a 512GB micro SDcard. When the iPod finally dies, I'll just stick with this.
I haven't used a dedicated MP3 player in about 13 years, just been using whatever phone I have had at the time. Recently I used Google pLay music for my media, but now I have Youtube Music and a subscription, on top of my 100GB music collection on my phone. I never liked my Apple devices, even after having an iPod Video 30GB and 8Gb iPod Touch

Yes, you can...but when I asked Apple (via Apple chat) a few days ago they told me that you couldn't!
I mentioned this to family member and she said that Apple chat folks were wrong as she had an iPod Touch and it was fine.
So, I bought one after confirming that it would do the complete song list shuffles I wanted.
Has a lot of crappage on it that I don't need or want re the apps, but I'm turning off the ones that I have no use for.
Plugged in my Sennheiser headphones and finally...lovely sound.
Apple staff aren't the most knowledgeable bunch, I find. Glad you got it sorted!