EDC Torch Thread

You should see the pics of the collections ...
Some of their collections are purely copper bodied torches that are just there to develop patina and never get used. Seems a waste personally, at least we typically use all our shaving gear :D

Tell me, what does the torch geek/nerd/enthusiast/whatever actually do with all those torches? I understand having one to hold in your hand, and a couple of spares, but what do you do with those vast collections? Living out in the bush, I use a torch fairly frequently, but i don't stand outside all night lighting up the darkness.

Sweet eff all mate. They sit there and look pretty 99% of the time and occasionally some get carried. My FW4A is my current EDC and it gets used regularly due to poor lighting in my house and garage, plus around the yard at night to avoid the dog-related land mines, but that's just me.

Does someone need 50+ torches? Not a chance. Most I can rationalise is a couple throwers, floods and EDC's.

My user collection is mostly functional (Excludes headlamps)

Flood to Throw

• Lumintop FW21 Pro 10,000 lumens, 325m throw (Massive flood, moderate throw)
  • Lumintop FW4A 3,600 lumens, 208m throw (Floody, but less so than the FW21 Pro)
  • Olight S2R Baton II 1,150 Lumens, 135m throw (Low throw, but tight bright hotspot)
  • Astrolux EC03 6,700 Lumens, 485m (Throw and flood, but more tighter hotspot)
  • Olight Warrior X Pro 2,100 lumens, 500m (Tight hotspot, great throw with minimal flood)
  • Olight Warrior X Turbo 1,100 lumens, 1km throw (Tight hotspot, no flood)

Tell me, what does the torch geek/nerd/enthusiast/whatever actually do with all those torches? I understand having one to hold in your hand, and a couple of spares, but what do you do with those vast collections? Living out in the bush, I use a torch fairly frequently, but i don't stand outside all night lighting up the darkness.

You should see the pics of the collections ...

Like this as a SMALL example -

sds1CRwl.jpg

Multiple torches I understand, much like multiple razors, but several of the same item in a different colour is a bit much for me.

Don’t you remember NEEDING ato have the whole set of things as a kid?

HEADS UP

Olightstore have a special going for Olight Warrior Mini 1500 lumens (normally $146) plus Obulb lamp (normally $36) together for $75. I've been meaning to get the latter anyway, but I do like the single 18650 battery format for a handheld.

Ended up getting this the other day for my daughter :)

You forgot to mention the silicone caps!

Hmmm, I think I'm OK for torches for many years unless I lose or break one. My Olight headlamp and the Warrior Mini are perfect EDC, and get used all the time. The Warrior X Pro is overkill for most purposes, but when I need a really bright light, that's really bright. My old (but still first-rate) Eagtac D25LC2 torches now live in the cars in case of winter night breakdowns out in the boonies. Those 18650 batteries pack a real punch, and almost never need charging.

Think I'll hold out for the Panasonic 4680 cell sized torches, made for Tesla.
5X the energy density and 6X more power than their existing batteries.

Think I'll hold out for the Panasonic 4680 cell sized torches, made for Tesla.
5X the energy density and 6X more power than their existing batteries.
You'll be waiting a while most likely. Not to mention that the battery is over twice as wide as a 21700 and taller at 4.6cm x 8cm, making it a big battery, likely pretty heavy, and any resulting torches to be chunky like the Olight Marauder 2
8_5f462fcd-79e9-4185-b174-1079d5ec2f4a_1024x.jpg

Last edited:
You'll be waiting a while most likely. Not to mention that the battery is over twice as wide as a 21700 and taller at 4.6cm x 8cm, making it a big battery, likely pretty heavy, and any resulting torches to be chunky like the Olight Marauder 2
8_5f462fcd-79e9-4185-b174-1079d5ec2f4a_1024x.jpg

That sounds perfect, a small length bigger girth torch with stupid runtime and brightness, that has a bit of weight to it..
I can't wait, my wallet otoh..

"Convoy" would be the best value Led torches around, Simon (the owner) works closely with the torch gurus at "https://budgetlightforum.com/" to produce high quality affordable torches with a huge range of lumens and tints. Most of mine are 18650 a couple are 21700, have a look at fasttech.

Convoy indeed do produce a quality budget product that compares to Olight, Fenix etc in their own right!
I do suggest lubing the threads with an appropriate silicone.
It will reduce the metal upon metal squeal that you sometimes get and increase water/dust resistance and one that is oft overlooked, condensation after running the torch and its cell/s inside for an extended period (it's why you read people suggesting upon occasion to loosen the cap or even remove the cell/s entirely after using a torch long enough to heat up).

That sounds perfect, a small length bigger girth torch with stupid runtime and brightness, that has a bit of weight to it..
Convoy indeed do produce a quality budget product that compares to Olight, Fenix etc in their own right!
It will reduce the metal upon metal squeal that you sometimes get and increase water/dust resistance and one that is oft overlooked, condensation after running the torch and its cell/s inside for an extended period (it's why you read people suggesting upon occasion to loosen the cap or even remove the cell/s entirely after using a torch long enough to heat up).
I'll admit, I'm a fan of the fan of coke-can-sized torches, but the heat is the killer with the brightness for LED's, then battery life, currently. Hopefully, they can fix that in the coming years.

Agreed, Convoy make some excellent torches that compete with the best of them, however I think their customer support and warranty is their main letdown. Alright if you are in the torch modding scene, not the best for your average consumer

Convoy torches come with the threads lubed with silicon grease, maybe earlier on they didn't.

I'll admit, I'm a fan of the fan of coke-can-sized torches, but the heat is the killer with the brightness for LED's, then battery life, currently. Hopefully, they can fix that in the coming years.

Agreed, Convoy make some excellent torches that compete with the best of them, however I think their customer support and warranty is their main letdown. Alright if you are in the torch modding scene, not the best for your average consumer

If they had a dealer network the prices would be triple, their QC is pretty good no issues with the dozen I've bought so far.

Can anyone find me a decent dive torch run by 3-4 18650, beam angle less than 10 degrees and run time of 2+ hours on the high setting? Oh and for a decent price of course ;)

Convoy torches come with the threads lubed with silicon grease, maybe earlier on they didn't.
I've always upgraded to either the Nitecore SG7 or Jetbeam MG20 for my threads and gaskets on all torches and highly directional 'torches', yet will go to this next time, after the other two have ran out.
Probably best to buy a rebranded tube of it for about a third of the price.
Harley Davidson Part No. 99861-02 cited evidence
GM GMSPO P/N 12377900, and P/N 10953529 (Canada) cited evidence
Hyundai P/N 00305-F0000-39) cited evidence
Ford Motorcraft XG-12
Is also an OEM product for FCA and Toyota according to documentation above, so may be able to obtain it from either of them, yet FCA probably want you to buy two new vehicles and a lifetime service agreement before they will sell you a tube, for 100x the original branded products price (just don't buy jeep, chrysler, fiat etc folks. Please. It is for your long term good not to)!

Either that or Dupont Krytox.
Krytox Variations and Re-Brands: Finish Line Extreme Flouro, Loctite PFPE Grease, Chris Reeve Knifes Flourinated Grease, Sandwich Shoppe 50/50 mix..
To note some have found the sodium nitrate additive in the anti-oxidation varieties of Krytox can allegedly reduce the wear-resistance of Krytox on Titanium and bare Aluminium, so be careful which variant you get.

Last edited: