Review Chinese Pure Synthetic Badger Bush

Give Yaqi shaving a try. They have some new vegan shaving creams that are on sale at the moment and I have heard good things about it in other circles. Mine is currently at the post office awaiting collection :)

https://www.yaqishaving.com.au/collections/roar

I got the Hunter lodge soap and it's pretty darn good. Whips up tons thick protective layer and the scent of leather/tobacco/musk im happy with. I'd recommend it to others

I would include the links to the item you are reviewing so that it can be purchased or looked at by other members. Might assist with people being able to view the item in more detail outside of a review/opinion piece :)

When there are many vendors offering the same product, I do not include links as that may be seen as favouring a vendor. My preference is for people to choose their own vendor. I do include were they can be found. Not hard to find the sites using DuckDuckGo. For this item, ther can be found on AliExpress, eBay and Amazon.

Correct, a lot of effort does go into a review, and no one has an issue with that or your reviews. A good review will also encourage discussions around the item itself. The points you made in your response to @Razor Burn don't really address his comments though. A review is not going to fix having to get the item replaced due to damage in transit because of poor packaging or spending a few months waiting for an item. Many people have bought from a seller and had items arrive and then when they put in an additional order later, the items never show up or appear 6 months later.

Purchases would experience these problems much less if they could and would read good reviews from people with first-hand experience.

Again it comes back to the vast majority of cheap items are poor performers, with the obvious exceptions being this brush and stuff like Gold Dollars, Titan razors, Yaqi gear etc.

Again the need for good reviews from people with first-hand experience.

Side note: if you want to give some budget gear a crack, I recommend Apache DE blades as excellent DE blades
Being an SR only shaver I have little interest in DE blades. You might like to write your own review on them for others to read.

I also have some rather expensive new SRs that I could review but now would rather not. The uninformed comments they would receive could turn interested people off from further research into the items.

If I had to go real bargain-basement for a brush, I think I would pay the extra $8 for a Jack the Barber brush from Woolies (no postage, just pick it up with your other groceries), which is almost certainly better. Not to mention that Yaqi sell REALLY good quality brushes for around $26.

If you spend lots on your other hardware and software, it seems silly to be parsimonious with your brushes.
Have you first-hand experience with the brush being reviewed to justify your "which is almost certainly better" and that this item is not a quality item? If you have, please elaborate on where this brush fails.

I buy many shaving related items from very expensive to dirt cheap (including brushes). That is how I can comment on this brush verses other much more expensive brushes.

Did you really read the OP?

Being an SR only shaver I have little interest in DE blades. You might like to write your own review on them for others to read.

I also have some rather expensive new SRs that I could review but now would rather not. The uninformed comments they would receive could turn interested people off from further research into the items.
Mate, that sounds pretty wanky.

I don't begrudge you for spending your $$ on something that works for you but seeing how far brushes have come these last few years you're better off picking up a Yaqi or equivalent that will outlast the $2 one eventually... YMMV
I have 17 brushes varying in price from over $300 to this $2 one. This $2 brush out shines many (not all) of my more expensive brushes - hence the detailed review so others can do further research if interested.

"but seeing how far brushes have come these last few years" is exactly why this brush is reviewed! Have you first-hand experience with the brush reviewed to make the comment "you're better off picking up a Yaqi or equivalent"? If so, please elaborate so as to better inform others.

Mate, that sounds pretty wanky.
Not really. Just stating what I think should be obvious.

Almost all posts in this tread are from people who have no first-hand experience with the item or have no interest in the item. Why do they post? is it to try and put people off who may have an interest in the item?

If they have a beef with AliExpress, Amazon, eBay, etc., they can write their own review covering their beef. That is what reviews are for - informing others from first-hand experience.

That's enough from me on this. I will let it rest and leave reviews alone.

Last edited:
I have 17 brushes varying in price from over $300 to this $2 one. This $2 brush out shines many (not all) of my more expensive brushes - hence the detailed review so others can do further research if interested.

"but seeing how far brushes have come these last few years" is exactly why this brush is reviewed! Have you first-hand experience with the brush reviewed to make the comment "you're better off picking up a Yaqi or equivalent"? If so, please elaborate so as to better inform others.
I'm happy you've found a budget brush that works for you. I admit I haven't tried this specific brush but started off with one similar (badger that was actually a synthetic around $5 AUD from ebay) and it lasted less than 6 months before the knot came a part... From memory mine had a darker handle...?! :unsure:
I appreciate the time spent researching and reviewing the product and apologies for commenting on your review. Happy shaves!

A direct link to the item you purchased, not one of the various other listings would be better than someone taking your review and trying to find a reputable seller for the same item. When you review something you buy, it isn't just the product, the whole experience from ease of purchase, shipping and item itself is important.

As for StratMan's comment
Sounds like a waste of time, why would anyone buy anything from anyone listing a $2 ‘badger’ that’s actually a synthetic???

A listing that misleads customers is poor business practice and not one that would encourage most buyers, regardless of locality, to buy it. If they can't even label the brush type correctly, I wouldn't expect the item to be of any quality. Granted at $2 it doesn't matter, but it's the principle of it :confused:.

No one wants you to stop reviewing, but I doubt you will get similar comments on a modern SR review if you posted one

Excuse me, but from a brush makers perspective it looks like a $2.00 brush 😉 I have many different types of synthetic knots and from different suppliers but looking at the bristles in this picture I will stand by my initial statement. “It looks like a $2 brush” and only time will tell how it will last.
Have a good weekend gents
Cheers
Tony

Excuse me, but from a brush makers perspective it looks like a $2.00 brush 😉 I have many different types of synthetic knots and from different suppliers but looking at the bristles in this picture I will stand by my initial statement. “It looks like a $2 brush” and only time will tell how it will last.
Have a good weekend gents
Cheers
Tony
@Tony Forsyth, until you try one, you will never know.

I agree that it looks like a $2 brush and that is what it cost. As I previously stated, the brush performs VERY well and out shines (in performance) all of my much more expensive brushes. As for lasting, this brush has lasted me through 6 months of daily shaving and not lost a hair (after the initial very few) and has kept its shape. I have three more of these in case this or another fails.

Instead of buying say a $60 brush, you could buy 30 of these cheap $2 brushes and get say 15 years daily use out of them. My first good brush (English badger) cost well over $100 in today's figures and only lasted me about 20 years of shaving 3 to 4 times a week.

Of course if looks mean more to you, by all means spend you money on whatever your eye fancies. I don't begrudge anyone spending their money anyway they want to. It appears that some in this forum (not necessarily Tony Forsyth) do begrudge others who may be more spendthrift they they are.

Don't worry, there will be no more reviews from me in this forum.

Last edited:
Now 9 months of daily face lathering with this brush. Not a further hair lost and the brush still looks exactly the same as it did in the original post.

This morning I pulled out one of my "better" brushes (a badger silver tip) to lather with as a comparison. It didn't compare. Tomorrow I'm going back to the $2 Chinese synthetic.

Now 9 months of daily face lathering with this brush. Not a further hair lost and the brush still looks exactly the same as it did in the original post.

This morning I pulled out one of my "better" brushes (a badger silver tip) to lather with as a comparison. It didn't compare. Tomorrow I'm going back to the $2 Chinese synthetic.

You didn't like your silvertip badger?