The general watch talk discussion

hey, where is the best place to sell some watches. I am thinking of downsizing my collection.
Could also try here, as it appears there is an audience for watches.

Sinn switched to Sellita when Swatch Group reduced supply to outsiders.

And you'd probably be waiting years to get a new Sub (and that is if you have an "in" with authorised dealers), or pay up to double on grey market prices. Rolex complains about reseller inflated prices but does nothing to fix supply.
It’s just there false scarcity marketing crap- a watch company that can’t reliably supply watches. Pass.

1QjqNyD.jpg
It’s pretty swell I gotta say.

The other thing I have been looking at is maybe doing an omega aqua terra, one of the earlier ones as they are a little slimmer and I have no objection to the 3 o’clock date.
Any of you lot have an aqua terra?

Ive sought out the tick tock club for advice, any of you have recomendations for a watch a blue collar man could use around the 300 to 400 ish range, not like g shock hard work but something to use on the weekend as well.
Looking at a couple seiko options but ive no idea.

Ive sought out the tick tock club for advice, any of you have recomendations for a watch a blue collar man could use around the 300 to 400 ish range, not like g shock hard work but something to use on the weekend as well.
Looking at a couple seiko options but ive no idea.
Couple of questions
Do you have a preference to aesthetic?
Everyday. Diver, aviator, field

preference of movement?
auto, manual or quartz

Prefer it on a strap or bracelet?

Couple of questions
Do you have a preference to aesthetic?
Everyday. Diver, aviator, field

preference of movement?
auto, manual or quartz

Prefer it on a strap or bracelet?
Not overly particular on aesthetic, if anything something on the darker coloured side.
Anything i dont have to wind up, im scared ill root it and wind too much or something, did similar to an old pocket watch and been funny about it ever since.
Preferable a metal band or rubber but not a fan of fabric

Not overly particular on aesthetic, if anything something on the darker coloured side.
Anything i dont have to wind up, im scared ill root it and wind too much or something, did similar to an old pocket watch and been funny about it ever since.
For my money currently is check out a orient kamasu. Or maybe the islander range from Long Island watches.
These are all Autos

The other thing I have been looking at is maybe doing an omega aqua terra, one of the earlier ones as they are a little slimmer and I have no objection to the 3 o’clock date.
Any of you lot have an aqua terra?

I have an 41.5mm 8500. Last of the 3 o'clock dates.

How do you like it?
get much wrist time?

All my watches get very little wrist time these days. I purchased an omega leather strap with the deployment buckle additionally and prefer it over the bracelet. I have always been a steel bracelet person, this watch looks and feels great with the leather. The leather strap in my opinion also gives the watch a more formal look and feel.

At the time I had the option of purchasing an 8900, though I felt uncomfortable with the 6 o'clock date and the horizontal lines. The 41.5mm is a fantastic size for my wrist, the blue bezel was icing on the cake. When travelling I only need two watches a steel sports, and this or rolex milguass.

Last edited:
All my watches get very little wrist time these days. I purchased an omega leather strap with the deployment buckle additionally and prefer it over the bracelet. I have always been a steel bracelet person, this watch looks and feels great with the leather. The leather strap in my opinion also gives the watch a more formal look and feel.

At the time I had the option of purchasing an 8900, though I felt uncomfortable with the 6 o'clock date and the horizontal lines. The 41.5mm is a fantastic size for my wrist, the blue bezel was icing on the cake. When travelling I only need two watches a steel sports, and this or rolex milguass.
I had considered just PMing you direct lol.
I’m also looking at getting one with the 8500 but probably in the 38mm, not sure why but I prefer that over a larger case but really not a deal breaker as I was happy enough to wear a samurai for a while.
I’m thinking maybe a light dial though those early ones had those glossy almost inky black dials that just look amazing.

I had considered just PMing you direct lol.
I’m also looking at getting one with the 8500 but probably in the 38mm, not sure why but I prefer that over a larger case but really not a deal breaker as I was happy enough to wear a samurai for a while.
I’m thinking maybe a light dial though those early ones had those glossy almost inky black dials that just look amazing.

The cal 2500 which is the model before the 8500 with 39mm bezel, slim profile, 3 o'clock date, is a beautiful watch. Problem is since covid, these watches are harder to find and have appreciated in value beyond what is the norm.

I have an Aqua Terra.
It's currently at service however (routine ; 7-8 year interval. Service centre told me lubrication had gone dry so good timing).
Pricing has gone up steeply with Omega as they manufacture more in house and aim to step up a level. The Calibre 8500 is lovely ; keeps great time and the aesthetic is suitable for a daily wearer. It wears comfortable and well. I have the grey version.

I'm not sure about the newer release design although at a glance, they are aesthetically pleasing. The unorthodox date position I'm yet to get used to. Whilst hard to find, most large AD's will put your name down for one .

As they say, the Apple Watch is the one that puts all your other watches in the safe.

If you can get your hands on one, the Oyster Perpertual and Datejust are great alternatives. The Grand Seiko is another brand to consider although I personally feel their movement technology isn't quite up to the Omega and Rolex.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/154594380787
May be a good option.
Swiss heritage, build and design.
NFI upon the movement beyond it being quartz so don't have to worry about automatic or manual winding, just the occasional battery.
Wow look good with a natural, bone, tan etc band as well.
I think it is Watch Gooroo who will entertain reasonable offer a or will usually afford you one if you Pm asking for best price.
Glycine are usually pretty slim compared to some.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/154594380787
May be a good option.
Swiss heritage, build and design.
NFI upon the movement beyond it being quartz so don't have to worry about automatic or manual winding, just the occasional battery.
Wow look good with a natural, bone, tan etc band as well.
I think it is Watch Gooroo who will entertain reasonable offer a or will usually afford you one if you Pm asking for best price.
Glycine are usually pretty slim compared to some.
Cheers, i really like the look of that one too, will end up with 2 collections on the go soon, have to get in extra hours at work

kIbu6aS.jpeg

Despite the challenges of the last 2 years, business has been good and a nice bonus allowed me to indulge. Piece 33/500. Love the juxtaposition between the hardcore tool watch (hardened German submarine steel 1200 vickers, 500m water resistance) and the delicate Mother of Pearl dial.

I have a small wrist,hence the Tudor Black Bay 36 currently lives on my arm,the blue dial.
I fell in love with the simplicity of it.
I went to put my name down for an Explorer or an OP 36( good luck with that) and came out with the Tudor.
Next choice would have been the Sinn 556i rs,an absolutely beautiful watch and great value.
If you ever wear a Rolex, it is a surreal experience and yes,worth the $

Been watchng reviews and a mob in Adelaide"Artem " sailloth watch bands have yet to receive negative reviews