LesC; Newbie, Sunshine Coast, Qld

LesC

Hi, just joined after many visits as a guest, to this fine site and I also visit B&B. I'm a 65 YOM, recently retired Paramedic and DE shaver (daily a Gillette Fat-Boy) and a (partial) collector of Fat-Boys, Executives and the "English" Aristocrats. I have always pondered "Straight shaving" and after reading the post followed by the review from Forum Member; Straight-Up, I fell for his razor, so I've contacted Steve from Proserpine Razors and hopefully on his return from the NT, shortly thereafter I'll have a straight suitable for a "1st timer". If it's like the Gillette's that started as one, I'm sure it won't be the last!!
Cheers
LesC

Welcome @LesC best of luck with straight shaving and good to see you are keeping it local. I have a couple of Proserpine Straights in the den and enjoy them both

Welcome aboard @LesC, looks like you might already be stuck past the point of no return in the wabbit hole...

hole-jump.gif

Welcome to Paste & Cut @LesC - great to have you here (y)

Newbies are welcome to at the 2021 Paste & Cut Charity Auction!

Bidding closes Saturday, 23rd October 2021 at 12.00pm AEDT unless extended in accordance with the rules.

Check out the items here

Welcome @LesC to the gentlemanly art of straight razor shaving. It is a learning curve but well worth the effort.

Your PRC straight razor should come shave-ready (and hopefully not honed with a taped spine). Just strop it before each shave on a clean (not pasted) leather strop. Hold the strop reasonably tight and strop with no pressure, just the weight of the blade. Don't believe what you see most on YouTube, there should be almost no defection in the strop while stropping.

Some quick tips.
  • Shave with a blade angle of about one-half to a full spine thickness from the skin. Don't believe that 30° thing you hear on most YouTube videos. The sharper the blade, the lower the angle.
  • Shave with just enough pressure to remove the lather. Don't worry about the whiskers, they will come away with the lather.
  • SR shave daily to quickly build up your shaving muscle memory.
  • Don't go for a BBS result. That will come automatically as your technique improves.
If you want to (for now) avoid the SR honing rabbit hole, read this.

Hi @rbscebu, great help and "practical" knowledge, thanks for the "heads up", I have one question if I may, I've read before re; no tape on spine when honing, where-as other's say it is a must re scratching I presume, as a "newbie" why is this? Cheers.