A different finish to replating.....

Monsta_AU

...can I interest you in some vintage blades?
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Grand Society
Just became aware of this guy in the US taking a completely different approach to refinishing razors instead of the normal replating we usually think of in Nickel, Gold, Rose Gold or Rhodium...

Doing what the Yanks do best, they take a gun-related thing and apply to razors. And we end up with a Cera-Kote/GunKote refinish instead. And then they decide to mix & match up the colours.

metallic_fb.jpg

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0247_1024x1024_1_.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

Only one reaction is possible here....

jizz.jpg

Last edited:
Really?

You haven't been paying attention - Razor Handles (Charcoal Goods) - has he @alfredus? :)
What can I say - a bit behind are we :)

Besides some of the bling bling British Rhodium 'Crats these are the nicest vintage Gillettes I've ever seen - there I said it. And IMO the prices are a steal - so lucky I just don't like shaving with these, else my wallet would be hurting...

Just became aware of this guy in the US taking a completely different approach to refinishing razors instead of the normal replating we usually think of in Nickel, Gold, Rose Gold or Rhodium...

Doing what the Yanks do best, they take a gun-related thing and apply to razors. And we end up with a Cera-Kote/GunKote refinish instead. And then they decide to mix & match up the colours.

metallic_fb.jpg

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0247_1024x1024_1_.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

Only one reaction is possible here....

jizz.jpg
Only one of these look "too shiny and pretty" ti have in my bathroom. The first razor looks great IMO.

Would you buy one or get something refinished?
Probably buy one directly, just for speed. Likely a Fat-handled Tech or New.

I'm more interested in how the coating changes the shave experience, this GunKote/CeraKote stuff is really slick.

I'm more interested in how the coating changes the shave experience, this GunKote/CeraKote stuff is really slick.
Ah well before you get too excited over the slick head improving your shaving experience remember that it's ALSO on the handle too. (n)

I'm on the fence with the looks, like others have said a few of them in understated colour combos (e.g #1) look pretty impressive - the more "LOOK AT ME!!!!" ones are perhaps a lil more of a personal taste.

That said I would imagine the proprietors are buying up any & every low user grade razor they can get their hands on at a very low price so they can coat and sell. Nice business & a lot quicker/easier than replating - is good as it does rebirth razors that'd otherwise be ugly ducklings but still 100% functional.

That is what got me curious too. I wonder how those coatings compare to Weber's DLC and there really is only one way to find out.
I believe it's essentially about the same (for shaving purposes) as I think these are PTFE based or something like that and the friction co-efficient for them is about the same or superior to DLC. Suffice to say I don't think you could tell the difference without lab equipment etc. :) So on that basis alone it makes them a reasonable buy, considering the price heights the DLC coated stuff has gone to.

That said, I've not seen any proper testing on how any coated razor heads might tangibly benefit the actual shave - so I suspect there's an ample serving of the placebo effect on any user perceptions (especially if they paid top $$$ for it). :)

Last edited:
I think they're ceramic based iirc.

Probably buy one directly, just for speed. Likely a Fat-handled Tech or New.

I like 'em, and would get one if I didn't already own the razors I am interested.
Good job the handles are textured and the slickness wouldn't make them slippery as.

I am looking around to find a review of someone who got one.... I would like to know their thoughts on the grip of them before splashing out on them too.