Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
20160925_SOTDSBW_zpsravqhc0b.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cyprusian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor 1st-2nd pass: Weck Sextoblade
Razor 3rd pass: BBS-1
Blade 1st-2nd pass: Personna Hairshaper (1)
Blade 3rd pass: Ladas (1)
Brush: Rudy Vey Shavemac
Soap: Stirling Lavender & Bergamot
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Really nice first effort with the Shavette and the training wheels (y)

Managed to do 2 passes (WTG/XTG) and just had some tiny weepers. Cleaned everything up with the trusted BBS-1 and the end result was definitely acceptable (although with some alum burn). The lather was fantastic (picture here) and most important of all I enjoyed the experience - hope you all have great shaves as well (y)

I am truly flattered that comment coming from you, you being B+B 'A' list after all with such fine pictures and über gear

quod erat demonstrandum

IMG_4369.jpg

Pre - Wash and hot towel
Brush - Semogue 620
Soap - Phoenix & Beau Sanskrit
Razor - Merkur 34c
Blade - Polsilver Super Iridium (2)
Post Shave - Alum on the throat area then moisturiser

Kept it simple today. Something has been giving me some irritation, so I have eliminated the Witch Hazel and post-shave balm for a while.
I have added hot-towel prep to my routine though and it appears to be effective. Seems like… as with most things, preparation is everything.
The P & B soap is treating me very well!

Sunday 25 September 2016

SOTD-25092016.jpg

Mastro Livi Inox "Grifone", 9/8 Full Hollow, Livi Snake Point

What a razor! Although the blade is quite big - this is a 9/8 straight razor - you have the total control of the shaving also thanks to Mastro Livi's snake point. This straight razor is made of forged stainless steel and it proves - once again - Mastro Livi's impeccable craftsmanship in making stainless steel straight razors. I bought this razor two years ago and it still shaves like the first day, it never needed any touch up, not even in chromium oxide paste. I just used, as usual, Mastro Livi loom strop and hand palm in order to achieve a perfect ordinary maintenance of the edge. This morning I used Mitchell's Wool Fat soap again and I like it, easy to lather while ensuring a good moisturizing effect. As for the aftershave, my beloved Floïd Blue did an impeccable job. And I am ready to face the day with an extraordinarily super BBS shave!​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
  • Brush: Vie-Long Horse 13061, 24mm knot
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Medium Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Inox "Grifone", 9/8 Full Hollow, Livi Snake Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Floïd Blue

Sunday 25 September 2016

SOTD-25092016.jpg

Mastro Livi Inox "Grifone", 9/8 Full Hollow, Livi Snake Point

What a razor! Although the blade is quite big - this is a 9/8 straight razor - you have the total control of the shaving also thanks to Mastro Livi's snake point. This straight razor is made of forged stainless steel and it proves - once again - Mastro Livi's impeccable craftsmanship in making stainless steel straight razors. I bought this razor two years ago and it still shaves like the first day, it never needed any touch up, not even in chromium oxide paste. I just used, as usual, Mastro Livi loom strop and hand palm in order to achieve a perfect ordinary maintenance of the edge. This morning I used Mitchell's Wool Fat soap again and I like it, easy to lather while ensuring a good moisturizing effect. As for the aftershave, my beloved Floïd Blue did an impeccable job. And I am ready to face the day with an extraordinarily super BBS shave!​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
  • Brush: Vie-Long Horse 13061, 24mm knot
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Medium Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Inox "Grifone", 9/8 Full Hollow, Livi Snake Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Floïd Blue

Always love seeing your posts!

Razor: EJ DE86 with 'Bren' SS Handle
Blade: Astra SS
Brush: EJ Best Badger
Soap: Latha Limon
After: Alum and TSW After Balm

After my recent misadventures with blades, I grabbed the last Astra SS from the sampler and loaded up the old faithful EJ razor.

OK, the Astra is not the greatest blade, but they are reliable, and I can get a pretty decent shave with them. One noticeable difference with the Astra and better blades like the GSB & Polsilvers is the first pass. The Astra leaves a fair bit more behind on the first pass than the others, but 3 passes and some cleanup and I was fit to face the world.

033f9b91f5bff9b918d1f8cb8d41a0e7.jpg

禅 - Zen
Pre: Top Seven emulsion (on loan from @Draco Noir)
Brush: Wolfwhiskers Envy White Supreme
Soap: P&B Spitfire
Razor: HG Custom 13/16 Western grind full hollow Kamisori (thanks @gregg)

Maiden voyage of the Kamisori.

Lather was okay, could have been better. I have underloaded the brush a little, resulted in lather that dried out a little quicker than I liked. I know what P&B can do, definitely user error here.

First go with the Kamisori, was a little daunting at first. I find a few areas a little hard to reach, I will only get better with time. But it's suffice to say now that this razor will be in my constant rotation. Relatively well shaved with just one pass and a little touch up here and there. I only scored one minor nick, as the lather dried out a little, and it tugged a bit. Lovely experience.

qBMwpxx.jpg

Pre: La Toja
Brush: Simpson CH1
Razor: ATT Colossus R1
Blade:Feather
Soap: Stirling Island Man
After:Balm//Geo F Trumper - West Indian Lime Skin Food
Splash: Island Man

A bright an early start to what promises to be another busy week before the long weekend. A lovely shave this morning, plenty of time to enjoy the process and the great scents.

Pre-Shave: Shower
Razor: Maggard Razors MR1 handle with V2 Open Comb head
Blade: Polsilver SI (1)
Soap/Cream: The Stray Whisker/Crown King - #2 Shave Soap
Brush: Maggard Razors
A/S: The Stray Whisker - #1 After Shave Spiritz
ASB: The Stray Whisker - After Balm
Cologne: Chrome by Azzaro
Post-Routine: hot rinse, alum, cold rinse, splash, dry skin, balm, cologne

Today is The Stray Whisker day. :) With excellent products from @shavetheman and very nice combination of the head and the blade got BBS everywhere (almost) and DFS on two small spots on my neck. My skin feels great. I tried Polsilver with Maggard OC for the first time and found it performed much better than my usual Voskhod or Personna USA blades in the same head. Obviously need to use it for much longer, but still very impressed. High butter formula in the soap gives excellent slickness (and residual one as well) and cushioning. I'm not a big fan of splashes, but the more I using the TWS spirits (especially together with the balm) the more I like it.

Razor: Vintage Gillette English LC NEW head on 'Bren' handle
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (1)
Brush: Vintage Butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Fine Shaving Soap - L'Orange Noir
Aftershave: B&M Kyovu
Cologne: Terre d'Hermès

Figured I should stop using the Leresche and clean it before handing over to next user! Trying the "NEW Bren" with a modern blade - works just as well. Fine soap is just fine. All in all a great public holiday shave ...

In the office doing Constitutional Law assignments though ...

禅 - Zen

Lather was okay, could have been better. I have underloaded the brush a little, resulted in lather that dried out a little quicker than I liked. I know what P&B can do, definitely user error here.

First go with the Kamisori, was a little daunting at first. I find a few areas a little hard to reach, I will only get better with time. But it's suffice to say now that this razor will be in my constant rotation. Relatively well shaved with just one pass and a little touch up here and there. I only scored one minor nick, as the lather dried out a little, and it tugged a bit. Lovely experience.

Well done! What a great looking shave mate. And that Kami is a beauty!!!!

Why don't you start a thread for showing off the Kamisoris? They are always so good on the eyes... [emoji41]

禅 - Zen

Great to hear that it went well for you @silver (y)

禅 - Zen

Congratulations @silver - I know you've waited and planned for ages to get to this moment, and you've finally done it. I assure you, it just keeps getting better from here on in!

Pre-Shave: Musgo Real Glyce
Soap: SV Cosmo
Brush: WW Envy White 26mm
Razor: Gillette Super Adjustable Black Beauty S3 - Birth Razor (7)
Blade: Polsilver (3)
A/S: Alt Innsbruck

A very classy birthday shave with birth razor and birthday gift (the brush). The Alt Innsbruck pairs really well with the Cosmo. Now off for boozy lunch.

禅 - Zen

Outstanding. Glad it went well. The Kami is truly beautiful.

Pre-Shave: Musgo Real Glyce
Soap: SV Cosmo
Brush: WW Envy White 26mm
Razor: Gillette Super Adjustable Black Beauty S3 - Birth Razor (7)
Blade: Polsilver (3)
A/S: Alt Innsbruck

A very classy birthday shave with birth razor and birthday gift (the brush). The Alt Innsbruck pairs really well with the Cosmo. Now off for boozy lunch.

Happy birthday mate!

IMG_4369.jpg

Pre - Wash and hot towel
Brush - Semogue 620
Soap - Phoenix & Beau Sanskrit
Razor - Merkur 34c
Blade - Polsilver Super Iridium (2)
Post Shave - Alum on the throat area then moisturiser

Kept it simple today. Something has been giving me some irritation, so I have eliminated the Witch Hazel and post-shave balm for a while.
I have added hot-towel prep to my routine though and it appears to be effective. Seems like… as with most things, preparation is everything.
The P & B soap is treating me very well!
I still want to get hold of the P&B Spitfire. The scent profile sounds amazing! Leather, tobacco and Juniper.

Status
Not open for further replies.