Private Reserve - DIY Aftershave Splash Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Generals Ledger sounds intriguing.
I would be honoured to try a sample, if at all possible.

Both of them are named quite ridiculously I know, I had to keep it amusing/grounded somehow - it's hard to talk about aftershave/splash without sounding like a real..umm PC. I had you in mind for a potential tester, you and 3 or so others actually so yes - I would be most glad if you would be willing to do some testing when I get to that point.

Perhaps I should arrange to meet you, since you're in the same city as I am?

That sounds like a very good idea, I'll drop you a PM in this regard and we can make a plan. I'd like to have a sit down and a few good coffees and talk.

I have come across those links you so kindly supplied over the last 8 or 9 months or so of research, I have this fairly large text file full of everything from home made 'recipes' right through to balanced formulas from perfumers both amateur and professional. Parsing all the information for what is valuable, and what is not is the challenge I currently have where it concerns the actual scent composition or accord. Maybe another set of eyes can assist in this regard.

I've the vintage and modern Houbigant Fougere Royale, Gucci Nobile, which is considered an aquatic fougere and Alpa's Fougere.

Those are some superb fragrances, well and truly out of my league for what I am attempting - but an excellent guide for modelling scents and no doubt leaving me probably wondering how the hell they managed to achieve what they did. You are the ideal tester tbh, that goes without saying :)

Loving this thread. As someone who has always reverse engineered stuff (or as my wife likes to put it "pulling shit apart"), getting into the detail of creating a scent sounds like fun. Will be eagerly watching this thread!

Glad you are enjoying it man, you have fairly well hit my aim on the head in regards to why I am posting!.

Before I did what I do now, after University I worked as an electronics technician for a number of years and also did some IT stuff (I have 5 or 6 pc's still and a few laptops) so it's in my nature to be curious as to how and why. I stopped and thought too, I was/am spending a fortune on splashes and often not getting what I really wanted (not a criticism of any artisans, just personal taste) so I thought why not make a determined attempt to make one myself and document the process.

I kind of hoped there would be other people out there interested in the whole process, even the more mundane things like the measurements and so forth. I was a little concerned I would bore the crap out of everyone with the level of detail, you never can tell how these things will play out on a forum.

I will be posting as much detail as I can, with pictures when appropriate while I learn and experiment moving forward. The only thing I will not be posting is the exact formula I use for my eventual splashes, I will post a usable guide but there is a tradition in perfume/colognes to not disclose your own reserve with the idea being each person discovers their own signature or special accord. That being said what I do post will easily able to be used to make a basic Vetiver and a Fougère.

Week 2

A brief clarification and indeed apology is needed before I kick on with this weeks instalment, it is a quite important point in that if you are making an aftershave splash, most people will add Witch hazel or another liquid containing water or even glycerine. I am very new to this and quite frankly made a very silly assumption due to my ignorance.

I know a fair few people in the US, and it so happens one of them so happens to be an artisan producer, so I have been corresponding with him and he has been kind enough to lend some ongoing assistance to my non commercial, bit of fun home made ripper Aussie splash project.

Anyway, the error I made is a rookie error and is part of the learning curve, there is a very simple rule: If you are going to mix essential oils with water in any shape or form you need Polysorbate 20 or another surfactant or emulsifier. Most Aftershave splashes have alcohol, perfume/essential oil, Witch hazel and glycerine and therefore contain an emulsifier even if they do not state it on the bottle. I have this on very good advice and have confirmed it through a lot of reading and thinking about the bloody obvious: oil and water do not mix.

Polysorbate 20 - The Pork Chops Friend
What a bloody pork chop I was, posting pictures of the product last week and telling everyone it wasn't needed in splashes.

If you do not use an emulsifier then you can only use pure alcohol and essential oils for your splash which quite frankly is way to harsh and raw for my skin. If you do decide not to use Polysorbate 20 or another such product and you add a percentage of Witch hazel (typically constituted from 14% alcohol, water, and the active ingredient itself) then your oils will fall out of solution and will either float to the top of the bottle or to the bottom and you won't have an aftershave, you will have fractions of alcohol, oils, and Witch hazel that is a cloudy, unappealing mess that will end up with precipitates and all kinds of funky junk in the solution.

So this stuff is cheap, I think I paid $8 or so (maybe $10) for 250 ml which is plenty as you use it in the same quantities (roughly) as your essential oils. It's a thick, clear glucose like liquid and I do not recommend trying to suck it up with a pipette - rather use a large gauge syringe (obviously without the sharp) or, as I have use a small glass or plastic medicine beaker with 2 or 5ml increments. As most Aftershave splashes contain 3ml to 5ml of essential oil per 100ml of total volume, you don't need much. Another good thing with it is, it can be added at the end of the process to clear up the solution if there are still oils that will not emulsify - a few judicious drops in the finished splash until everything is clear and no oil droplets are visible - a good tip and worth remembering.

As I am going to use Polysorbate-20 all my measurements will be based on this product, there are other products out there that do the same thing, but all my research indicates Poly20 is the one to use. As an aside, Polysorbate 80 is for greater quantities of oils and is too aggressive for aftershave and the kinds of delicate and expensive oils I will be using.

The general rule of thumb: you need an equal part Polysorbate 20 to essential oil. I do say general as some of the thicker absolutes and essential oils will require a little more polysorbate to clear the splash solution I am reliably informed. For most people this will be say 5ml of essential oil and 5 or 6 ml of Polysorbate 20 per 100ml splash bottle.

The Ratios of the Splash

So here is where I will be discussing the percentages of various liquids that I will be putting into my splash, I am not talking about the Essential Oils here but rather the Perfumers Alcohol, Witch hazel and the Glycerine. I have made up about 15 or 20 combinations or more accurately ratios so I thought I would share my general thoughts now so if people want to replicate what I have done, they have something to work with.

I will stick to the 100ml total solution volume as it's simple, scales well and keeps it easily understood. If you want to make less you need to obviously scale it down, I won't be discussing all the math of the situation - you can do some reading about dilution - there is plenty of information on google in this regard along with calculators for volume, etc.

Perfumers Alcohol - A range of 45% to 75% (45ml to 75ml)
Witch hazel - A range of 10% to 40% (10ml to 40ml) NB: This is presuming your Witch Hazel is 14% alcohol and not the dilute cheap stuff.
Glycerine - A range of 3% to around 8% (3ml to 8ml)

A Caveat: Be careful adding glycerine, it is very very easy to add too much and turn the solution into a sticky syrup that when it "dries down" it leaves a sticky, nasty coating on the skin. I know this from hard experience over the last week making test ratios.

I will be using the following ratio in the PC Vetiver Splash:

60ml Alcohol
25ml Witch Hazel
3ml Glycerine
6ml Polysorbate 20
6ml Essential Oil 'Base'

I am using these ratios based on my particular cosmetic supplier and the 15 or 20 test batches I have made up and trialled, people will need to adjust these ratios depending on their supplier, accuracy of measurements and so forth but they are imho a good guide. I stress here that accurate measurement is needed, get some measuring cups with decent scales and not some arbitrary cooking measuring cups. Too much or too little plays a really big part in regards to alcohol and glycerine especially.

I was going to add some alum, but quite frankly procuring it was too much of a hassle and I don't really care for the stuff myself. I may play around with adding some in the future though.

Blending Your Oils
W0VHWsx.jpg

So here we have the 9 (12 or 13 tbh ) essential oils that will make up Un cutlette de porc which will be a classic vetiver, it's not all damp forests and cantankerous old men wielding boar brushes and telling people to get off their lawn though, there are some clean, crisp and very uplifting mid and top notes in PC which are currently being fine tuned (well, to be truthful I had 12 different formulas ageing for a week and one jumped out at me today).

I'm not disclosing my own formula for what it's worth, the fun in this whole caper is discovering it for yourself but I am more than happy to provide hints and tips being ever so much a novice myself. The one critical aspect of blending the essential oils is accuracy, you absolutely must have accurate pipettes to measure. In the real perfume world they use scientific scales, I looked into getting a set but they are furiously expensive so I have gone with the best available and have used .ml to measure and scientific pipettes. There has to be a limit on the 'numbers' with this kind of project, dropping $450 - $700 or so on scales just does not.. add up.

Before mixing any oils be prepared!

Prior to blending any expensive oils: I have my formula typed out. I have checked my calculations twice, I have the Base Notes in order, then the mids and then the tops and I number them sequentially. I have my pipettes ready, I have my oils lined up in numerical order (base first, mids, top) and I have my sterile tinted bottle ready to receive the oils.

I have a pen and paper to hand, plenty of space. When I add an essential oil, I place a tick next to it on my formula print out and move to the next number. There can be no errors, errors ruin accords and can rarely be fixed especially with my skill level. These oils are also bloody expensive, a great impetus to not buggering it up!

I also have a small plastic basket (tip from artisan friend) - once I have added an oil I place the Essential oil bottle straight into the basket to prevent error, confusion or mucking up the formula. Adding an oil twice will ruin the accord and this system works very well.

So, I am ready to shoot. All planned out, all eager to start dripping oils into bottles using plastic pipettes in the 'lab' - my kitchen when the wife is out actually and I know I won't be bothered.

We will need a formula, or at least some kind of idea or direction. As promised (it is nothing too special) here is a basic Vetiver for anyone interested or lazy. It's not refined, not even close but it is a good, classic and solid start.

Vetiver EO 1ml
Black Pepper EO 1ml
Nutmeg EO .5ml
Ginger EO .1 ml
Bergamot EO .75ml
Lemon EO .5ml
Polysorb 20 - 4.75ml

This makes a 4.75%-5% (accounting for measurement variance) pure essential oil solution (10mls in total: 5ml of oil and 5ml of polysorb) which you bottle, leave in a dark place for a week, tweak then combine with the alcohol, witch hazel, etc.

This formula requires pure essential oils, if you use 3% blends, fragrances or chemicals then I have no idea how this will turn out - I would suspect not very well though to be honest and the measurements would be way off due to the dilute nature of non EO's.

Adding the Oils
This is fairly simple, Base Notes First, then heart of middle, then the top. (My example vetiver is ordered for a reason). Take your time, accuracy is key and rushing only leads to spillage and errors.

Once all your oils are added to your dark storage bottle, give the solution of oil a swirl and then add your polysorb-20 and seal the bottle tightly (after smelling of course). You then want to shake the bottle for around 3 to 4 minutes until your wrists hurt. Once you have done this open the bottle and take a smell - the transformation has already begun from a series of individual scents to an accord - it's only a very minute change, but it's noticeable.

Don't forget to label the bottle!. Include the volume, date, name and concentration of the formula - You don't want to go dumping dilute or overly concentrated and expensive solutions in an incorrect quantity as you haven't labelled the bloody thing!

Here is one I prepared earlier ;)
UX6vAis.jpg

Making a Base
I have chosen to make a 'base'- this just means that I make 12 ml of pure essential oil concentrate at a time, I do this as it's a lot easier to be accurate when measuring say 3.5 ml than say measuring .675ml if I was only making a 6ml pure essential oil concentrate. Into the blue bottle goes my pure essential oils (12mls) and 12mls of Polysorbate 20. In effect it simply means I can make 200ml of splash once it is all mixed and married.

The advice I have received from my anonymous artisan, and it's very good advice when you think about it, is that unless you have scales it is always best to make up 12ml of base solution at a time (12ml of base solution makes 200ml of splash at 6%, for a 5% solution you would make 10ml of base oil) as the quantities for just about every accord will require say 2 or 3ml of one oil, 4ml of another oil with only 2 or 3 oils requiring say .5ml or .75ml thus reducing the changes of measurement error... i.e try measuring .125ml of say a top note for your splash with a pipette - bloody impossible to do.

Ageing and Maturing the Splash
The base oil now needs to 'marry' in a cool, dark place for a week so the oils will combine and instead of being a collection of oils an accord will be formed - all going well. During the 1 week maturing process, the bottle shaken vigorously every day to ensure a consistent blend in solution. After a week of resting I will keenly open it, take half a drop and place it on a cotton wool bud to see if the accord is getting close. If I am not happy I will round it off (possibly adding more or different oils and then resting it for another week).

If I am happy then I will prepare the first batch of testers. Once I have mixed my base with the rest of my liquids the 100ml bottles will then be put back into a cool dark place for a couple of weeks if it needs more time. At this point, if I am happy with it I will send out a few 5ml testers to see what people think.

Questions, comments, criticisms, discussion are all welcome. I am a newbie to all of this and it has been a steep learning curve, the assistance I have received from across the pond has been invaluable however - without it I suspect it would have taken me months to work out a lot of the ratios so I am glad to be able to document and discuss my hobby here with you fine chaps :)

Bloody sensational read mate - amazingly impressive!

Week 2

A brief clarification and indeed apology is needed before I kick on with this weeks instalment, it is a quite important point in that if you are making an aftershave splash, most people will add Witch hazel or another liquid containing water or even glycerine. I am very new to this and quite frankly made a very silly assumption due to my ignorance.

I know a fair few people in the US, and it so happens one of them so happens to be an artisan producer, so I have been corresponding with him and he has been kind enough to lend some ongoing assistance to my non commercial, bit of fun home made ripper Aussie splash project.

Anyway, the error I made is a rookie error and is part of the learning curve, there is a very simple rule: If you are going to mix essential oils with water in any shape or form you need Polysorbate 20 or another surfactant or emulsifier. Most Aftershave splashes have alcohol, perfume/essential oil, Witch hazel and glycerine and therefore contain an emulsifier even if they do not state it on the bottle. I have this on very good advice and have confirmed it through a lot of reading and thinking about the bloody obvious: oil and water do not mix.

What a bloody pork chop I was, posting pictures of the product last week and telling everyone it wasn't needed in splashes.

If you do not use an emulsifier then you can only use pure alcohol and essential oils for your splash which quite frankly is way to harsh and raw for my skin. If you do decide not to use Polysorbate 20 or another such product and you add a percentage of Witch hazel (typically constituted from 14% alcohol, water, and the active ingredient itself) then your oils will fall out of solution and will either float to the top of the bottle or to the bottom and you won't have an aftershave, you will have fractions of alcohol, oils, and Witch hazel that is a cloudy, unappealing mess that will end up with precipitates and all kinds of funky junk in the solution.

So this stuff is cheap, I think I paid $8 or so (maybe $10) for 250 ml which is plenty as you use it in the same quantities (roughly) as your essential oils. It's a thick, clear glucose like liquid and I do not recommend trying to suck it up with a pipette - rather use a large gauge syringe (obviously without the sharp) or, as I have use a small glass or plastic medicine beaker with 2 or 5ml increments. As most Aftershave splashes contain 3ml to 5ml of essential oil per 100ml of total volume, you don't need much. Another good thing with it is, it can be added at the end of the process to clear up the solution if there are still oils that will not emulsify - a few judicious drops in the finished splash until everything is clear and no oil droplets are visible - a good tip and worth remembering.

As I am going to use Polysorbate-20 all my measurements will be based on this product, there are other products out there that do the same thing, but all my research indicates Poly20 is the one to use. As an aside, Polysorbate 80 is for greater quantities of oils and is too aggressive for aftershave and the kinds of delicate and expensive oils I will be using.

The general rule of thumb: you need an equal part Polysorbate 20 to essential oil. I do say general as some of the thicker absolutes and essential oils will require a little more polysorbate to clear the splash solution I am reliably informed. For most people this will be say 5ml of essential oil and 5 or 6 ml of Polysorbate 20 per 100ml splash bottle.

The Ratios of the Splash

So here is where I will be discussing the percentages of various liquids that I will be putting into my splash, I am not talking about the Essential Oils here but rather the Perfumers Alcohol, Witch hazel and the Glycerine. I have made up about 15 or 20 combinations or more accurately ratios so I thought I would share my general thoughts now so if people want to replicate what I have done, they have something to work with.

I will stick to the 100ml total solution volume as it's simple, scales well and keeps it easily understood. If you want to make less you need to obviously scale it down, I won't be discussing all the math of the situation - you can do some reading about dilution - there is plenty of information on google in this regard along with calculators for volume, etc.

Witch hazel - A range of 10% to 40% (10ml to 40ml) NB: This is presuming your Witch Hazel is 14% alcohol and not the dilute cheap stuff.

A Caveat: Be careful adding glycerine, it is very very easy to add too much and turn the solution into a sticky syrup that when it "dries down" it leaves a sticky, nasty coating on the skin. I know this from hard experience over the last week making test ratios.

60ml Alcohol
25ml Witch Hazel
3ml Glycerine
6ml Polysorbate 20
6ml Essential Oil 'Base'

I am using these ratios based on my particular cosmetic supplier and the 15 or 20 test batches I have made up and trialled, people will need to adjust these ratios depending on their supplier, accuracy of measurements and so forth but they are imho a good guide. I stress here that accurate measurement is needed, get some measuring cups with decent scales and not some arbitrary cooking measuring cups. Too much or too little plays a really big part in regards to alcohol and glycerine especially.

I was going to add some alum, but quite frankly procuring it was too much of a hassle and I don't really care for the stuff myself. I may play around with adding some in the future though.

Blending Your Oils
W0VHWsx.jpg

So here we have the 9 (12 or 13 tbh ) essential oils that will make up Un cutlette de porc which will be a classic vetiver, it's not all damp forests and cantankerous old men wielding boar brushes and telling people to get off their lawn though, there are some clean, crisp and very uplifting mid and top notes in PC which are currently being fine tuned (well, to be truthful I had 12 different formulas ageing for a week and one jumped out at me today).

I'm not disclosing my own formula for what it's worth, the fun in this whole caper is discovering it for yourself but I am more than happy to provide hints and tips being ever so much a novice myself. The one critical aspect of blending the essential oils is accuracy, you absolutely must have accurate pipettes to measure. In the real perfume world they use scientific scales, I looked into getting a set but they are furiously expensive so I have gone with the best available and have used .ml to measure and scientific pipettes. There has to be a limit on the 'numbers' with this kind of project, dropping $450 - $700 or so on scales just does not.. add up.

Prior to blending any expensive oils: I have my formula typed out. I have checked my calculations twice, I have the Base Notes in order, then the mids and then the tops and I number them sequentially. I have my pipettes ready, I have my oils lined up in numerical order (base first, mids, top) and I have my sterile tinted bottle ready to receive the oils.

I have a pen and paper to hand, plenty of space. When I add an essential oil, I place a tick next to it on my formula print out and move to the next number. There can be no errors, errors ruin accords and can rarely be fixed especially with my skill level. These oils are also bloody expensive, a great impetus to not buggering it up!

I also have a small plastic basket (tip from artisan friend) - once I have added an oil I place the Essential oil bottle straight into the basket to prevent error, confusion or mucking up the formula. Adding an oil twice will ruin the accord and this system works very well.

So, I am ready to shoot. All planned out, all eager to start dripping oils into bottles using plastic pipettes in the 'lab' - my kitchen when the wife is out actually and I know I won't be bothered.

We will need a formula, or at least some kind of idea or direction. As promised (it is nothing too special) here is a basic Vetiver for anyone interested or lazy. It's not refined, not even close but it is a good, classic and solid start.

Vetiver EO 1ml
Black Pepper EO 1ml
Nutmeg EO .5ml
Ginger EO .1 ml
Bergamot EO .75ml
Lemon EO .5ml
Polysorb 20 - 4.75ml

This makes a 4.75%-5% (accounting for measurement variance) pure essential oil solution (10mls in total: 5ml of oil and 5ml of polysorb) which you bottle, leave in a dark place for a week, tweak then combine with the alcohol, witch hazel, etc.

This formula requires pure essential oils, if you use 3% blends, fragrances or chemicals then I have no idea how this will turn out - I would suspect not very well though to be honest and the measurements would be way off due to the dilute nature of non EO's.

Adding the Oils
This is fairly simple, Base Notes First, then heart of middle, then the top. (My example vetiver is ordered for a reason). Take your time, accuracy is key and rushing only leads to spillage and errors.

Once all your oils are added to your dark storage bottle, give the solution of oil a swirl and then add your polysorb-20 and seal the bottle tightly (after smelling of course). You then want to shake the bottle for around 3 to 4 minutes until your wrists hurt. Once you have done this open the bottle and take a smell - the transformation has already begun from a series of individual scents to an accord - it's only a very minute change, but it's noticeable.

Don't forget to label the bottle!. Include the volume, date, name and concentration of the formula - You don't want to go dumping dilute or overly concentrated and expensive solutions in an incorrect quantity as you haven't labelled the bloody thing!

UX6vAis.jpg

Making a Base
I have chosen to make a 'base'- this just means that I make 12 ml of pure essential oil concentrate at a time, I do this as it's a lot easier to be accurate when measuring say 3.5 ml than say measuring .675ml if I was only making a 6ml pure essential oil concentrate. Into the blue bottle goes my pure essential oils (12mls) and 12mls of Polysorbate 20. In effect it simply means I can make 200ml of splash once it is all mixed and married.

The advice I have received from my anonymous artisan, and it's very good advice when you think about it, is that unless you have scales it is always best to make up 12ml of base solution at a time (12ml of base solution makes 200ml of splash at 6%, for a 5% solution you would make 10ml of base oil) as the quantities for just about every accord will require say 2 or 3ml of one oil, 4ml of another oil with only 2 or 3 oils requiring say .5ml or .75ml thus reducing the changes of measurement error... i.e try measuring .125ml of say a top note for your splash with a pipette - bloody impossible to do.

The base oil now needs to 'marry' in a cool, dark place for a week so the oils will combine and instead of being a collection of oils an accord will be formed - all going well. During the 1 week maturing process, the bottle shaken vigorously every day to ensure a consistent blend in solution. After a week of resting I will keenly open it, take half a drop and place it on a cotton wool bud to see if the accord is getting close. If I am not happy I will round it off (possibly adding more or different oils and then resting it for another week).

If I am happy then I will prepare the first batch of testers. Once I have mixed my base with the rest of my liquids the 100ml bottles will then be put back into a cool dark place for a couple of weeks if it needs more time. At this point, if I am happy with it I will send out a few 5ml testers to see what people think.

Questions, comments, criticisms, discussion are all welcome. I am a newbie to all of this and it has been a steep learning curve, the assistance I have received from across the pond has been invaluable however - without it I suspect it would have taken me months to work out a lot of the ratios so I am glad to be able to document and discuss my hobby here with you fine chaps :)
This is fantastic. Love the commitment and the write up is extremely interesting. Well done @todras

As a chemical lab assistant in a former life, you've got the dilution technique sorted - it's much easier to take a small amount of a larger pre-mixed solution than to prepare a small amount, and far more accurate too. Some good organisation going on as well.

Looking forward to the next chapter :)

Week 2

The Ratios of the Splash

60ml Alcohol
25ml Witch Hazel
3ml Glycerine
6ml Polysorbate 20
6ml Essential Oil 'Base'

Blending Your Oils
W0VHWsx.jpg

Vetiver EO 1ml
Black Pepper EO 1ml
Nutmeg EO .5ml
Ginger EO .1 ml
Bergamot EO .75ml
Lemon EO .5ml
Polysorb 20 - 4.75ml

Adding the Oils

UX6vAis.jpg

Making a Base

Great work @todras. A fascinating project!

Bloody sensational read mate - amazingly impressive!

If we are talking impressive, let us turn our attention to your razor/brush collection, I am very glad that you are enjoying it though :)

I think, or well I hope, that having this information here means that other people don't have to expend as much effort trawling the web for the so little accurate and useful information that is out there. I do have to thank a few Perfume forums (they hate aftershave with a passion) as their data readily lends itself to dilution calculations even if they are a bit unwieldy for my legal brain.

I will post on the Fougère once I have mapped out where I want to go with it exactly and have done the necessary calculations and what not. I will post an update of sorts with a little on that particular accord - it's going to be much trickier than the PC as there are around 14 or so notes in it.

As a chemical lab assistant in a former life, you've got the dilution technique sorted - it's much easier to take a small amount of a larger pre-mixed solution than to prepare a small amount, and far more accurate too. Some good organisation going on as well.

That is reassuring hear you say that. I intuitively thought that due to the lack of scales and the meniscus and parallax error from reading the pipette that larger fluid volumes would be easier to maintain accuracy with, aside from the efficiency of making a larger base amount. With the EO's the smallest excess of amount can have a significantly larger impact than the volume of the error itself. Tricky business with the top notes of the scents, a real skill in mastering that aspect.

Thanks for the encouragement too all of you that posted here, I really do try not to prattle on too much although I'm really liking dabbling with it all, it's rather fun :)

Beautiful work @todras - thank you for your great insight (y)

Very very impressive @todras - methodical and organised ++: like cooking, I would imagine also essential in perfumery.

I just have a question about the surfactant / emulsifier added - Ogalla Bay Rum does separate into an oil layer on the surface and the bottle specifies it must be shaken before use. Would there be some reason they wouldn't want to use the emulsifier?
The "tonic" produced by Chatillion Lux doesn't have alcohol but does separate into layers and should be shaken before use - would the emulsifier solve this?

Also with the maturation - does it continue to evolve / mature in the bottle? As such can it go "too far" and become unpleasant? Is there some way of "fixing" the scent at the stage you like?

Really fascinating mate - well done!

Good questions @Snooze

I just have a question about the surfactant / emulsifier added - Ogalla Bay Rum does separate into an oil layer on the surface and the bottle specifies it must be shaken before use. Would there be some reason they wouldn't want to use the emulsifier?

I came so close to mentioning Ogallala but thought I had better not. I have 3 of their splashes and they all show the same signs of separation. I have to shake the heck out of them every time before I use them. Short answer yes of course, I could not possibly comment on why they choose not to use one.

The "tonic" produced by Chatillion Lux doesn't have alcohol but does separate into layers and should be shaken before use - would the emulsifier solve this?

I can't speak for Chantillon Lux (you would have to ask them directly) but from what I know without alcohol of a certain percentage, you cannot get the essential oils into solution. Tonics/skin toners are a balancing act of scent versus the lack of alcohol. What you do is you use a carrier oil instead of alcohol (TOBS does this with it's Jermyn St Aftershave) but you still generally need Polysorb. Tonics are a balancing act and you will always get separation where there are genuine Essential Oils used.

Just out of interest too I have always been told and always do shake my alcohol based splashes vigorously before use as some separation is unavoidable even with polysorb or another agent present.

Also with the maturation - does it continue to evolve / mature in the bottle? As such can it go "too far" and become unpleasant? Is there some way of "fixing" the scent at the stage you like?

There are 2 stages in this regard generally speaking:

Stage 1 - You blend your oils and make a base or your scent.
The accepted wisdom amongst the perfume crowd and many others is that 3 days to 1 week is sufficient time to leave the essential oils with or without the emulsifier to 'mature' or more correctly emulsify with one another or the agent. As we are talking pure essential oils in a highly pure state there is little risk of the oil spoiling over 1 week unless the temperature hits a high point, or the oil is old or contaminated. Some high end artisans go for much longer, not really necessary or applicable to me with my splash

Stage 2 - After 1 week you test your scent, if it's all good to go you then combine it with your fixative (Perfumers Alcohol), your Witch Hazel, Glycerine etc. The essential oils at this point will continue to emulsify and therefore "change" their smell over a month or two depending on the oils, grade, quantities and a whole bunch of other variables.

Providing the essential oils are pure, unadulterated and there have been no contaminants introduced at any stage of the process the alcohol serves to fix them in effect minimising the risk of them going bad. Excessive heat or exposure to light however will turn some oils.

There are preservatives you can add but given the likely lifetime of the product are not considered necessary. The addition of Vitamin E can occur to act as a preservative of sorts due to the organic nature of the compounds but equally of use is a dark coloured bottle.

The other option is the addition of .50 % of Optiphen which is Phenoxyethanol fixed in Caprylyl Glycol. It is an approved preservative. The issue with it however is that it is best used in high percentage perfumes that use oil as a fixative and therefore we don't typically see it in an aftershave splash as it is really not needed. It is used in just about all the post shave balms and so on.

Fantastic thread. One thing that I've always wondered about with the emulsifier - why not just separate the "shaving" ingredients from the "stink pretty" ingredients?

By that I mean, why not just have an unscented "after shaving splash" first up, which is your witch hazel, glycerine, water, alcohol (if you want it) and any other water soluble moisturisers etc for the "skin care" aspect?

Then follow up with a EdT or cologne which is oil based and carries you through the day from the scent POV. That way, if you have a particular desire to use a commercial cologne for a change you can, while still using the unscented "after shave" concoction that works best for you from a skin care aspect.

I'm personally on a mission to find a decent unscented, alcohol free after shave balm (predominantly glycerine I'm thinking) post alum that I can match with unscented roll-on (or alum) anti-perspirant, so I can then use my EdT / cologne properly - as that lasts through the day. But I love how you're stepping up the mission on the scent side of things! Thanks for posting all this up...

By that I mean, why not just have an unscented "after shaving splash" first up, which is your witch hazel, glycerine, water, alcohol (if you want it) and any other water soluble moisturisers etc for the "skin care" aspect?

There are a fair few 'recipes' around that do just that, you simply add 2ml or so (depending on your thayers bottle size) of glycerine to a bottle of your chosen Thayers Witch Hazel or indeed any large bottle of Witch Hazel. Just FYI most witch hazels contain denatured alchohol at 8% - 14% to keep things in solution although that concentration is tiny.

Good questions @Snooze

I came so close to mentioning Ogallala but thought I had better not. I have 3 of their splashes and they all show the same signs of separation. I have to shake the heck out of them every time before I use them. Short answer yes of course, I could not possibly comment on why they choose not to use one.

I can't speak for Chantillon Lux (you would have to ask them directly) but from what I know without alcohol of a certain percentage, you cannot get the essential oils into solution. Tonics/skin toners are a balancing act of scent versus the lack of alcohol. What you do is you use a carrier oil instead of alcohol (TOBS does this with it's Jermyn St Aftershave) but you still generally need Polysorb. Tonics are a balancing act and you will always get separation where there are genuine Essential Oils used.

Just out of interest too I have always been told and always do shake my alcohol based splashes vigorously before use as some separation is unavoidable even with polysorb or another agent present.

There are 2 stages in this regard generally speaking:

Stage 1 - You blend your oils and make a base or your scent.
The accepted wisdom amongst the perfume crowd and many others is that 3 days to 1 week is sufficient time to leave the essential oils with or without the emulsifier to 'mature' or more correctly emulsify with one another or the agent. As we are talking pure essential oils in a highly pure state there is little risk of the oil spoiling over 1 week unless the temperature hits a high point, or the oil is old or contaminated. Some high end artisans go for much longer, not really necessary or applicable to me with my splash

Stage 2 - After 1 week you test your scent, if it's all good to go you then combine it with your fixative (Perfumers Alcohol), your Witch Hazel, Glycerine etc. The essential oils at this point will continue to emulsify and therefore "change" their smell over a month or two depending on the oils, grade, quantities and a whole bunch of other variables.

Providing the essential oils are pure, unadulterated and there have been no contaminants introduced at any stage of the process the alcohol serves to fix them in effect minimising the risk of them going bad. Excessive heat or exposure to light however will turn some oils.

There are preservatives you can add but given the likely lifetime of the product are not considered necessary. The addition of Vitamin E can occur to act as a preservative of sorts due to the organic nature of the compounds but equally of use is a dark coloured bottle.

The other option is the addition of .50 % of Optiphen which is Phenoxyethanol fixed in Caprylyl Glycol. It is an approved preservative. The issue with it however is that it is best used in high percentage perfumes that use oil as a fixative and therefore we don't typically see it in an aftershave splash as it is really not needed. It is used in just about all the post shave balms and so on.
Thanks @todras - great info.

Week 3 Part 1 - Blending the Splash, The Ratios of the Splash

I had a flash in the week, and have decided to call my range 'Australian Private Reserve' or APR with a two letter code. This will permit it to be more distinct and less confusing to discuss....Speaking of APR-PC or APR-GL is far easier than the previous nomenclature I think and I also plan to use facetious and amusing French names which are a hassle if you are using an English language system.

This Week
This week I will be blending the Base of APR-PC (côtelettes de porc - PC) which has been blending in polysorb-20 for a week (with daily agitation) with my combination of Perfumers Alcohol, Witch hazel, glycerine and Polysorb-20. Some interesting developments in regards to Polysorb-20 and Glycerine.

Blending your Rested Essential Oil Accord with Alcohol, Witch Hazel, Glycerine
After experimentation with 5 to 10 more ratios and batches of alcohol, witch hazel and glycerine I have revised my formula to reflect the best possible face feel and viscosity. I had a number of issues to iron out, firstly the drying effects of the alcohol and most problematic the glycerine of which the learning curve and attenuation was the most challenging.

The issue was the liquid containing sufficient alcohol to prevent the oils falling out of solution (precipitate) while concurrently ensuring that the splash was not abrasive or damaging to the face post shave. The further issue was the mixing of the essential oils with the increased amounts of witch hazel and avoiding a cloudy, muddy solution - quite the challenge.

So here it is, the ratios that will prevent a muddy, cloudy solution while also facilitating the Essential oils to remain in solution. I had half a mind not to post the exact formula as it was so hard won - my artisan friend in the US chuckled wryly when I asked him what ratio's work and he intoned cryptically that correctly formulating the splash is actually quite difficult. Post experimentation I have to agree, I sent him my final ratio and he confirmed it as being almost identical to his own.

I reasoned that withholding or obfuscating my hard won formula it would not be in keeping with the spirit of P&C. Feel free to use it, have fun altering the ratios and observing the effects particularly when you work with heavier or different EO's. It's a fun ride, let me assure you!

The Caveat: Glycerine is a tricky beast, do not get cavalier with Glycerine - The difference between .025ml in a solution can result in a sticky, nasty post shave feel. My original calculation of 4 mls per 100mls of solution was way, way to strong. It took several iterations and gradual reductions for me to reach the current usable and moisturising level. More is less with Glycerine - be warned!

If anyone does every decide to make their own aftershave and needs help with the non scent related issues of composition, please don't hesitate to drop me a PM or otherwise and I will provide as much assistance as I can: It's a very tricky business and accurate information on the internet is scarce to none existent. As with many things on the net there is a wealth of barking mad, inexact, speculative and outright incorrect 'Earth Mother' types out there who are well meaning with their recipes and blogs, but woefully ill-informed. Be warned - a lot of dubious info on blog pages and aromatherapy sites.

The Ratio - Makes 100ml of Aftershave Splash at 6% Strength
Perfumers Alcohol - 55 ml
Witch Hazel - 24 ml (14% alcohol Witch Hazel)
Polysorb 20 - 14ml
Essential Oils - 6ml
Glycerine - .5ml -
----------------------
Total ml: 99.5 ml
We keep an extra .5ml for the addition of more polysorb-20 after mixing if necessary to clear up a cloudy solution. If the solution is clear enough, we may add an extra .5ml of alcohol or witch hazel

Mixing your Aftershave
Equipment Needed

Sticker or Label for labelling the bottle - Name, Date, Strength
1x 150ml or 200ml Dark Amber Glass bottle with lid
1x Glass funnel
1x Glass Measuring Beaker of 250ml Capacity
1x 20ml Glass measuring Cup
3x Brand new Pipettes
Bottles of Alcohol, Witch Hazel, Glycerine & Polysorb 20
Bottle of your previously mixed and aged for 1 week mixed essential oils/and or essential oils and polysorb (Your scent)
Notebook and pen for making observational notes

All liquids go into the 250ml Glass beaker
  1. Measure out 55ml of Alcohol carefully pouring into the 250ml glass beaker
  2. Carefully pour 20 ml of Witch Hazel into the 20ml glass measuring cup then pour into 250ml beaker.
  3. Take your pipette and carefully measure 4 mls more of alcohol, put them in the beaker.
  4. Take another clean pipette and carefully measure .5ml of Glycerine, put it into the 250 ml beaker.
  5. Take another clean pipette and carefully measure out 14ml of Polysorb 20 - NB: if you have mixed your essential oils with 6ml of Polysorb 20 already then only add 8ml of polysorb 20 to the beaker.
  6. Lastly add 12ml (Polysorb-20 mixed with Essential Oils) or 6ml of pure essential oils to the 250ml beaker.
  7. Carefully stir well with a pipette for around 30 seconds.
  8. Once stirred, carefully pour the 100ml of solution into the large 150 or 250ml dark amber bottle. Put the cap on securely and tightly and shake the bottle for 1 to 2 minutes.
  9. Make sure you label the bottle with name, date and strength.
Once everything is mixed and has been shaken for around 10 minutes in total you need to rest the solution for 24hrs in a cool dark place (you can shake it occasionally) before decanting it into smaller bottles to age further. Even once decanted the aftershave will need 2 to 3 weeks to fully mature, however it is usable immediately.

uOAhgb8.jpg

So here we see my 250ml bottle of mixed aftershave that was mixed, shaken well then left to rest for 24hrs. My pipettes, labelled 5ml bottles with drip regulators.

I made 200ml of APR-PC and here you can see me decanting it into 5ml bottles that will be sent out in a week or 2 as testers. The aftershave at 30ml is visible in the glass measuring cup - note that there is a slight cloudiness which will dissipate slightly but it is at a level I am more than comfortable with given that this is a Vetiver.

The Scent: I will let the testers report on this when both scents are sent out in a couple of weeks. I am very happy with it though :cool:

Week 3 Part 2 - Australian Private Reserve - GL (les généraux du grand livre) Fougère

So in this part I calmly and openly detail my complete and absolute descent into often hilarious, absolute bloody madness.

My inclination, come driven necessity, come stubborn insistence that I try and recreate one of the most complex, difficult scents in the fragrance world under some ill-reasoned and frankly quite-mad insistence that I can do it led to the following 'saga'. Little did I know the steep learning curve and financial out-lay that I was getting in to....

One does not simple make a Fougère using essential oils as I soon realised. It is much more complicated, time consuming and exacting than all that. What I post here to be truthful I hope will deter all but the completely committed and barking mad among us from attempting this. It's incredibly enjoyable to do, but there are many steps and a steep learning curve with the resources on the internet being next to completely useless. Be prepared to do a lot of reading of chemical, historical and technical language and articles - if that sounds too much, just read what I am about to write here. Be wary of middle aged women who run blogs too, it's bloody crazy out there!

Before I start: I understand now why 97% of artisan wet-shave splash, soap and balm producers are happy enough using fragrance oils or fragrance oils mixed with Essential Oils to make Fougère. Given the cost of the ingredients, the level of skill required and the viability factors I sympathise.

I do however deeply and immeasurably respect the very, very few who insist on creating the real Fougère using only pure EO's and Absolutes- You know who you are ;)

The Essential Oils - The Expense
Below are the approximate prices you will pay for the oils and absolutes necessary to make a genuine and very basic Fougère. As I mentioned previously, I am keeping my formula to myself as is tradition. The formula I will post though is a great start for those interested.

The countries are listed next to the oils/absolutes where necessary as these are the ones you absolutely must use, the more astute among you will soon realise that the ones used are also the most expensive.

Obtaining different oils or absolutes will change the scent and notes considerably, often it can spoil or completely alter the scent. If you are intent on the real deal, go with the identical countries and origins of the ones listed by price below..don't try and save a buck, you will shoot yourself in the foot.

Shop around for EO's too - these are the prices I found for pure EO's and Absolutes. These are the smallest quantities sold at this quality:you do not use the entire quantity of the oils in one batch.

Absolutes: These are sold by gram weight, they are usually solid pure crystals (as I found out) and require processing prior to use. I have detailed this below as it was unexpected and quite complicated. Be Warned - I said this Fougère was a descent into madness!

Oakmoss Absolute (France) $28.00 5g
Tonka Bean Absolute (Venezuela) $45.00 18g
Vetiver (Haiti) $19.50 18ml
Bergamot Oil (Italy) $41.80 25ml
Lavender (French) $10.00 15ml
Rose Otto (Bulgaria) $44.00 2ml

On top of these, my formula uses an extra 4 or 5 EO's and absolutes, suffice to say the notes I wanted by way of luckless conspiracy turned out to be the most expensive but by the time I realised this it was too late - I was committed to the madness and insistent on seeing it through!!

Concerning the Absolutes with reference to Tonka
Very simply: Absolutes are substances that due to their chemical composition are extracted with solvents, the solvents are then extracted again leaving only the high purity essence or crystals. Due to the chemistry, quantity and process involved in producing them they are typically quite costly.

Absolutes usually are sold in small glass tubs of rock hard crystals (picture below) leaving the purchaser with the immediate and abrupt realisation that things just became somewhat more complicated and that one must muddle on given the financial outlay.

Wear gloves when handling absolutes, especially tonka!

6nbxXXe.jpg

Venezuelan Tonka Absolute 18g - Slighly damp, very oily Rock hard amber crystals teaming with Coumarin one of the essential base notes of the classic Fougère. Coumarin also acts as a fixative (google) in perfume.

Working With Tonka

Quite predictably the internet was of little to no use when seeking information on the process necessary for rendering these crystals into a usable volumetric form.

It took quite some weeks to discover a text from 1800's or so that described the method necessary to produce a tincture. You make the tincture then it needs to rest for around 1 to 2 months. When you use the tonka bean solution you need to warm it to around 55C

There are other methods around, however they are far more complex and demand more apparatus and skill. I have used the method detailed below and it worked more than adequately for my project.

Making a Tonka Bean Tincture
The following items are needed:

Digital Scales
Pestle and Mortar to gring/smash tonka bean crystals
Small plastic spoon, wooden kebab stake or some other clean impliment to break the crystals
1x 20ml or 30 ml amber bottle
1x 20ml of perfumers alcohol
1 measuring cup for measuring alcohol

Part 1:
  1. Extract 9 grams of tonka bean crystals from tub, weigh on scales
  2. Once 9 grams exactly are weighed tip into a clean pestle & mortar and grind to a fine crystalline powder.
  3. Carefully place all crystals in your 20 or 30ml amber bottle
  4. Measure out 20ml of alcohol and tip into amber bottle.
  5. Shake vigorously for 5 mins.
  6. Rest solution for 24hrs in sealed bottle, cool dark place. Shake occasionally
YFVzgQL.jpg

Part 2
  1. Boil the kettle
  2. Once kettle has boiled fill a nice thick mug 1/3 of the way with boiling water.
  3. Place the opened bottle of Tonka and alcohol into the cup
  4. Leave for 25 seconds, occasionally swirling the solution.
  5. Seal bottle tightly while still quite hot, shake vigorously for 40 seconds.
  6. If the solution has heated correctly, the bottle will now be a thicker, clearer solution with no crystals visible.
  7. Repeat steps 3 through 5, 4 times removing the cap for 10 seconds to smell each time.
  8. Leave the bottle of solution for at least 1 month, repeating steps 3 to 5 as needed.
When the bottle cools, you will see the crystals begin to re-crystalize (fall out of solution) however a large percentage of them will now be in solution. Re-heating the bottle once cooled will see the same phenomena occur again.

The tincture is usable when 1ml of the solution drawn up by pipette is a deep amber and brown colour with an intoxicating smell of pure tonka bean.

So now we have our Tonka in an alcohol suspension, when we add it to our essential oils when making the Fougère we warm it up so the crystals melt and then add it to our 'base' bottle with the rest of the Essential oils for the Fougère.

Too Easy :p

Basic Fougère Formula - Makes 100ml of Aftershave/Splash at 6% Dilution
6rgo6HK.jpg

Be prepared - Pipettes, notes with formula, bottle to take the 'base', basket to ensure no duplication and all the Essential Oils and absolutes in order. This is a picture of GL (les généraux du grand livre) being mixed using 13 EO's and absolutes.

Fougère
Oak moss 0.25ml
Vetiver 0.5ml
Tonka 1.25ml

Lavender 2.0ml
Geranium 0.5ml

Bergamot 1.0ml
Rose .5ml

The Base notes are at the top, the heart in the middle and at the bottom are the tops. We add the base oils first, then the middles then the tops.

Every time you add an oil, stop. Swirl the bottle and smell.

This formula above will make 6ml of Essential Oil. To this 6ml of Essential Oil 6 to 7ml of Polysorb 20 is added (if using witch hazel or water based liquids in your splash). The bottle is then sealed, shaken for 4 to 5 minutes and put in a dark cool place for a week, the bottle is shaken for 2 to 3 minutes daily to ensure the oils marry and mix correctly.

The trick is that the formula is not absolute/fixed. Small increases, small decreases make a world of difference. Be prepared before you start mixing, have everything you will need as previously mentioned in the first part.

GL will now sit for a week to marry, I will then repeat the dilution process detailed in my previous post and get some into 5ml sample bottles to be sent to the testers. I won't comment on the scent aside from saying OH HELL YES!

Finale
That's it for this week, my apologies once again if this has been unnecessarily boring or long winded but I felt I ought to accurately document and describe the process, complications and expense involved in my amateur making and attempt at a Fougère.

I will be bottling this up in the next week or 2 and sending out the testers. I have 2 or 3 other scents I am working on using the self-same processes detailed here. I will post more about them when they come to fruition.

I am also working on a post shave balm, it's almost complete in regards to composition and I plan on using the GL and PC scents with it. Once I have it complete I will post some more information, to be honest I doubt I will detail the development process as it takes so long. I will be posting out samples of both balms with the aftershave splash testers. A full and exhaustive ingredients list for the balm and the splash will be included with the mail out.

Comments, corrections, criticisms always welcome gentlemen :)

Status
Not open for further replies.