What was your first artisan soap?

Ignoring mass produced melt and pours, specifically Proraso and Col Conk, it was a @Barrister & Mann sample pack & Fougere's :)
See, it's ALL your bloody fault Will ;)

Stirling Barbershop. I also now use Sharp Dressed Man, Orange Chill and Gin & Tonic. Just recently started using Route 66. Sweeny Todd and Perfect Storm my favorites.

I might be getting old, but I can't honestly remember - I do remember possibly the first iteration of Occam's being a possibility.

WM Neumann Bay Rum and 1911 that I bought through BST on another forum. I then bought a large number of Mike's soaps and was totally hooked. Bay Rum, Barbershop, Lemongrass and Eucalyptus, Orange Cedarwood and Pepper, Rose and Cedarwood. This was 3-4 years ago. Still haven't used up most of those early soaps.

Mine was a present from my brother when he visited Western Australia about 8 years ago I think... Made by Mt Romance it was a Sandalwood "Santalia" shave soap in tin.

They don't seem to have it anymore (only shave gels on their website!). I used my grandfather's old boar brush with it and a two-bladed Sensor Excel. When I ran out it made me seek out more shaving soap in puck form. I bought some Crabtree & Evelyn West Indies soap which smelt amazing- but didn't lather at all! THAT experience led me to look it up on the Net and led me into a DEEEEEEEEEP rabbit hole... [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Shaver Heaven Juicy Froot (Tallow V3) was my first use of an artisan soap - which happened this morning courtesy of a PIF by @nsavage (thanks again!)! Great soap - my daughter thought it smelt like ice cream but that's only because she is yet to try the chewing gum of the same name... a dead ringer.

I never believed that soap could be better than cream. Then my wife bought me a tin of Shiner Gold shaving soap. I'd been using their excellent pomade for some time but didn't know they also made soap. It was very slick stuff actually. Now I only use soap.

Pretty sure it was Razorock XXX. Like the scent but the lack of cushion was a let down.
Followed that purchase with Reef Point, Caties... then I had 40 soaps somehow

Last edited by a moderator:
I never got on the Artisan bandwagon. I liked B&M Seville, but it lasted all of 5 minutes.

I've tried a few others, but apart from interesting scents, (which is no biggie for me) they're no better on performance than my favourites like Tabac, Speick and Cella. So artisans are pretty low ROI for me.

Pretty sure it was Razorock XXX. Like the scent but the lack of cushion was a let down.
Followed that purchase with Reef Point, Caties... then I had 40 soaps somehow

It’s certainly not a bad soap, in fact, it’s a great soap and I do enjoy it, but I don’t get all the hype over it, and the scent.

Mine was Stirling Frozen Tundra. Absolutely love it, perfect amount of menthol IMO.

Stirling Barbershop. I also now use Sharp Dressed Man, Orange Chill and Gin & Tonic. Just recently started using Route 66. Sweeny Todd and Perfect Storm my favorites.
How are you finding the gin and tonic?

It’s certainly not a bad soap, in fact, it’s a great soap and I do enjoy it, but I don’t get all the hype over it, and the scent.
From what I've read, the original version of this was meant to be better. Of course this was a few years back when the overhype was real.

RR seem to have their fans, and it's a shame the performance of them isn't great (in my opinion) as I like some of their scents. Zi Peppino in particular.

From what I've read, the original version of this was meant to be better. Of course this was a few years back when the overhype was real.

RR seem to have their fans, and it's a shame the performance of them isn't great (in my opinion) as I like some of their scents. Zi Peppino in particular.
Exactly. To be honest, I find SH soaps to be the best performing, with the strongest scents, that I’ve tried thus far. But, to each their own, this is all personal preference after all.