February 2017 Acquisition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
GBLime_br9002.jpg

2x bottles found their way to me this afternoon, thanks to an anonymous member here, that I'm openly expressing my gratitude towards :)

I know what you mean, trying new stuff is a great idea. For me though, I have no intention of using soap who's scent I am not enamoured with. Same goes for performance. I also want matching splash so that narrows down my choices quite dramatically - which I have no problem with. I wasn't always this way but I these days, the only things in my drawer that don't have matching splash are Shaver Heaven, or were gifts.

I used to share the same view but I found there were too many superb soaps I was missing out on due to requiring the whole 'paired soap and splash' thing. i.e. Martin de Candre, S.M Novella Crema Di Barba, Valobra, Mystic Water, Acqua Di Palma etc none of which have paired splashes, in the case of the MdC my current puck is unscented, I just find an aftershave balm and an aftershave I feel like wearing for the day and use it.

If a soap has a rank smell then obviously I wont use it, but I find I get to use a lot more top tier soaps by breaking free of the paired splash restraint personally, many of the paired soap and splash combos fall into the definitely mid tier soap category.

I used to share the same view but I found there were too many superb soaps I was missing out on due to requiring the whole 'paired soap and splash' thing. i.e. Martin de Candre, S.M Novella Crema Di Barba, Valobra, Mystic Water, Acqua Di Palma etc none of which have paired splashes, in the case of the MdC my current puck is unscented, I just find an aftershave balm and an aftershave I feel like wearing for the day and use it.

If a soap has a rank smell then obviously I wont use it, but I find I get to use a lot more top tier soaps by breaking free of the paired splash restraint personally, many of the paired soap and splash combos fall into the definitely mid tier soap category.

Yes....few paired soaps are worth buying, ipso facto I buy considerably less soap/splash!

You are cheating now anyway - you just make a splash to suit!

20170218_112725.jpg

An almost complete boxed Gem Micromatic joins the den for $30 delivered from the US in 7 days. AusPost you are just silly. And yes, it's full of genuine US dust. No attempt to pretty this up was made :)

Any suggestions on modern blades for this SE classic?

An almost complete boxed Gem Micromatic joins the den for $30 delivered from the US in 7 days. AusPost you are just silly. And yes, it's full of genuine US dust. No attempt to pretty this up was made :)

Nice! The best blades are the Gems from Connaught - http://connaughtshaving.com/gemss.html

I added a D1 Toggle to the collection today, thanks to a generous private seller. There are some odd tooling marks on it's toggle lever, but at <$100 I can live with that!

At less than $100 for a Toggle you should live with a lot - nice pickup!

Thanks to @Draco Noir I not only picked up my Platypus brush last week, but I came away with a bag full of goodies to try out.
He was incredibly generous, and my goodie bag contained the following:
Floid Vigoroso A/S splash
Stirling Glastonbury soap
Personna red blades
Shaver Heaven Absolution soap
D.R. Harris Arlington cream
P&B Spitfire soap

Also, he loaned me an Antiga Barbearia boar brush, which has been slightly neglected as yet - I might have been a little preoccupied with my new Platypus...
I will definitely be giving this a run soon though!
Thanks again @Draco Noir I can't express the gratitude I have from your incredibly kind gesture! ;)

88651db9252bc4271d12b782aa139aa4.jpg

I added a D1 Toggle to the collection today, thanks to a generous private seller. There are some odd tooling marks on it's toggle lever, but at <$100 I can live with that!
Great score @huntereyes_ - the Toggle is a beautiful razor. Looks like someone attacked yours with a pair of pliers - madness:mad:

20170218_112725.jpg

Great pickup @Greenpike - the blade stops look perfect which is critical. It will clean up very nicely! These are probably the most aggressive GEM, so be interested to hear what you think.
I agree with the recommendation about the GEM Personna blades from Connaught - Ive bought 200 so that should last for a while!

Long awaited mail call today!

Some Spitfire Solid Cologne from the wonderful @Kerry@Phoenix&Beau - cracking scent from just opening the container, can't wait to use it. Much smaller than I was expecting - but I have no reason to really expect anything larger, I was just thinking soap puck size I suppose! As it is these would be a GREAT travel cologne, very compact and not a LAG I presume.

The other arrival was definitely long awaited. I thought of buying one (or indeed two with consecutive numbers for myself and my son) of these when released by Simpson but then prevaricated due to the cost and they ended up selling out. So I've been hunting around for a while and finally number 19 has come into my hands -

With the Isle of Man 2012 coin in the base and a lovely colour this is a great looking brush -

'Manchurian badger' knot in all its 22x48mm glory

Used only once according to the previous, original, owner. Not sure if I can use this now or if I have to wait until my birthday - might be a nice present for me :)

Lovely brush @Mark1966 - great find!! I think you should only use it on HRH Queen Elizabeths birthday;)

@Mark1966

Looking at that I am thinking that I need to get my hands on a top end Simpsons

Last edited by a moderator:
@Mark1966

Looking at that I am thinking that I need to get my hands on a top end Simpsons

They have their fans, so to speak, and their critics. I'm a bit of a history tragic so the heritage of Simpson gets me AND their MD, Mark Watterson, has been great to deal with over some reknots etc

They have their fans, so to speak, and their critics. I'm a bit of a history tragic so the heritage of Simpson gets me AND their MD, Mark Watterson, has been great to deal with over some reknots etc

I sort of like traditional goods myself. And to be honest, I have never tried one. So it's worthwhile giving it a go next year.

How are they if I wanted to send them a blank?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.