Hey People. Greetings from Canberra.

lerenau

...is a cheeky monkey
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure what to say here, so I I'll just ramble for a while...

Begin ramble
I'm in my late thirties. I live and work in Canberra, currently living northside and working in the city.
I'm in IT. The less said on that the better. (yawn)

Anyway, what brought me here? Horrible shaving experiences, mostly.
I've used every supermarket option out there. Been through most department store offerings. Seen specialty clinics and doctors. Yet, none of them were able to stop my skin freaking out every time I shaved.
To make matters worse, I have Scottish and Mediterranean blood... So, NOT shaving is typically not an option.

Then, about two months ago, I stumbled across a DE-shaving starter kit. I decided to give it a whirl (it's only money!) and I have been impressed since day one.
Don't get me wrong, I still *sometimes* have bad shaves. But, it's always for a reason. "Didn't sleep well last night", "In a hurry", "clean-up turned into 4 extra against-the-grain passes"... ie: clear mistakes that I can (and do) learn from.

Long story short, I'm noticing that as my technique and patience improves, my skin is getting noticeably better overall... At least until I open that pack of feathers that I've been so-far too chicken to try.

My current kit
Razor:
- Merkur 34c. Pretty happy with it. It's the first/only DE razor I've ever owned.
- I have a Rockwell 6c on order because I'm a kickstarter floozy and it was pretty.
- I am also trying to find excuses to buy a Charcoal (Vertigo Brass) or a Timeless razor. Maybe even a Blackbird; but that might just be my hormones talking.

Products:
- Geo F. Trumper (soap and skin-juice). Came with the 34c. Very good. Still my lightweight fallback choice.
- Thayer's unscented witch-hazel. Love it.
- Alum block. Came with the 34c. Omg! How have I never heard of these before!? Really helps my skin.
- Crown King and Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements (soaps and after-shaves). I like them, especially if I want a scent.
- Razorock soap. This one seems to be jinxed. Every time I've used it, I've had a terrible shave. But, I don't know if it's the soap or me... I'll give it one more chance if I can work up the courage.
- I also have about 10 brands of blades that I'm going through. Current faves are Astra and Gillette... I haven't dared touch the Feathers yet.

What's next?
I really want to try some Australian brands of product. But, they seem quite hard to come by.
Is there some list of Aussie brands somewhere? I seem to just stumble across them.
- My next order will include something from Wolfpac (Silk Road?)
- I tried to get my hands on anything by Shaver Heaven. But it looks like I missed the boat. I'm really pissed about that.
- I liked the idea of Occams. But, their site shows *everything* as sold-out. Have they shut down?
- The only other one I'm aware of is Whispers from the Woods. So, I'll try that too. But I don't know much about it.

Well, that went for way too long considering noone's likely to read it.
Anyhoo, if I ever meet any of you in person, the first round's on me.

Cheers.

Ren

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure what to say here, so I I'll just ramble for a while...

Begin ramble
I'm in my late thirties. I live and work in Canberra, currently living northside and working in the city.
I'm in IT. The less said on that the better. (yawn)

Anyway, what brought me here? Horrible shaving experiences, mostly.
I've used every supermarket option out there. Been through most department store offerings. Seen specialty clinics and doctors. Yet, none of them were able to stop my skin freaking out every time I shaved.
To make matters worse, I have Scottish and Mediterranean blood... So, NOT shaving is typically not an option.

Then, about two months ago, I stumbled across a DE-shaving starter kit. I decided to give it a whirl (it's only money!) and I have been impressed since day one.
Don't get me wrong, I still *sometimes* have bad shaves. But, it's always for a reason. "Didn't sleep well last night", "In a hurry", "clean-up turned into 4 extra against-the-grain passes"... ie: clear mistakes that I can (and do) learn from.

Long story short, I'm noticing that as my technique and patience improves, my skin is getting noticeably better overall... At least until I open that pack of feathers that I've been so-far too chicken to try.

My current kit
Razor:

- Merkur 34c. Pretty happy with it. It's the first/only DE razor I've ever owned.
- I have a Rockwell 6c on order because I'm a kickstarter floozy and it was pretty.
- I am also trying to find excuses to buy a Charcoal (Vertigo Brass) or a Timeless razor. Maybe even a Blackbird; but that might just be my hormones talking.

Products:
- Geo F. Trumper (soap and skin-juice). Came with the 34c. Very good. Still my lightweight fallback choice.
- Thayer's unscented witch-hazel. Love it.
- Alum block. Came with the 34c. Omg! How have I never heard of these before!? Really helps my skin.
- Crown King and Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements (soaps and after-shaves). I like them, especially if I want a scent.
- Razorock soap. This one seems to be jinxed. Every time I've used it, I've had a terrible shave. But, I don't know if it's the soap or me... I'll give it one more chance if I can work up the courage.
- I also have about 10 brands of blades that I'm going through. Current faves are Astra and Gillette... I haven't dared touch the Feathers yet.

What's next?
I really want to try some Australian brands of product. But, they seem quite hard to come by.
Is there some list of Aussie brands somewhere? I seem to just stumble across them.
- My next order will include something from Wolfpac (Silk Road?)
- I tried to get my hands on anything by Shaver Heaven. But it looks like I missed the boat. I'm really pissed about that.
- I liked the idea of Occams. But, their site shows *everything* as sold-out. Have they shut down?
- The only other one I'm aware of is Whispers from the Woods. So, I'll try that too. But I don't know much about it.

Well, that went for way too long considering noone's likely to read it.
Anyhoo, if I ever meet any of you in person, the first round's on me.

Cheers.

Ren
Welcome @lerenau, look like you've got a great set up going. There are a few Aussie made soap options around these days, Wolfpac, Whispers from the Woods, Occams (usually in stock @ Mensbiz), Squadron Soaps and Australian Private Reserve. I haven't tried the APR soaps yet but the other 4 I've mentioned are all excellent products.

Welcome @lerenau , the guys here read all the threads. So you'll be noticed.
Great introduction!
Am actually quite new to the DE shaving as well and learnt a lot from the gents here already.
Don't be scare of feathers as it sounds like you know what you are doing already.
Just take your time with them like I did and then relax into the shave.
Shaver Heaven is coming back apparently.
As for the other q's someone will answer your queries as am too interested in their response on occams and wolfpac.

Welcome to P&C @lereanu - great to have you here on P&C (y)

You have a great line-up already - but what about your brush(es) ...

Welcome @lerenau
You're in good hands with Mark and err Mark, both two senior members down Canberra way.
Now there's three of you, you three could possibly arrange a meet up?
Both of them would share sizable amounts of experience and advise with you :)
Wouldn't you @Mark1966 and @stillshunter ?

Welcome @lerenau - thanks for the intro. You've got good gear, and some fun times ahead for sure. If ever in doubt, just ask. There are some great guys on P&C that are quick to provide good advice.

Welcome @lerenau !

Glad to have another Canberran on board!

@stillshunter and I do catch up from time to time but he lives out in the country - I'm on the northside of Canberra as well though (Franklin) so very handy. The Squadron Soap and Australian Private Reserve range are both made by members here and top shelf stuff!

Looks like you have some nice kit AND some desires for me - we can probably help you with that ... (Check out the B/S/T for some great bargains)

Welcome @lerenau, look like you've got a great set up going. There are a few Aussie made soap options around these days, Wolfpac, Whispers from the Woods, Occams (usually in stock @ Mensbiz), Squadron Soaps and Australian Private Reserve. I haven't tried the APR soaps yet but the other 4 I've mentioned are all excellent products.
Excellent! hadn't heard of most of these until joining P&C last night.
I just placed an order with Squadron: "Spitfire!" and "The Warden". "Sweatheart" sounds different/nice, but is out of stock.
Later this week I will place a bulk order(s) and try some Wolfpac, Whispers, Occam's, and APR.

This habit is starting to get expensive. But, since its my only current vice (well, that and coffee) I think I reward myself.

Welcome @lerenau , the guys here read all the threads. So you'll be noticed.
Great introduction!
Am actually quite new to the DE shaving as well and learnt a lot from the gents here already.
Don't be scare of feathers as it sounds like you know what you are doing already.
Just take your time with them like I did and then relax into the shave.
Shaver Heaven is coming back apparently.
As for the other q's someone will answer your queries as am too interested in their response on occams and wolfpac.
Shaver Heaven is coming back?! Whoo! I'm looking forward to it!
Ok, I'll take the leap to a Feather Blade on my next rotation. I'm currently one shave into a "Blue Beard's Revenge". I'll let you know if I survive. :)

Welcome to P&C @lereanu - great to have you here on P&C (y)

You have a great line-up already - but what about your brush(es) ...
Hi Alfredus,
I'll admit I don't have a lot of experience with brushes. In fact, the only reason I have one at all is because it came with my kit... But I'm glad it did. It makes a huge difference. It is a synthetic 1092 and hasn't skipped a beat.
I know there are also boar-hair and badger-hair. But, I've never used either of those and the prices are a bit scary.

Welcome @lerenau
You're in good hands with Mark and err Mark, both two senior members down Canberra way.
Now there's three of you, you three could possibly arrange a meet up?
Both of them would share sizable amounts of experience and advise with you :)
Wouldn't you @Mark1966 and @stillshunter ?
Heh. Would it confuse matters further to say that my coffee-name is also "Mark"? (seriously)
I promise to use my real name if I am fortunate enough to ever meet anyone in person.
:)

Welcome @lerenau !

Glad to have another Canberran on board!

@stillshunter and I do catch up from time to time but he lives out in the country - I'm on the northside of Canberra as well though (Franklin) so very handy. The Squadron Soap and Australian Private Reserve range are both made by members here and top shelf stuff!

Looks like you have some nice kit AND some desires for me - we can probably help you with that ... (Check out the B/S/T for some great bargains)
They both sound great! I've just made an order with Squadron and APR will be in my big-haul at the end of the week. *grin*
My cousin lives in Franklin (Moonlight Avenue) and I live in Palmerston. Not far at all.
Thanks for the great advice (for everyone, really)! I'll definitely come back with more questions.

Heh. Would it confuse matters further to say that my coffee-name is also "Mark"? (seriously)
I promise to use my real name if I am fortunate enough to ever meet anyone in person.
:)
By all means use it :)
Start a Only Marks club ;)

BTW, I forget his user name, yet there's a member who does freshly ground coffee beans as well :)

Welcome @lerenau ,
The 34c is a great razor! I never got on with Feathers myself, give Polsilver blades a go when you get a chance. For me they are close in sharpness, but smoother.

Welcome @lerenau !
Sound like you're off to a good start!
Wet-shaving with DE or SE blades seems much better for most guys's skin - its probably also the prep and the soap that has a lot to do with it also.
There have been some good Aussie recommendations for soaps so far in this thread. Australian Private Reserve was started by one of the members here (@todras) and his soaps and splashes are excellent.(y)