138 shaves

I have 120 soaps (including some in reserve). Average is 120g.

At 1g per shave, that's 14,400 shaves...or 40 years of daily shaves. I'll need more soap at age 75!
By then the laser shaver would actually work. Or you'd press the button on your cyborg implant and the hair would fall out.

Last edited:
Less than 1 gram? I have made several measurements of weights before and after, and for the first base of APR was on the range of around 2 grams per shave. You cannot properly shave with less than 2 grams :ROFLMAO:

With my 30 mm silvertip brush and Stubble Trouble's Up and Adam I managed to use a grand total of 1.87 g. This was after a 30 second load, a squeeze of the protolather into my lathering bowl, and then back for another 30 second load. I got an awesome lather, so maybe 2g is the benchmark. I guess that reduces my stockpile down to 3 years instead of 6. Good news.

With my 30 mm silvertip brush and Stubble Trouble's Up and Adam I managed to use a grand total of 1.87 g. This was after a 30 second load, a squeeze of the protolather into my lathering bowl, and then back for another 30 second load. I got an awesome lather, so maybe 2g is the benchmark. I guess that reduces my stockpile down to 3 years instead of 6. Good news.
Am I the only one that’s seeing the spreadsheet potential here?!

Just measured out 4g for tomorrow’s shave and I felt like that was being tight. I’m afraid I’m with @UKSteve on this one.
You’d have to be up around 5 or 6g/shave @alfredus ? Or is that like asking ‘what’s the population of Lightning Ridge?’

Less than 1 gram? I have made several measurements of weights before and after, and for the first base of APR was on the range of around 2 grams per shave. You cannot properly shave with less than 20 grams :ROFLMAO:

FTFY - now reflecting the @todras and @SchoolForAnts recommended and @alfredus endorsed minimum soap load.

Hmmm, reading this thread I'm now thinking I have to take the scales and my laptop with spreadsheet into the bathroom. With the camera, lighting and props for the SOTD photos it is getting a little crowded in there ...

actually I move on the range of APR in 2.7, I cannot image a shave whit less that 2 grams.... I am bloody broke, but well enough to use properly a soap and that means some grams n order yo make proper lather.......

Np matter, of course you can name a whatever brush etc.... but at the nd of the day, you cannot properly load a 30 mm badger brush with a grand total of 1.87 (well, you can do it, but it wont be good), with this brush you are aiming at least 3 grams.... Follow @alfredus , he knows how to load properly a brush!!

FTFY - now reflecting the @todras and @SchoolForAnts recommended and @alfredus endorsed minimum soap load.

Hmmm, reading this thread I'm now thinking I have to take the scales and my laptop with spreadsheet into the bathroom. With the camera, lighting and props for the SOTD photos it is getting a little crowded in there ...

why not? I've done it for a long while, and thatks for tht, now I am using more soap each shave!. I have alredy run some boostraps on my numbers, try to do this shith on a spreadsheet !! :)

Is it likely that the cooler temperatures cause the soap molecules to contract and lose neutrons that result in less mass? Should this test be done at all tones of the year and called in to Dr Karl on Triple J’s science hour???

In all seriousness if a few of you can take a photo of your brush and/or puck after loading and before applying to your face or bowl, that might be helpful for some here to understand how it should look when loaded to the hilt?

At last, a glimpse of the truth, several of us may need a support group...... Oh, that's the meet up right?

Can I assume then that by and large a tub of soap will only last you 25 shaves?

I stopped looking at it too closely, but I believe I once went through a puck of Mystic Water in 19 shaves ;)

I stopped looking at it too closely, but I believe I once went through a puck of Mystic Water in 19 shaves ;)
:LOL: I thought I had read that you had demolished a tub in a month....less than three weeks, that’s fantastic, awe inspiring.:)(y) Makes me more prepared to approach my soaps without fear or trepidation, to use them unscrupulously in the name of quality shaves..........onwards.