26mm or 28mm Manchurian Badger

Pbgoose

I'm about to order a TF Custom Badger and at the moment deciding between 26 or 28mm Manchurian. Given that my favourite brushes at the moment are probably my Omega 21762 Italian Flag Boar and my Semogue 1305 boar and they have plenty of backbone, any suggestions what might be a good way to go?

I find my 26mm fan P&C Platypus feels bigger than my Omega 48 boar, which is the same size as your Italian Flag Omega I believe, just with thicker bristle and a lower rent handle. This is mainly due to the splay of the "weaker" badger hair compared to boar bristle.

Hard to compare the two otherwise really. I love my Omega 48 and find it's the perfect size and backbone for me. I think 26mm is an ideal size in badger despite the lather hog tendencies. Backbone is completely dependent on loft / shape though. Get the lower loft if you want backbone but you will have to do more work to make a lather without the loft available to do the work for you - it's all a compromise and I find my Platypus loft a good compromise on that front, for a badger brush.

Personally, my frugality couldn't cope with a badger any bigger than 26mm - there is only so much soap I'm prepared to flush down the sink! I'm looking to go up to 30mm in synth though...

BTW my Platypus could be for sale if you're interested - that would allow me to get a couple of other brushes I have my eye on (including an Italian Flag!)...

@Pbgoose If you have an average size face not as BIG as @alfredus cheesy head than the 26mm size knot is the perfect sweet spot for your face, I wouldn't go near a 28mm because is pretty close to a 30mm size.

Trouble is you need to pay extra attention when the knot bloom bigger than the 26mm wide knot, because the bloom could expand around 30mm wider or even a bit more is something you need to keep in mind.

Which knot shape are you going to choose either bulb or fan?

FYI picture below of the bloom as a guide

PTl8ois.jpg
QjwgxPH.jpg

Last edited:
@Pbgoose If you have an average size face not as BIG as @alfredus cheesy head than the 26mm size knot is the perfect sweet spot for your face, I wouldn't go near a 28mm because is pretty close to a 30mm size.
Lol... sorry mate but going to call you capt. obvious from now on. 28mm is close to 30 lol. That’s like saying 26 is close to 24.

In respect to the original question, it’s personal preference mate. If you’re using Tony’s knots, they’re pretty dense and you’ll find 26mm does have a good face coverage. Get him to send you a pic of his personal brush with the knot set and bloomed. If the bloom looks too big, get him to set it a couple mm deeper and choke the socket width a little.

OK on a serious note: you won't know which one you really like better, until you try both (or all 100)...that's the unfortunate truth and no matter how hard you try to deduce it, it will still be a matter of personal experience.

What I can say for certain: badger and boars are just very very different knots and any comparisons between them is an almost futile exercise. The backbone in badgers is derived differently. The hair is much finer and usually the knots are much denser.

I personally would advise an average (as in liked by most) loft in hybrid. So (out of the rim): 26/50-52 depending on the density/thickness of the knot. Try it for a while and then decide what you would like to improve and then YES buy your next one :D

Tony definitely has now some experience with his knots and I'm sure he can advice and so can @Korbz as he has tried a few of them.

I'll be honest with you: I have a hard time saying, which knots I like and why. I have brushes, that on paper I should hate - yet I adore them...you just have to try and enjoy the experience.

@RazorPlay @SpeedyPC @Korbz @alfredus
Thanks guys. All good info. Still not sure which I'll run with but you've given me good points to consider and to rumble around.
Not worried about soap frugality. Running out of soap doesn't seem to be a problem.:) I think you're right Korbz about Tony choking them down, I bought a brush off him for my Father In Law and asked for a bit of back bone and whilst I never used that brush it certainly felt like it had significantly more backbone than my Shavemac. Tony suggested the smaller knot is easier to target placement of lather on your face as opposed to large knot that is half the size of your face. I just wondered if larger knot gave more support so it wouldn't splay so much especially if it was choked down. Which is a bit what you were referring to I think SpeedyPC except opposite view (higher loft, large splay) .
OK, now I'm thinking 26mm bulb but I'll be guided by Tony for loft height. Yeah, I think you're right Alfredus, this is probably TF Custom No:1.:)

Pfft amateurs...
And if you ask, you can get bigger than the largest advertised Silvertip knot in that auction :)