A Return to DE Shaving

thw

Hello everyone. Another newbie here. I finally rebelled against the outrageous cost of multi-blade cartridges and recently obtained the Edwin Jagger DE89L. My intent had been to save some money on blades, but, alas, within ten days I had obtained a brand-new Merkur Progress along with a sample pack of blades. Both are excellent razors, but I am finding the shorter handle of the Progress more to my liking. It is currently loaded with the Gillette Silver Blue blades and is on its fourth shave on the first blade tried, using shaving soap and a generic brush).

What ever became of my plan to save a bit on blades? Now I already have my eye on acquiring the highly recommended Gillette Fat Boy. What to do?

What ever became of my plan to save a bit on blades? Now I already have my eye on acquiring the highly recommended Gillette Fat Boy. What to do?

You have not spent money mate, you have made an INVESTMENT!

The EJ DE89L, Progress and Fatboy are tools which will last a lifetime. Go on, check out the life tables here, work out how long you are expected to live and amortise the cost of these over that period. See, they really don't cost much at all! Factor in that they can be passed on to children and you are creating a legacy - not spending money on a consumable.

Now we have that out of the way, how can we helkp you invest in other tools, such as brushes, or yourself through quality soaps, creams and aftershaves :)

Welcome to P&C too (y)

welcome to "saving money" hahahaha ive spent more on this hobby in the past 3 months then i have in 3 years of dry shaving haha

Welcome @thw - great to have you here (y)

Thanks to all for the comments. The thread is entitled "A Return to DE Shaving" for a good reason. I began shaving in the early 1960's with a new Gillette Super Speed with the blue tip and with the original, and very sharp, carbon steel Blue Blades. When the Gillette Slim Adjustable came out, I bought two of them and alternated them for about fifteen years of DE shaving. Those Gillette Slim Adjustable razors, brand new when I bought them for $1.95 each, were bullet proof and as good as new after a decade and a half of use. Somewhere during this period, I also began using what were then the new Gillette stainless steel blades. I stopped using these razors when de blades became scarce in local retail stores, and the two Slim Adjustables, as well as the Super Speed, disappeared years ago. Briefly, I used the Schick Injector and then was drawn into the great multi-blade race, finally rebelling with the cost of fusion cartridges (and a lousy, mindless shave).

I had only used a Gillette TTO razor and the recently acquired Edwin Jagger DE89L and Merkur Progress are a unique experience, maybe not as convenient as the TTO's but they are solid razors. So, I am thinking about getting either the Gillette Fat Boy or the Slim Adjustable. I am very familiar with the Slim Adjustable and know it is an excellent razor, but I find I now like the shorter handle of the Murkur Progress. However, a Fat Boy in good condition is quite a bit more expensive than a comparable Slim. Any recommendations on which way to go, or where to find a good one of either?

Last edited:
The Slim is a great razor in every way. The Fat Boy is also nice to use but the slightly longer handle on the Slim just suits me better.