A Review Of The Rockwell Model T

nav1

Active Member from afar
2018 Sabbatical Fail
I received my highly anticipated Rockwell Model T (“MT”) a couple of weeks ago.

The packaging and presentation is lovely! It's a really nice touch to send the razor in the very nice presentation box. The razor comes with 5 Rockwell blades and a really nice leather sheath to for travel.
I am one of those people that have a preference for minimal wastage so even a protective cardboard box would be perfectly okay but the Model T box is definitely really nice!

This razor is absolutely gorgeous! I hope my photos do it justice. The gunmetal finish is flawless and looks great!

I will admit I prefer a matte finish (on everything!) but this is just beautiful and much nicer than I had expected.

Here are pics of my new Model T:

MT1.jpg

MT2.jpg

MT3.jpg

MT4.jpg

MT5.jpg

MT6.jpg

MT7.jpg

MT8.jpg

Let’s firstly discuss the build quality, as this seems to be a major discussion point in recent reviews of the Model T…

As mentioned, the plating/finish is flawless. I can’t find a single blemish or plating bubble or rough spots anywhere on the razor.

The TTO doors open and close perfectly. No lazy door and no it’s a very smooth action. The doors line up perfectly when closed.

The adjustment mechanism is very smooth and not too loose so a gentle wipe with a towel after the shave doesn’t cause the adjustment ring to move. This is one irritation I have with the Merkur Progress, where even a light touch causes the adjuster knob to move so I always need to be mindful and check the setting before I begin my shave the following day.

Now let’s move on the shave performance…

First thing I'll mention is the face feel of the razor is very similar to the Gillette adjustable razors! No doubt about it in my mind.

However, the MT is much more efficient! The Slim, black beauty etc even on 9 were borderline capable of giving me a good shave and at this setting, they were not very comfortable.

The MT set of 4 (of 6) was very efficient. I got BBS after my usual 3.5 pass shave but it was comfortable too. No irritation like I always seemed to get from the vintage Gillette razors.

Even though my stubble would probably do well with a higher setting, I feel my skin will not allow going beyond setting 4.
I know the MT and 6S are totally different razors but if I compare them, the 6S on R6 is still my favourite razor due to the cutting angle (it bends the blade more). Plus the 6S with its matte finish is, for me, the nicest looking stainless steel razor on the market!

The MT is designed to replicate the Gillette adjustable head, which it does extremely well! The face feel is essentially the same but the MT does give higher efficiency. I did attempt to go beyond setting 4 and whilst the extra efficiency was good, my skin didn't cope with it so it seems #4 is the best balance of comfort/efficiency for me.

I did take it down to 3 just to see how it felt and whilst the smoothness increased, the efficiency, as expected, reduced to the point where I didn’t get a BBS.

The razor is also extremely well balanced with the balance point about 1cm below the adjuster. I find this to be the perfect place to hold the razor.

It's a smooth shaver and feels good on the skin. The efficiency range is excellent as I have a tough beard and use the 6 plate on the 6S and 6C and D plate on the Karve.

I could easily go higher for efficiency but my skin won't allow it.

So #4 on the Rockwell is basically equal to R6 for efficiency. Leaving #5 and #6 for those whose skin can take the extra efficiency.

After the fairly long wait, I’m glad to have this beautiful razor in my den!

I already had the Rockwell 6S and 6C, both of which I love! The Model T is a fantastic addition from Rockwell and I would say, Rockwell is my favourite razor company!!

@nav1 great and thorough review. Wonderful looking razor and to see a positive & comparative review. Hope it brings a lifetime of service. (y)(y)

Thanks, good to hear a positive review. I'm hoping one day my brushed chrome MT will turn up!

Hopefully not too much longer :)

@nav1 great and thorough review. Wonderful looking razor and to see a positive & comparative review. Hope it brings a lifetime of service. (y)(y)

Thank you!!
So far it has been great.
If there's any durability issues, I'll update on this thread.

Rockwell are sending me a new set of doors after one of mine broke

That sucks but from my past experience, Rockwell's customer service is fantastic!