A style bridge too far? Keeping your shirt tucked in ...

Mark1966

Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
OK, I confess that there are some things that this guy says I've found helpful and, largely confirming.

I also know that this issue seems to be a big problem - if you poke around on men's style forums that have a large US content base. Particularly in relation to military and law enforcement types but really - http://www.realmenrealstyle.com/keep-shirt-tucked-in/

'Has this ever happened to you?

You’re having a friendly conversation with a gentleman…

Then out of nowhere…

He starts tucking in his shirt.

I don’t mean fixing a fly away shirt tail.

I mean it looks like he’s adjusting his “junk” right in front of you. '

Actually - NO! Not in my living memory!

Just in case you are wondering -

13847144734_edbe521b25_o.jpg

Or for those more 'armed' than most -

tuck-military-style-detailed-overview-chart.jpg

But these?
image2.jpg

What do you think guys? Definitely a bridge too far for me ...

If you are interested though - available here: http://www.kkandjay.com/ (and made in the US of A!)

Too far - definitely! Something is wrong if you can't keep a shirt tucked in!

Thing is, with the "shirt out" trend these days the tails are shorter, and cut square (not longer at the back) so they look right worn out. Trouble is if you try and wear those tucked in they tend to come out easily. I personally struggle with the shirt out crowd and feel like a scruff. Growing up in a private boys school, going to military cadets and working in a professional office will do that to you. What's more, it hides my awesome belt! I do go with shirt out - but only ever with a shirt tailored for it. When tucked in, again, I try an stay with those tailored for it.

I am 194cm and 130kg with a long body. I struggle to get shirts that cover my waistband, let alone stay tucked in if I have to adjust my glasses.

James

I have a mate who is 6' 10" (you are about 6' 4" ? - sorry I still work in the old language when it comes to height) and he has the same trouble - has to get tailor made for the length.

I'm 6' 2" and about 84kg and in some casual shirt brands an 'XL' billows around my body but is too short in the sleeves and body, an 'XXL' would be a tent on me but long enough. So I do have issues with coming untucked in some casual gear. Other brands are less of a problem, an 'XL' might be a slimmer cut/longer in the body and sleeves.

For work I find that the TM Lewin or Charles Trywhitt work for me proportion wise.

Maybe poke around to see if a particular brand's sizes work better for you and your body shape?

I am 194cm and 130kg with a long body. I struggle to get shirts that cover my waistband, let alone stay tucked in if I have to adjust my glasses.

James

So something is wrong. Your shirts don't fit you. Presumably they are off the shelf and you have a body shape that is not "standard" meaning a tailored shirt is the way to fix it.

The answer to your problem is at hand! Simply get 2 pieces of elastic and attach to the front and back of your shirt. When you put the shirt on, step into the elastic first and make sure it is nice and snug. Put the shirt on as normal and the elastic will keep everything in place.

One word of warning - if your stitching is not secure then you could face a sudden "Twanging" sound at an inappropriate moment followed by you suddenly bending over (or straightening up) depending on whether the front or back has let go. Strangled phrases such as "Holy snappin assholes that stings " are probably not appropriate to your meetings so please ensure all elastic is snugly sewn.

Hope this helps