Advice Sought: Cleaning & Polishing Gillette Slim Adjustable

Hi @wayne646 ,
Do you use simple green in the sonic cleaner?

I use a washing liquid in the ultra sonic but would NOT use an ultra-sonic cleaner on a razor with painted numbers - they will be removed :)

Last edited:
Soak
1. Plastic Container
2. Hot Water
3. Dish Soap (Palmolive, Dawn etc etc)

Clean
4. Tooth Brush
5. Pipe Cleaner
6. Needle (Optional. I use one to clean tiny areas on handles)

Polish
7. Cleaning Rag
8. Mother Metal Polish (My personal choice)

Sanitize
Isopropyl alcohol 70% (I use Barbicide but Isopropyl way easier to find.)

Thank you. That is real helpful summary.

@Maxime D. has outlined a similar routine to mine except I would use a toothpick rather than a needle and toothpaste (a mild polish) rather than polish. Whatever you do go gently!

Thanks. I did wonder about the needle. I have also heard that toothpaste is a good method of cleaning the brushes.

This would be my method,

Thanks again. What brand and size of ultrasonic cleaner unit do you recommend?.

And what is simple green? I've never heard of it. I presume it's an aussie thing?

I use a washing liquid in the ultra sonic but would NOT use an ultra-sonic cleaner on a razor with painted numbers - they will be removed

Wow! Nice to know. Thank you :)

Also, it looks like @FatBoy58 is no longer a member on here. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm very new. Is there anyone else on here that does the same strip and clean that he was doing?

Also, it looks like @FatBoy58 is no longer a member on here. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm very new. Is there anyone else on here that does the same strip and clean that he was doing?

He goes by the handle @58RW now - not sure that he is still doing the strip and clean though.

He doesn't disassemble the vintage Gillette adjustable or mechanical repair adjustable, ONLY in US they can disassemble the vintage Gillette adjustable and fully repair mechanically adjustable

Dave does a wonder replating job

Thanks for the responses. But I'm still a bit confused. If he doesn't pull them apart and clean them is the plating done on top of the old junk gunk and without the razor being pulled apart? I would have thought that to replate the razor has to be stripped down into its seperate component parts and cleaned first?

or he does pull them apart and clean, but only if the razor is then to be replated?

Thanks for the responses. But I'm still a bit confused. If he doesn't pull them apart and clean them is the plating done on top of the old junk gunk and without the razor being pulled apart? I would have thought that to replate the razor has to be stripped down into its seperate component parts and cleaned first?

or he does pull them apart and clean, but only if the razor is then to be replated?

I didn't have an adjustable done - don't know what he does. Send him an email and ask ?

He did my fatboy.
I have had razors played whole or disassembled.
Have a look at how plating works and it becomes evident that it’s pretty irrelevant.