Aggressiveness vs blade noise / feedback?

Dman69

Hi all, this may have been discussed elsewhere, if so please point me in the direction of..
Just wondering if increased blade noise feed back indicates greater aggressiveness of shave?

I started my DE journey with a Merkur 33C closed head, with Astra blades a bit over a month ago. I got hold of a pearl closed comb head last week. (Using both heads with a Rockwell 6S handle I was gifted by friend of friend). I'm getting a really close shave out of it using astra blades. Thing is , I'm noting what i think is blade chatter/ feedback when I go xtg/atg, plus a few more weepers along the way. Is this normal, or more about how I'm holding the razor angle wise?

Firstly blade noise or audio feedback is not an indicator of aggressiveness. Rather that the design of the razor head and how it holds the blade can give audio feedback which for most is a desired want. A very mild razor can give louder audio feedback than another more aggressive razor.
Depending on the razor more audio feedback can help determine the sweet spot or attack angle of the blade.

As for the weepers on the neck. There are many factors to consider. Blade angle, direction of hair growth, tauntness of your skin, lather control, pressure, blade choice and razor choice.

It has taken me a year to work out the pressure required per area of my face, angle of attack and what not to do.
My face is very different to my neck. Can easily get a bbs face but my neck I'm afraid is a DFS area. If I try for BBS on the neck I generally get nicks and a pressure rash. I rarely go ATG on my neck except under the jaw line on the left and right only.

Take your time, try different things and don't give up.

Last edited:
Thanks Rusty, appreciate the advice. I'm fascinated by the difference between the Merkur and the Pearl.. As you say, practice makes perfect. I'm finding my chin, and around the sides of my mouth to be the fun bits right now. I'll get there.

..... My face is very different to my neck. Can easily get a bbs face but my neck I'm afraid is a DFS area. If I try for BBS on the neck I generally get nicks and a pressure rash. I rarely go ATG on my neck except under the jaw line on the left and right only.....

EXACTLY the same for me. Took me a while to perfect AOA, etc; and evaluate and collect my set-up; Schick Krona, Rapira Platinum Plus blades, Wilkinson Blue Shave Stick and Simpsons Colonel X2L Best Badger. BTW, I thoroughly recommend Wilkinson Blue and believe it outperforms many expensive soaps.

EXACTLY the same for me. Took me a while to perfect AOA, etc; and evaluate and collect my set-up; Schick Krona, Rapira Platinum Plus blades, Wilkinson Blue Shave Stick and Simpsons Colonel X2L Best Badger. BTW, I thoroughly recommend Wilkinson Blue and believe it outperforms many expensive soaps.
I’ll have to try some

Thanks bud, I’ll add some to the next order.

Hi all, this may have been discussed elsewhere, if so please point me in the direction of..
Just wondering if increased blade noise feed back indicates greater aggressiveness of shave?

I started my DE journey with a Merkur 33C closed head, with Astra blades a bit over a month ago. I got hold of a pearl closed comb head last week. (Using both heads with a Rockwell 6S handle I was gifted by friend of friend). I'm getting a really close shave out of it using astra blades. Thing is , I'm noting what i think is blade chatter/ feedback when I go xtg/atg, plus a few more weepers along the way. Is this normal, or more about how I'm holding the razor angle wise?
Some razors at just noisy buggers,
My futur clone is very loud but but no more aggressive than anything else, I havnt used either of these heads so can’t comment on them particularly but I can say the blades are a good mid range in my opinion.

What other blades have you tried?

Just the Astra greens for now. Thinking being to compare the difference between the two razor heads without too many variables... will have alook at other blades a bit down the track, i want to focus on technique first...
Good plan, once you want to try a few more drop me a line and I’ll send you some

Thank you! I did get a sample pack of blades from Mensbiz when i started DE shaving- so I have had a go with the Merkurs,Gillette 7 o'clocks and the Feathers. Couldn't bear to try the Derbys.. :whistle:
Try to go into any blade with an open mind, I love my Russians (silver blues, rubies, permasharp) as well as feathers but the humble derby goes okay, I once did a month on a single derby and it held up fine.