Alpha Claymore Evolution road trip: anyone interested?

You have plenty of time to change your mind :p
giphy.gif

Well the Claymore Evolution arrived yesterday with a large number of blades too, thanks @Gargravarr! Definitely a looker for sure, though the windrose handle isn't for me, so I will give it a crack with a different handle and see if that helps.

First shave down and while it was good, it's wasn't better than the Hawk V3 standard plate. I'll keep experimenting with different blades and angles.
A few things rocked up yesterday, @Gargravarr's travelling Claymore Evolution and this Noir Et Vanille set from a mate, were among them
Figured why not give both a go!

First impression of the Claymore is that it is a bit more aggressive (Blade feel maybe?) than the Hawk V3, but gave a very close shave with one of my Schick Proline blades that had a few uses on it. I will give it a few more shaves with different new blades to figure out if I like it or not.

Noir Et Vanille is an odd scent, which I really like, and the splash has a slight fruitiness to it the soap doesn't, which makes me love it more.

Well the Claymore Evolution arrived yesterday with a large number of blades too, thanks @Gargravarr! Definitely a looker for sure, though the windrose handle isn't for me, so I will give it a crack with a different handle and see if that helps.

First shave down and while it was good, it's wasn't better than the Hawk V3 standard plate. I'll keep experimenting with different blades and angles.

I have the same soap/splash and love it.. scent reminds me of black tea

SB, but from what I remember of my OC head, even that was a smoother shave than the claymore. But, as always, YMMV!

hmmm.. I enjoyed the hawk OC efficiency but didn't find it smooth myself, not ruff either but more tuggy. If that is the case I might opt out of it, but will wait for @thatguy reviews to be sure

on the topic of hawk SB v OC, how did you find the two compare?

In fairness, it has been a long time since I used the OC Hawk head and I may be remembering it too fondly. I did get rid of it afterall. I'd highly recommend trying it out, even if it turns out to not be fore you, because my experience, and everyone elses, will probably vary to some extent. For instance, I really enjoy the R89 and could daily it, but a Gillette tech isn't overly comfortable for me.

The OC was just that little bit more aggressive, both were exceptionally efficient, but the OC had the edge (pun intended) with a few days growth. The SB is just more usable for regular use.

I liked the aggressiveness of the OC Hawk, but the teeth were just too pointy for my poor cranium. (Much sharper than those of the JAWS.) So I exchanged it for the standard SB plate, which (for me) was a bit underpowered with any blade other than the Super. I find the Claymore works fine with Prolines and PINKs, and is perhaps just a little too efficient with the Super. I never got around to trying the Feather Pro, as I had pretty much given up on them. Maybe I should give them another try.

The thing is, I don't see the Claymore as that aggressive a razor. My yardstick is the R41 though, so perceptions may differ...

The thing is, I don't see the Claymore as that aggressive a razor. My yardstick is the R41 though, so perceptions may differ...
.... and of course YMMV because I found the Hawk v3 OC to be the perfect blend of smooth efficiency and just a tad under R41 aggressiveness and the tines not as bad as the JAWS but still too aggro for a daily driver and of course I dont shave the cranium

I dont find the Claymore aggressive and once fitted with a nice handle it was in that smooth efficient zone

Last edited:
SB, but from what I remember of my OC head, even that was a smoother shave than the claymore. But, as always, YMMV!
Might be worth trying one of the Feathers as Steve normally recommends them for his razors...?

Yeah I hard luck with razors. I wanted to love the Homelike Colibri. Even with a small blade gap, I still managed to get nothing but cuts and irritations. Whereas a mate with the same razor who can't do aggressive razors loved it 🤷‍♂️ if the Claymore is considered better than the hawk but not as good as the vector, I can't figure out if I will over or hate it

Yeah I hard luck with razors. I wanted to love the Homelike Colibri. Even with a small blade gap, still managed to get nothing but cuts and irritations. Whereas a mate with the same razor who can't do aggressive razors loved it 🤷‍♂️ if the Claymore is considered better than the hawk but not as good as the vector, I can't figure out if I will over or hate it
Sounds like you might like the Sabre then... ;)

I liked the aggressiveness of the OC Hawk, but the teeth were just too pointy for my poor cranium. (Much sharper than those of the JAWS.) So I exchanged it for the standard SB plate, which (for me) was a bit underpowered with any blade other than the Super. I find the Claymore works fine with Prolines and PINKs, and is perhaps just a little too efficient with the Super. I never got around to trying the Feather Pro, as I had pretty much given up on them. Maybe I should give them another try.

the R41 is certainly efficient but if used correctly with a kick ass lather and fresh blade I wouldnt class it as aggressive. Then again depends on the definition of aggressive, I would term it as something that leaves your face worse for wear.

Considering your comparison to R41 i'll give it a go when my turn comes up (y)

...the R41 is certainly efficient but if used correctly with a kick ass lather and fresh blade I wouldnt class it as aggressive....
Ditto, I used to use the R41 as my daily driver, but carefully. The head shave lets you know very quickly if you've overdone it. I simply use it as my yardstick to indicate that I wouldn't want my razors to be any more pugnacious.

Ditto, I used to use the R41 as my daily driver, but carefully. The head shave lets you know very quickly if you've overdone it. I simply use it as my yardstick to indicate that I wouldn't want my razors to be any more pugnacious.

Totally agree I certainly wouldn't want more efficiency than that myself, don't need it. The WR2 is a notch under the R41 but so much smooth