Amusing Facebook Antics

todras

est Français pour après-rasage
In Memoriam
2019 Charity Auction Winner
Menth Dealer
So I joined Facebook some months ago, mainly as a vehicle for AP Reserve rather than out of any want, I had ignored the platform for a number of years, despite being an inter-net (and prior BBS) user since the 1200/1200 and 56K days.I had read about the platform of course, it really is hard not to even if you pay no attention to tech news and even the daily newspapers, social media is definitely ubiquitous.

Subsequently, I asked about and joined a number of wet-shaving related facebook groups, you tick a join box and they let you in, or ask you a series of mind-numbing questions is the gist of it for anyone not a FB user, without digressing to much I joined several, along with some specialty perfume groups and that was that. You post SOTD's to them, shoot the shit, it's like a forum without the chronological posts where as it's free, you are essentially the product, the model is social capital for FB advertisers.

So all was going well, I met a bunch of interesting people, P&C users, buds from the US and far yonder and I found the cultural differences and exchanges really interesting and rewarding.

Then I joined a certain and very particular UK wet-shaving group, and oh boy are these guys novel in their approach. I have read a lot of legislation in my day, but these chaps have taken it to a whole new level of whiskey tango foxtrot aside from their drafting leaving a lot to be desired...

While most FB groups have rules that are in the common interest, and that serve to ensure the stated aims of the group are kept (quite reasonably too I might add) this certain group seems to have really embraced the notion of regulation, I would suggest a little to eagerly...

I make and use my own products, well mainly because I make them and use them which I would think really is not that surprising or unreasonable. Generally 2 or 3 times a week, you will see an AP Reserve shave from me...no I am not kidding, I do this :D

So it started with a request from one of the several admins of this group that I provide a discount code for members of the group, which I considered for a time as possibly reasonable, and asked for a little more information prior to waving the discount wand around on potentially expensive UK only postal orders. The response I received was that it is group policy that producers offer a discount to members. I thought someone was taking the piss really, I join a group and it is mandatory that I offer a discount prior to posting...I don't think so.

So I declined and went on my merry way, posted my SOTD's there a few times a week and thought nothing more of the coercive discount code approach (an offer it would transpire, I could not refuse) and thats when the messages started.

I was 'accused' - and I say this with a big grin, of subverting the rules of the group by posting images of my own products in my SOTD posts. I thought to myself, 'they are accusing me of shaving with products I make' which in itself is pretty bloody funny in my book, and is quite obviously circular. Of course I shave with them you pillocks, I make them so I can use them.

Long story short, several admins 'noted' my 'hacking' of the rules and insisted I provide discount codes, and would not entertain any judgment or reason otherwise.So I told them to sod off and have now left the group. I think there is a point where the over policing borders on outright insanity, in a most British way.

And that dear members, is my UK Wetshavers FB Story!

Sadly, this is what Bookface is helping to make the world into... a bunch of entitled, self centred self gratifiers.

I bailed on Facebook in 2009, after joining in 2009. None of the people I knew, I would count as friends today. It was more a catalogue of people I went to school with, and I hated them then. I don't miss it.

You should have given them a voucher which bumps the price up, as a parting gift. See if anyone of them is dumb enough to use it. I'd point & laugh.

Sadly, this is what Bookface is helping to make the world into... a bunch of entitled, self centred self gratifiers.

I bailed on Facebook in 2009, after joining in 2009. None of the people I knew, I would count as friends today. It was more a catalogue of people I went to school with, and I hated them then. I don't miss it.

You should have given them a voucher which bumps the price up, as a parting gift. See if anyone of them is dumb enough to use it. I'd point & laugh.
I agree with everything you said... Except calling it "Bookface". Why? Because there is a nice book shop walking distance from my house that is called "Bookface".
I'm sure it's probably a play on Facebook and a reference to a quote from Bernard in 'Black Books'. At any rate, I like it. :LOL:

I was a Facebook early adopter. But I left about a year ago because it was getting so toxic. I wish I had left earlier.

A lot of these US forums take themselves very seriously - I thought the Brits might be a little more reasonable. :arghh:

Some interesting points made here and demonstrates just how lucky we are with this site.
I just hope that at minimum, tolerance for the colloquial vernacular synonymous with us Aussies is never eradicated from here!
As we become more and more Americanised, we really do need to do what we can to embrace our ocker culture, or if you will, inner bogans and ensure that this integral trait that ensured the survival of this country doesn't die off!

Language warning - Edited by a moderator :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am one of the administrators of a birdwatching group on FB (~15.000 members) and while there are some certain rules to be enforced and must be complied by anyone (we have the policy of having to manually approved any picture or post from anyone until we are sure that the person is following the rules), but we do not do anything with companies. As long as don't publish commercials 100 times per day, and their activity is limited for that, of course... but not because we don't want companies, is because it would be annoying

It is ridiculously weird what happened to you... where is the common sense nowadays?

Some interesting points made here and demonstrates just how lucky we are with this site.
I just hope that at minimum, tolerance for the colloquial vernacular synonymous with us Aussies is never eradicated from here!
As we become more and more Americanised, we really do need to do what we can to embrace our ocker culture, or if you will, inner bogans and ensure that this integral trait that ensured the survival of this country doesn't die off!

Language warning - Edited by a moderator :)

Hi anonymous moderator,
To raise awareness, what language within above is warning worthy?

Yours :)

[Just having some fun mate ;)]

Last edited by a moderator: