An amusing thought

todras

est Français pour après-rasage
In Memoriam
2019 Charity Auction Winner
Menth Dealer
I was reading a minor stoush the other day on a trading forum in relation to a member buying an item from a BST and the seller being 'slow' (48hrs) to send it. The argument had the expected back and forth and ended as you can well imagine. It was a couple of lot traders cackling over a $180 USD buy with Bufflehead, Passiflora and the usual kind of stuff you see. Anyway, fast sends and Americans go hand in glove, it is expected you post a USPS tracking number within 24hrs or it's poor form as the 'trigger has been pulled'. Anything over 48hrs and you are likely to be called a terrorist or get doxed.

So I thought about the BST forum and speeds of sending here on P&C and how there is never any complaints (that I have heard of ) in relation to "sending speed" of articles...certainly people don't lose their shit and have an e-tantrum.

I thought about this and had to bloody well chuckle when I realised that because no matter what, or how fast or in what manner an article is sent, Australia Post is likely to completely bugger it up 9 times out of 10 with delivery taking anything from 24hrs to 17 days and that we are so used to the dysfunctional, random and outright poor performance of AusPost we have learned helplessness where we buy something.

....we get a tracking number possibly and well then, we just sit back, hope and pray with our fingers crossed that whatever it is, turns up at sometime in the conceivable future before we have forgotten we even ordered it and that it was being sent :D

I was reading a minor stoush the other day on a trading forum in relation to a member buying an item from a BST and the seller being 'slow' (48hrs) to send it. The argument had the expected back and forth and ended as you can well imagine. It was a couple of lot traders cackling over a $180 USD buy with Bufflehead, Passiflora and the usual kind of stuff you see. Anyway, fast sends and Americans go hand in glove, it is expected you post a USPS tracking number within 24hrs or it's poor form as the 'trigger has been pulled'. Anything over 48hrs and you are likely to be called a terrorist or get doxed.

So I thought about the BST forum and speeds of sending here on P&C and how there is never any complaints (that I have heard of ) in relation to "sending speed" of articles...certainly people don't lose their shit and have an e-tantrum.

I thought about this and had to bloody well chuckle when I realised that because no matter what, or how fast or in what manner an article is sent, Australia Post is likely to completely bugger it up 9 times out of 10 with delivery taking anything from 24hrs to 17 days and that we are so used to the dysfunctional, random and outright poor performance of AusPost we have learned helplessness where we buy something.

....we get a tracking number possibly and well then, we just sit back, hope and pray with our fingers crossed that whatever it is, turns up at sometime in the conceivable future before we have forgotten we even ordered it and that it was being sent :D
It is amazing isn't it, I personally take everything I have for sale with me to work and I'm afforded the freedom to wonder off and do "side missions" as they have become known so I personally generally post within the half hour but really I think a business day or two is reasonable without communication but if it's gonna be longer people just need to communicate

I think the key is definitely communication.

In the US (most probably already know this) you do not have to go to the PO to send domestic parcels and there are PO boxes everywhere. I think that is where the expectancy to get everything out within hours comes from.

Just remember too that in the US context both the buyer and seller undoubtedly have guns ... :eek:

Just remember too that in the US context both the buyer and seller undoubtedly have guns ... :eek:
Gun running preachers per chance?

Many of the SOTD's I see in certain FB groups feature (presumably) the owners current and favourite 'Den' Pistol, as opposed to their Bedroom, Kitchen, Living Room or Dining room pistols... we are talking locked and loaded often heavy calibre custom semi-automatics, all entirely legal and culturally normal I must say. I thought it was bloodyodd the first time I saw it and it certainly does not get any less strange with repeated exposure, but there you are I guess.

Just to be boring and BOT I must be the only person who has never had a problem with Aus Post. Between herself and myself we average a delivery per week with 4 to 5 per week in December. Never lost never delayed.

Clearly, Mr. & Mrs. Thomas throw a massive monthly street party complete with unlimited free booze, prawns and oysters for all local posties, couriers and mail sorters!

Just to be boring and BOT I must be the only person who has never had a problem with Aus Post. Between herself and myself we average a delivery per week with 4 to 5 per week in December. Never lost never delayed.

Then you have never had a parcel via Auspost Chullora. Once you see this on your tracking you can kiss the ETA goodbye. At most I had a parcel sitting there for a month (Xmas time). On average a fortnight.

THAT'S FOR SURE! I'm pretty sure the deep space "Black Hole" theory originated in the Chullora, Greenacre & Yagoona area!
Leave Greenacre and the land of the bong and schooner out of it, it's just Chullora and they're filling a WWII bunker is my latest working theory.

Then you have never had a parcel via Auspost Chullora. Once you see this on your tracking you can kiss the ETA goodbye. At most I had a parcel sitting there for a month (Xmas time). On average a fortnight.
We ordered a birthday gift for our daughter a couple of weeks ago and were somewhat dismayed to see Alexandria, Chullora, Granville over a period of four days on the tracking. Took the best part of a week just to get it out of Sydney.
My parents used to get mail twice a day off the train from Sydney in Central NSW some decades ago. I guess that's called progress?