Another Melbournian

Ozwhisker

When I couldn't think of a present for my better-half to give me for Xmas, in desperation I said a DE set. It was the only thing I could think of. Until then I had been using a Braun electric which I found quick and convenient, although it wasn't the best choice for my skin and it was a boring chore. I thought I might occasionally use a DE razor. Wrong!

I was lucky enough to get a Muhle R89, and matching badger brush - but no blades. Not having used blades since last century - modesty forbids me saying how early last century - I was stunned to discover that I could not find DE blades in any supermarket. So I went online and took my first step to a DE addiction/compulsion disorder. I now have the R89, an Ikon 102, a Rockwell 6C (and a Ming Shi on the way).

I am too embarrassed to say how much time I have spent watching youtube shaving videos. Unfortunately, they only fed my disorder. I have multiple brands of blades, and multiple soaps:TOBS, Tabac, Pre De Provence, Caties Bubbles, Proraso, Speick, Nivea, Arko, Latha and St.James (with Barrister & Mann, Wholly Kaw, Haslinger, Stirling and Fine soaps on the way).

As well as the Muhle Badger, I have a Muhle synthetic, a Semogue 830 boar and a Vueling horsehair (with a Yaqi 28mm synthetic on the way).

I am really enjoying DE shaving. I have found it a rewarding challenge to improve my shaving and lathering technique. My skin is looking and feeling much better. It is still early days to find my ideal razor, blade and soap combo.

I can't draw on much experience or shaving wisdom at the moment but I will certainly post if I think I have anything helpful to say.

Welcome @Ozwhisker . I see you started out with the same kit as I did. I found shaving a bit of a chore but now turned it into a daily ritual I enjoy.
Don't fight it , just go with it. (y)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums @Ozwhisker

You should enjoy the Yaqi. I have one and it's fantastic for the price.

Post it up in the acquisition thread when it gets here, same with all them soaps. Keen to see what you got!

Welcome @Ozwhisker !

Sounds like an all too familiar story - but one WITH a happy ending, what was once a chore is now a joy :)

Hang around and look in the B/S/T here for some bargains and don't be afraid to ask a question - we have ALL been there ...

Welcome to P&C @Ozwhisker - great to have you here (y)

Welcome @Ozwhisker . You have lots of great stuff already. Any favourites yet or still too early?
Hi, at the moment choosing between my razors would almost be like choosing between my children. I can't go there, at least yet (razors that is). But then again, I don't have to choose. If I have a few days growth, my first thought is the Ikon. However I still have the 'L' plates on trying to get the right angle. The moustache area is a b*tch. For a BBS, I think of the Rockwell, starting at plate 3 or 4 and working down to plate 2 or 1. For a daily shave, the Muhle R89 and I are getting along very nicely.

The moustache area is a b*tch.
Hahaha, I agree with you on that. When I'm testing a blade I do sideburns first, then beard, then moustache. If a blade fails one I know it's not going to do the others. Most seem to fail on the moustache and seem to pull rather than cut for me.
Also I find going ATG on the moustache area is asking for trouble unless I'm using a sharp blade like a feather, but even then it's probably not worth it.

I don't see mention of blades. Have you tried a few different ones? If you haven't already, it's good to start with a sampler so you have some idea of what what works for you. Most people recommend saving feathers (considered to be the sharpest) for later after you've nailed technique to minimise weepers.