Another Timeless or an ATT?

Blackie

The guy from over the ditch
While I do enjoy my Timeless .68 OC shaves, there are days when I would like 'something' that shaves just a tad closer, but retain that smoothness.
Maybe it's because of Winter time and my whiskers grow quicker now? It could be a seasonal thing, and the Timeless will be fine again in Summer.
I had the .95 OC plate too but sold that as it was a tad too much for every day shaves (for me).
I could just buy another Timeless razor. Dimpled handle, scalloped cap and scalloped .95 base.
Would that give me what I want?
Or do I change to an ATT set for those 'other' days? Maybe a polished stainless setup with R1 and H1 plates (or R2, H2)?
I have a Gillette Black Beauty, so could adjust that out to maybe an 8 or 9 setting, but prefer not too.
Had a Fatboy, but sold that too. Wasn't quite what I wanted either.
Which brings me to adjustables. A Rex Ambassador maybe...but I read a lot of negative remarks on some forums (also read some positive reviews too).
The latest version is the 'O' series numbers.
Are they improved, smoother, shave closer, etc?
Tending towards another Timeless at the moment but maybe an ATT fan (or Rex fan) can point out the error of my ways.
Can get a Nickel plated Karve with B and C plates at the moment, but not been a fan of the Karve. Had one on order but cancelled about 2 years ago.
Don't want anymore vintage...hey, most of my vintage stuff I bought when it was brand new.
What are your thoughts? (yeah, I know. I'm hard to please. Finding the perfect razor is harder than finding the perfect woman).

Last edited:
Lol I beg to differ blackie.. there is no such thing as a perfect women, a razor on the other hand.....

thought the blackbird really aggressive? More than the 0.95 OC?

Go the SB if u want a timeless, no idea about ATT sorry

ATT H plates a really aggressive...not R41 but pretty close...

Rex is absolute magnificent and I never dial above 2.5 so plenty of opportunity to go more aggressive

The Timesless for me was just not smooth...Rex is way smoother and so is the ATT R plate...which BTW staves very close.

Unless you have a face/beard combo like @StratMan (leather face with wire whiskers), I don't think ATT H plates are suited for daily shaves...unless you just want a single pass shave...

The current razors (Picollo, Timeless, NEW SC, etc) are fine still. They shave smooth and close, but by early afternoon I now have stubble. Whiskers are growing quicker!
Problem may be a seasonal one. Winter here now, lots of snow with frosts, etc. I think my body is adjusting to our cold conditions and trying to keep my old body warm by shoving out more hair growth.
So, I don't have a problem with the actual shaves I'm getting. Still love the Timeless, but it seems that just now I need a closer shave than the .68 can give. Back when the weather was warmer I could shave in the morning and no stubble showing until early evening. The razors, blades, soaps, etc haven't changed. I think my technique hasn't changed either.
My first thought was just get another complete Timeless razor with the scalloped .95 base and scalloped cap. But also wanted to explore other makers offerings too.
I will check out the Rex again, and the ATT with R plate.
Not sure about the Blackbird...looks nice but if I didn't like the shave I would have to sell it. That's why I prefer a razor with different baseplates (although I have never liked the RR 6S razor).
Thanks for the suggestions. I may 'need' a couple of new razors for my Winter shaves..."Look Dear, I now have 2 complete sets of razors. That's my Summer time razors over there, and these are my Winter razors".
What better way to 'enable' self into buying another couple of new razors?

How many passes per shave?

Problem may be a seasonal one. Winter here now, lots of snow with frosts, etc. I think my body is adjusting to our cold conditions and trying to keep my old body warm by shoving out more hair growth.
So, I don't have a problem with the actual shaves I'm getting.
Could it be that the solution isn't getting a closer shave?

It could just be that your skin is drying out over the colder months. Dehydrated skin shrinks and make the stubble more prominent. So, you might need a more moisturising post-shave balm/splash/oil.
Dry skin is the enemy in the winter months.

Could it be that the solution isn't getting a closer shave?

It could just be that your skin is drying out over the colder months. Dehydrated skin shrinks and make the stubble more prominent. So, you might need a more moisturising post-shave balm/splash/oil.
Dry skin is the enemy in the winter months.

Many thanks @lerenau I never thought of that, and with old (ish) skin that may be the problem (I don't use moisturiser/face balm).
Maybe I do only need some moisturiser and not a new razor.
Or...I could get both! Moisturiser AND a new razor.
Thanks too @alfredus I normally do a couple of passes, the odd spot of buffing.
Not really noticed any problems until this Winter, and nothing in my shave setup/routines has altered lately.

I have been toying with the idea lately, of getting another Timeless set so I may just do that anyway plus will definitely get some moisturiser into my routine now.
Many thanks guys.

Wow...just in the interests of 'research' (as you will understand), I had a look at a new Rex Ambassador.
Ran the price through a currency converter, plus the shipping cost...then ran that through the NZ Customs duty/thieving tax payable calculator.
$NZ568....I don't think I will bother!
$NZ431 for a complete Timeless (from the 'Returns' section). A brand new setup is more expensive!
It's cheaper to buy a Timeless/ATT/etc in 2 separate bits (say...a handle first and the head assembly in a second parcel) and pay shipping on each part. That keeps each parcel below the tax threshold.
I will probably just buy a head assembly (cap and base) for whatever razor I like and get a handle locally.
For now I'm keeping an eye on the BST, and ebay too.

i-3GmZkSQ-XL.jpg

Well you have a Timeless anyway ... I would try the 0.95 again in a straight bar or scalloped.

And perhaps review your soap - there was a significant step-up in smoothness and less irritation between using Proraso soap or Taylor's shaving cream and the APR or Squadron soaps. The 0.95 requires a light touch even with a lighter titanium handle.

Yes @Kevy I'm thinking about a scalloped .95 base, plain cap, dimpled handle, and a razor stand (all SS polished, and from the 'Returns').
That will allow me to keep under the radar of the NZ Customs raiders. Turns out that (for some reason) when I used the Customs calculator for the Timeless I originally bunged it in as a 'Toy'! That gave a skewed amount owing. Buying all the bits as a 'Return' keeps the total under the dreaded amount before needing to pay the Customs duty.
Then I have the 2 razors and can just pick and choose what level of aggression/efficiency I want on the day without having to faff about changing bases, etc.
I didn't mind the .95 OC (and had no trouble with it), but it shaved so close that the next day it was not worth using again.
The whiskers were so shell-shocked that they hadn't dared raise their heads again.
Which left the Mamba or Picollo for those odd days.
I rotate in and out with the Black Beauty, NEW SC, and Tech as well.
OK, I really do just like my Timeless!