Anvil Idea's

PapaDooks

G'day folks am looking at getting into some "light" blacksmithing and i need an anvil. now since this is just as a pursuit to try out i'm not looking at spending 500+ bucks to get myself a real anvil just yet but i thought some of you blokes might have an idea of something that would make a half decent substitute for said heavy metal item ?

FWIW I've seen several on Gumtree in recent times - obviously we're in different necks of the woods but should be indicative that they can be found.

I think you'll find that many of them are sitting around in folks back sheds etc and not doing much as they're seen as barely worth their weight in scrap metal so I'd pop a WTB ad on Gumtree saying you're wanting to buy one for $XX (for the right one) and you'd welcome contact.

Otherwise maybe check with your local scrap metal dealer as I'm sure they get them in and would be happy to sell to you for a good price.

Alternatively a old friend of mine who was very savvy about such things used to have a ~50cm portion of railway line that he'd use as an anvil. That said I think this might be just as hard to find as an anvil itself.

I'd definitely check out the scrap metal places....even if you have to leave your details with them to contact you WHEN they come across an anvil I'm sure you'll have success via that route. :)

well being out in the boonies and having folks even further out were rail lines have been decommisioned it's actually fairly easy to get a hold of some. if i can just borrow a gas axe of someone for a few hours *strokes chin* will definately search gumtree though. thanks for the idea. i just looked at new i keep forgetting gumtree and ebay

I remember growing up that my father had a two foot length of railway track which he used for a range of heavy duty metalwork.

yeah i contacted the olds and got them lookin around to see if they know anyone who happened to find lengths of old track laying in sheds or the such. it's amazing what can be found when farmers go looking ;)