Any knot fixing gurus out there?

StratMan

hey guys.. the knot fell out of my Omega 11137 a while back and I had just left it as is for a long time as I though I didnt like Boar brushes. Got sick of looking at it detached and without much though just grabbed the wood glue and shoved it on.. as you can see its a shit job (finish) and fit (slanted).

Well after this I used the brush and discovered that I love boar brushes which sent me on another rabbit hole that lighted my wallet :) I love this brush now but the finish is really pissing me off, I know its just cosmetic but was wondering if there are any suggestions out there on if I can remove the knot and do the job properly this time.

51421381725_5bbf333c95_b.jpg

If it was acrylic might be easier as the one I know is the old Boil it in the saucepan trick. However, not sure how well that would work being the handle timber

hey guys.. the knot fell out of my Omega 11137 a while back and I had just left it as is for a long time as I though I didnt like Boar brushes. Got sick of looking at it detached and without much though just grabbed the wood glue and shoved it on.. as you can see its a shit job (finish) and fit (slanted).

Well after this I used the brush and discovered that I love boar brushes which sent me on another rabbit hole that lighted my wallet :) I love this brush now but the finish is really pissing me off, I know its just cosmetic but was wondering if there are any suggestions out there on if I can remove the knot and do the job properly this time.

51421381725_5bbf333c95_b.jpg
Your safest bet might be to put the knot in a vice and yank the handle off by brute force. Otherwise, if you can live without the handle, you could split it with a chisel to extract the knot.

hmmm.. might just have to live with it, was hoping some heat in a bowl may do the trick but good chance will damage the wood handle

if i ever get sick of the handle i know what to do :)

cheers

Yank and pull will probably tear the hairs off the rubber base versus breaking the hold of that wood glue. If you're not too attached to the knot, you could probably just cut it off at the base and then drill out the remainder with a dremel. Boar knots are easy enough to procure and cheap.

Got sick of looking at it detached and without much though just grabbed the wood glue and shoved it on.. as you can see its a shit job (finish) and fit (slanted).
Wood glue should come loose with a bit of heat and pressure. I would start easy with just some hot water (not boiling) or close to a heat source enough to warm up the glue and just hand pressure pulling and wiggling the knot.
Try to pry it loose without damaging the knot and be patient the heat and pressure will do the job but may take a while. Alcohol would help breakdown the glue but also remove varnish from the handle.
Maybe if you can selectively remove the glue buildup with alcohol and cotton buds then will not have to pull out the knot ¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯

The heating will not work with the Omega brushes. If you look at the knot closely you can see that it is set into plastic. Well that plastic collar is about 2cm deep. You would only end up destroying the knot. If you wanted to sacrifice the handle that not a problem, all you would need to do is cut below the collar and split the top part.
Brush restoration

The heating will not work with the Omega brushes. If you look at the knot closely you can see that it is set into plastic. Well that plastic collar is about 2cm deep. You would only end up destroying the knot. If you wanted to sacrifice the handle that not a problem, all you would need to do is cut below the collar and split the top part.
Brush restoration
Words of wisdom. Just as well someone here knows the anatomy of an Omega.

Won't heat and tugging loosen the plastic collar with knot intact from the handle?
If it's araldite or no more nails wood glue?

thanks for the replies everyone.. i think i will just live with it for now as it is an excellent brush, and will remind me to not be a lazy bastard next time :)

and if it ends up pissing me off too much, i may just get a custom handle made for it :love:

thanks for the replies everyone.. i think i will just live with it for now as it is an excellent brush, and will remind me to not be a lazy bastard next time :)

and if it ends up pissing me off too much, i may just get a custom handle made for it :love:
If you have the Omega style number you can look up the knot size so you can tell the maker the hole size.