Any NFL fans out there?

Mong.

doesn't care for Euro Palmolive
Group Buy Associate
2015 Sabbatical
I always enjoy it as we approach September. The sun starts to show itself a little more often, footy finals approach, and I always have a slow period at work which is relaxing. What else is great about September?

NFL begins.

I'm an avid Detroit Lions fan, and with the preseason just getting started, I'm keen as bloody mustard to see how they go this year. Does anyone else follow American football?

NFL is a sport right?

:laugh:

Sorry, the only sport I follow (semi) regularly is the WRC.

When I followed NFL the refrigerator wasn't just a thing to keep your drinks cold.

When I followed NFL the refrigerator wasn't just a thing to keep your drinks cold.

I just looked him up, that's a huge dude!

Still following - once actually played - absolutely badly - if I had to pick a team New Orleans has appeal. Supporting Detroit is a bit like supporting Richmond isn't it?

I like New Orleans too. I actually follow the Doggies, it's been eerily similar the last few years. Two reasons to be disappointed during the weekend! :cheesy:

Though Footscray continue to suck, Detroit seems to have re-invented themselves into decent contenders this year. Then again, heaven seems to forbid that I should get some satisfaction from a sporting victory...

Huge fan here....been following for many a year. My original 'team' was MIN.....no idea why TBH, but over the last few yrs have found myself drifting to the dark side and developing a soft spot for NE. Mainly as I read several books on their internal practices and operations and it kind of resonated with me - ruthless buggers!

Hmmmmmm me thinks DET is a few moves off even winning the division yet.....your OL is a bit of a mess and I don't think enough has been done with the secondary to bring it up to standard. I think it'll be another yr of Stafford tossing it to Calvin 60% of the time and hoping he can win the jump ball......not a bad idea but ya gotta bring more tot he table. Will be interesting to see how Bush goes but I reckon they still need more to get above GB and improving teams in MIN and CHI.

That aside should be a VERY interesting season....seems genuinely wide open and a LOT of teams have real championship credentials on paper.

I like NE too, it'll be interesting to see what happens with them this season. Brady is still mighty good for 36, but losing Welker and Hernandez is a big blow to the catching crew. Gronkowski is on the PUP list too. I hope Brady and Amendola have some serious chemistry. I'm still a little confused why Belichick went after Tebow. Belichick is a brilliant coach though, so I guess he sees something in him.

It kinda sucks having the Packers in our division, but I really rate our chances this year. Injury destroyed our WR and secondary last year, but our lack of depth showed through. I think DET did exceptionally out of free agency and the draft, but there are three CB on the PUP at the moment, so we'll be weak again there this year. Big additional to the secondary in Glover Quin, if Delmas is healthy, there's some serious ballhawking potential at safety. Picking up Reggie Bush was the best thing ever. He'll free up CJ and create some mismatches in the slot. You're right about the OL though, the right side is looking shaky. DL though, watch out! Suh is a beast. :cool:

Preseason week 3, your guys come to Ford Field. Should be a good game!

About halfway through the season now, and it's been a good one! Detroit are now clear leaders in our division at 6-3, putting away Chicago on the weekend and looking like they might get on a pretty good run for the upcoming Thanksgiving Day slaughter of the Pack! Considering I get absolutely no satisfaction watching Footscray in the AFL, the universe is squaring itself with me!

I've put a bet on Detroit to win the Super Bowl. If it pays out successfully, it'll cover the cost of my Stafford jersey. :cool:

Although the length of the games, with adverts every time somebody on the pitch breaks wind, does drive me mad I am a fan. When it finally with any sort of regularity hit the TV screens in England where I was living at the time, it was all Chicago Bears and Walter Payton. I'm a Bears fan and paying for it now. It's been unrewarding to say the least but once you pick a team it's for life. I knew the moment I laid eyes on him that Cutler was a losing proposition. I've also taken a liking to NE, mainly because of Tom Brady.

Although the length of the games, with adverts every time somebody on the pitch breaks wind, does drive me mad I am a fan. When it finally with any sort of regularity hit the TV screens in England where I was living at the time, it was all Chicago Bears and Walter Payton. I'm a Bears fan and paying for it now. It's been unrewarding to say the least but once you pick a team it's for life. I knew the moment I laid eyes on him that Cutler was a losing proposition. I've also taken a liking to NE, mainly because of Tom Brady.

Not bad for a game with just 11 minutes of action!

/edit didn't realise you had also escaped.

That makes it, GT, yourself and I that have escaped other countries to now call Aus home. Any others?

Last edited:

Doesn't actually surprise me.

/edit didn't realise you had also escaped.

That makes it, GT, yourself and I that have escaped other countries to now call Aus home. Any others?

I've escaped several countries...the USA (not willingly but due to family circumstances) then Holland (couldn't wait to get outta there) and then England.

Not the best of seasons for the Bears, but a few teams in the NFL have been turned upside down this year. Pats are down, and Kansas City are kicking ass. I wasn't expecting that. Chicago will be okay though, injury has been a bit harsh for them this year particularly with Cutler. I like that McCown dude at QB, he lead a great fourth quarter drive against Detroit. It must suck to be a backup QB in the NFL, but he came out and put points on the board when he had the chance. Always nice to see.

This is why I save Lions games for the weekend when I have a few hours and a six pack. Ain't got the patience to do it sober. :p

..........This is why I save Lions games for the weekend when I have a few hours and a six pack. Ain't got the patience to do it sober. :p

Aternatively tape it and start watching at least an hour after scheduled kick off and keep hitting the fast forward button. My fast forward finger does get tired and I think the 11 minute estimation is wildly out. I'd give it five minutes of ball in play. You can then watch an entire game with one beer. Win win.

You can then watch an entire game with one beer. Win win.

Ain't no win in that!

I was shooting the shit with an American buddy last night about whether or not Tom Brady will hang up the boots after this year. Dude is getting on in years, and it's gotta hurt your desire and passion to go from being top end contenders to mid-level filler. I almost feel bad for him, but the mighty must fall so that Matt Stafford can be MVP sometime.

I think he's the best QB of his generation. He just hasn't had a really good team around him the last couple of years but how he lifts an average side to perform beyond expectation is pretty well unmatched in my view.

NFL is the PERFECT game for TV ...

NFL is the PERFECT game for TV ...
That it is but it's even better if you've got a HTPC or PVR.

Will be interesting to see how many 'Johnny Comelately's' there are to the game with Hayne's making the initial roster. Firstly, I was very open on a few other forums in saying that i felt he had SFA chance of making a go of it and I was dead wrong as it's been quite an amazing effort by him. Very few non-USA athletes have EVER done what he's done, so that in itself tells you all you need to know.

But realistically he's going to have his hands full getting activated on game days. NFL teams have a roster of 53 players BUT only have 46 active players on game days - so 7 guys basically walk the sidelines and cheer on others. Plus being on a roster is no guarantee you'll be there for long as players are very often waived as teams constantly add/remove players from those cast off by other teams looking to get bargains/better fits etc.

Hayne's team will likely stink this year as they've had a horrific offseason losing many of their leading defensive players, have a very unproven/unheralded head coach and are in one of the toughest divisions in the league. The RB group at SF is also quite deep, so Hayne will have that very tough challenge of getting VERY limited touches/chances and having it ESSENTIAL he makes the most of them or he won't get any more touches.

Is a huge difference going up against the 2nd & 3rd stringers, as Hayne was in the pre-season vs the starters in an actual regular season game - but hey I do wish him all the best.

Already counting down the hours to the season opener on FRI of PIT@NE - Deflategate was the most mishandled, bodged clusterphark in league history and it'll be interesting to see how NE bounce back from it as Brady has looked very rusty/distracted in his preseason play and they're thin in several key areas (WR, CB). Should be a big year for my other team MIN, AP is back and they've a LOT of young talent on both sides of the ball - does Bridgewater take a step up will be critical for them - all signs say he's even better this year.