Any Port in a storm?

JugV2

Simply boring.
So in honour of the wild woolly weather we have in Perth tonight I thought I would go and grab a decent bottle of something tawny and red.

Had time permitted, I would have loved to get a bottle of Talijancich Shiraz Liquer, as I live quite close to the winery.

However I had to settle with a bottle of McWilliams Hanwood grand tawny 10 year old.

Last bottle I had was Penfolds Blue Stone; before that was Galway.

So the Hanwood is a deep, strong tasting port. Lovely aftertaste and a slight tang on the tongue.

I am almost positive there are more port drinkers on this forum.

Show yourselves.

Talijancich is in henley brook right? edit: Herne Hill. That's what I meant anyway, the place on GNH that starts with "H" and is two words. Henley brook is in west swan rd and not what I meant.

I haven't have port in ages. I remember having galway and a few others, but not for a while.
I stick to stouts or spirits now when it's cold.

Last edited:
Yeah that's Talijancich...GNH indeed.

My only problem with good port is I can't quite master the sipping thing...I tend to go through a few glasses of the stuff.

I would have loved to get a bottle of Talijancich Shiraz Liquer

You guys really do have similar tastes to me! I just polished off some of their James Old Ruby port last night.

I didn't think the Shiraz Liquer was their best offering. I grabbed some Julian James White Liquer (even though it's dark red), the Julian James Reserve Muscat 1961 Solero and also got a bottle of the Liquer Verdelho for the warmer months.

If you want something along the same lines without the pricetag, pick up some of this:
Rutherglen Premium Muscat

Whilst not being a refined port drinker i do enjoy a drop from time to time, birthday and christmas seem to keep me in bottles for most of the year though.

Favorite drop at the moment is "Ned Kelly Red - Tawny" got a decent bite to it without being too sweet.

You guys really do have similar tastes to me! I just polished off some of their James Old Ruby port last night.

I didn't think the Shiraz Liquer was their best offering. I grabbed some Julian James White Liquer (even though it's dark red), the Julian James Reserve Muscat 1961 Solero and also got a bottle of the Liquer Verdelho for the warmer months.

If you want something along the same lines without the pricetag, pick up some of this:
Rutherglen Premium Muscat

Yeah the other liquer/ports they do are quite nice apparently - I've not tried them yet. One of them is a 1961 vintage and it's around $700 a bottle from memory. that's not the '61 you have is it?

Whilst not being a refined port drinker i do enjoy a drop from time to time, birthday and christmas seem to keep me in bottles for most of the year though.

Favorite drop at the moment is "Ned Kelly Red - Tawny" got a decent bite to it without being too sweet.

Yeah that's a top gift idea, a bottle of port.

Where did you get the Ned Kelly Red from?

One of them is a 1961 vintage and it's around $700 a bottle from memory. that's not the '61 you have is it?

Hell no! My "1961" is one of their blends. Basically, they have blended a tiny bit of the 1961 you mentioned with the best vintages from 1977. This was then matured and released in 2004. I recall it was about $60 for a 350mL bottle. Goes beautifully with some Roquefort.

Yeah the other liquer/ports they do are quite nice apparently - I've not tried them yet. One of them is a 1961 vintage and it's around $700 a bottle from memory. that's not the '61 you have is it?

Yeah that's a top gift idea, a bottle of port.

Where did you get the Ned Kelly Red from?

Its made by callipari wines. Mum is the culprit for buying them, they have a stall at gigarre market once a month from memory.

Just to revive an old thread, does anyone have any fairly economical recommendations for port or muscat at the moment? Anything at Dan Murphy's is a winner because I have a mate working at the one down the road who swipes his discount card for me.

Anything at Dan Murphy's is a winner because I have a mate working at the one down the road who swipes his discount card for me.

Grrr! No fair! My local Dan Murphys is 1669km away according to the store locator.

Oh yes, I do like a nice port. Generously sized glass alongside a freshly made coffee (my home roasted of course) and some dark chocolate. That'll do me thanks.

Hanwood is quite good, much better than one would expect. Definitely nothing to sneer at. However, IMHO this has got to be one of the absolute bargains out there in the Australian liquor market. Chateau Reynella 16 Year Old port......only comes in 375ml bottles but is under $10 per unit!

I swear buy yourselves several of these whilst you can as it's a really lovely port and the madness will have to end soon.

Check the reviews if you doubt me.....its said to be the closest domestic product that has the real taste of top quality Portugese ports. I've around 4 bottles left from the 6 I bought a few months ago and will be buying several more again soon.

It's absolutely sensational and at the price is astounding value.

PS. No excuses as DM regularly has free postage sales on - watch Ozbargain for these.

I hosted a wine tasting at home the other night and one of the stand out sippers was a Spanish Sherry.

I swear I would never have thought a sherry would be that nice - he hid the label from me as I tasted it, then when I exclaimed "crikey thats a good port" he smugly showed me the sherry label.

Exceptional taste but for $40 a bottle it bloody well ought to be. No way am I spending $40 on a sherry from overseas, I'd rather buy a nice Aussie made port.

Now I want port again.

Sigh.

Might try DM on the way home tonight.

I might have to grab a few bottles of the Reynella. DM's is only up the road in Enfield for me.

Will give a quick shoutout to a winery from the hometown - Pieter Van Gent - who do a few ports in a very different styles.

First up is their White Port. Yes, one of one two places that make a White Port in Australia, I think the other is in the southwest of Victoria. Almost everyone that tries it really enjoys it, if I had a dollar for every bottle sold that I had introduced someone to, I'd be a rich man. I always have one bottle at home, and it's available in NSW from Woolworths Liquor and I think DM's nationally. Also available in a the special limited edition Pipeclay White bottle direct from the Winery.

I prefer their Liqueur Muscat ($22) over the Tawny ($22) and Cornelius ($30) ports... but they are still very good and priced pretty reasonably. The fact I used to drive 10 mins to the Cellar Door was always nice too.

PS. No excuses as DM regularly has free postage sales on - watch Ozbargain for these.

I don't think they were allowing orders from the NT due to the absurd liquor law that Labour brought in where you had to show ID to purchase any alcohol to prove you were not on the banned list.

In theory you could only purchase alcohol for yourself, so I guess stocking up for a party was illegal. Not that it stopped anyone on the banned drinkers list I am sure.

As that has now been rescinded by the Country Liberals I might keep an eye out again.

I regularly check Ozbargain, but had never noticed Dan's offering free postage.

Last edited:
Yes, one of one two places that make a White Port in Australia, I think the other is in the southwest of Victoria.

Not at all true.

I have been to several wineries in Margaret River WA that make a white port.

Howling Wolves
Xanadu

Both of these places make white port.

It's a rare occasion that RM is wrong...this is one of those!

Tend to stay clear of Port. Very nice to drink but a bit like lolly water. Something you can down too easily. Have had some serious blinding hangovers particularly if you do the old "couple of Port and Brandys" just before the last bell.

Tend to stay clear of Port. Very nice to drink but a bit like lolly water. Something you can down too easily. Have had some serious blinding hangovers particularly if you do the old "couple of Port and Brandys" just before the last bell.

In one of my first jobs we worked 12 hour shifts, during which we were given 1.5 hour lunch breaks. On several occasions we went to the Old Mug House (I think it was called) under one of the arches at London Bridge Station, and partook of a lunch consisting of a 4 pint pitcher of Davy's Old Wallop ale, a steak sandwich, and a pint of port.

I have no idea how I managed to get any work done after that.

I do remember that it was a very nice port though.

Not at all true.

I have been to several wineries in Margaret River WA that make a white port.

Howling Wolves
Xanadu

Both of these places make white port.

It's a rare occasion that RM is wrong...this is one of those!

Are they currently making it? Or have in the past?

I believe that only PVG and some place in Victoria made it last Vintage. I know there has been some production of it in WA in years gone by. They may have started again - who knows.