Any Tobacco Pipe Smokers?

Anthony

Trusted Vendor
Menth Dealer
Hey all,

Just wondering if any of you are fellow Tobacco Pipe smokers?

I took it up a few years back and built up quite a collection of pipes from Cobs, Briars and even a few Meerschaum.

Initially like most people starting out I went on a frenzy and purchased a plethora of different blends (have since stuck to using what I already have). I've found I enjoy Virginia blends the most but do like a good english now and then and the odd Aromatic.

Keen to see if there are any others who share this "hobby"?

I was very tempted back in 2017 but I hit a wall with the price of tobacco you don't know if you'll like :) The price of admission to the pipe hobby is pretty high here. So the estate pipes I bought went back on the bay...

'Spose the government policy worked in this case :)

Very true @Greenpike
I don't have a pipe quite as often any more... but with prices for tobacco the way they are (and the way they are heading) who knows, I may also give it up... :nailbiting:

I used to occasionally have a pipe with my Grandad until he passed. Always a briar pipe with a ready rubbed Virginian tobacco. Still have his pipes and stands.

Hey all,

Just wondering if any of you are fellow Tobacco Pipe smokers?

I took it up a few years back and built up quite a collection of pipes from Cobs, Briars and even a few Meerschaum.

Initially like most people starting out I went on a frenzy and purchased a plethora of different blends (have since stuck to using what I already have). I've found I enjoy Virginia blends the most but do like a good english now and then and the odd Aromatic.

Keen to see if there are any others who share this "hobby"?
Are there any issues to look out for with buying 2nd hand pipes off eBay? How do you deal with hygiene issues i.e. disinfect mouthpeice or is better to just buy new?

Are there any issues to look out for with buying 2nd hand pipes off eBay? How do you deal with hygiene issues i.e. disinfect mouthpeice or is better to just buy new?

Irony, I love irony.
:)

@Pbgoose I've purchased (and resold) quite a few off ebay. They come in varying grades of decay (as do razors).

For cleaning, there are many methods. I use a pipe reamer and the "Salt" method on the actual bowl. Depending on the state of the bowl it may also require a sanding and re-staining.
With the stems, I prefer to use "Oxy-Clean" bath, and then use micro-mesh to sand it down and get rid of the oxidation. I also use alcohol to clean out the stem using a pipe cleaner.

I'm no professional when it comes to pipe restorations, but there is heaps of info out there, and I'd be more than happy to help in any way I can.

The "System" type pipes are a little more difficult to clean if purchasing "used", but can still be done.

Sorry Ferret, you're going to have to explain it to me.
The idea of cleaning a pipe in order to prevent potentially coming into contact with the previous owners germs, so you can smoke tobacco from it.
No judgement of cause, just struck me.

I think of it like restoring a razor. Given the proper care and attention (and cleaning and sanitising).
I've only had a few that were absolutely DISGUSTING! They took a LOT of time and effort in cleaning and bringing back to life, but well worth it IMO.
I've only ever bought a few new pipes. Predominantly Corn Cobs, 1 Peterson (my best smoker) and a few Meerschaums. The rest have all been "Estate" pipes which I have painstakingly brought back to life.

Guys..I miss smoking

@Ferret619 Sorry! Had no idea. I myself used to be a smoker. Gave it up quite a number of years ago and switched to vaping.

I took up pipes a few years ago but only have one every now and then (3 times a month if that).

I've never looked back at cigarettes, in fact the smell turns me right off but I do know of others who have quit but still find the smell alluring.

I prefer vaping...so do my lungs.

9KPXNjk.jpg

@wayne646 I was so tempted to get one of them :happy:
But yes, I prefer vaping over smoking but eventually want to stop vaping as well.
I probably spent more on vaping gear than what i did smoking initially because I had to of course try everything under the sun!

@wayne646 I was so tempted to get one of them :happy:
But yes, I prefer vaping over smoking but eventually want to stop vaping as well.
I probably spent more on vaping gear than what i did smoking initially because I had to of course try everything under the sun!

Anthony, It can get expensive if you want the high end gear, I'm lucky in that regard I work in a vape store and get to play with the new gear.
For the average vaper it's still a lot cheaper and safer than smoking.
BTW, the most expensive mod I've bought was a Dicodes for $300, I'll probably sell it, gone off TC.

I gave up the smokes years ago and this was all pre vaping so that’s never been my thing.
That said, when the baby comes I can’t say there won’t be a cigar and some* single malt.

*see lots

@wayne646 You work at a vape shop!?.. oh man I'd go broke! Yeah I was never into TC that much, but did use it for a while. All my mods are outdated. The last RDTA I bought was the Kylin which seems to be my favourite so far (sitting on a Wismec RX200). Good to know theres another fellow Vaper!

@Ferret619 How long do you have to go? Ah a cigar is always in order on special occasions!! Is this your first child? Ohh... single malt.. you'd be excused for having lots!

@wayne646 You work at a vape shop!?.. oh man I'd go broke! Yeah I was never into TC that much, but did use it for a while. All my mods are outdated. The last RDTA I bought was the Kylin which seems to be my favourite so far (sitting on a Wismec RX200). Good to know theres another fellow Vaper!

@Ferret619 How long do you have to go? Ah a cigar is always in order on special occasions!! Is this your first child? Ohh... single malt.. you'd be excused for having lots!
Assuming my wife goes the full 40 weeks we currently are 5 weeks out, she’s pretty uncomfortable to say the least, my boy enjoys kicking her bladder.

I know it’s a bit meh, but I love the glenfiddich 12yo, better than the 15 or 18.

I still have a RX200 I gave it a custom 2 pack paint job, I'm now using a Ijoy Captain with a Reload RTA also use a Double Barrel with with with a Troll RTA.
hwTP5Vi.jpg