Anyone an aqua nerd?

Ferret619

Foolish Possums are not Grand Poobahs
2018 Sabbatical
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
forgive the "aqua nerd" but it's a title my boss gave me when I had a refractometer arrive for testing water salinity at work many years ago.
I've had Aquariums going in my house for years, from brackish puffer fish, oscars to shell dwellers and shrimp I've loved having aquariums going.
I most recently had a heater pack it in on my shell dweller tank which cost me about $1500 in livestock tragically so I've decommissioned that tank and started a little 2 foot red cherry shrimp tank instead.

Any of you guys into it?

forgive the "aqua nerd" but it's a title my boss gave me when I had a refractometer arrive for testing water salinity at work many years ago.
I've had Aquariums going in my house for years, from brackish puffer fish, oscars to shell dwellers and shrimp I've loved having aquariums going.
I most recently had a heater pack it in on my shell dweller tank which cost me about $1500 in livestock tragically so I've decommissioned that tank and started a little 2 foot red cherry shrimp tank instead.

Any of you guys into it?

Used to be thirty five odd years ago... marine/trop and tropical. Finally gave up after ongoing equipment failures and stock losses. Came home from work one day and found eight years of Discus breeding gone in a nine foot segment breeding tank all dead. Equipment was pretty ordinary back then. My late wife complained all the time about the humidity in the house. It may have been because I had fish in every room in our large house except the toilet! Finally gave all the tanks away so I wouldn't be tempted to start again with fish. I had one lone Jack Dempsey for a few years after until he died.

I just re-discover that part of the forum.
I have had some fish stuff, mostly ciclids but others whose name in english is not known for me (I have oscars, for example, but a few others), but I have care and raise other stuff on water, mostly on my childhood. I used to raise a few wild catched species of frogs, toads, and mostly newts, but I really love turtles. I have kept many species, but my favourites were the snapping turtles (Chelydra serpentina). Amazing to see them hunting live food. So, i did made a great job moving onto an state where turtles are prohibited haha

I really love to have a marine aquarium, some shrimps, some anemonas, a few fish (maybe some spiny lobsters as now my mates from IMAS have just make their breed and raise for real? I saw the other they one of their larval phases, they were just like small, transparent, marine "huntsman spiders"), and I will, but first I need to settle somewhere :D

giphy.gif

Nerd? Super-Nerd may be a better description, have you ever think about restraining and gluing a gps on a 1000 Kg seal's head? Well I've done that ....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
The only thing that I could count as a con of Australia in terms of myself and my relationship with the environment is that here is the worst. Just name it and is here. Where are the most poisonous spiders? Yeah, in Aussie, and the most poisonous snakes? Again, in Aussie, what about the most poisonous, letal, octopus? yo can bet... as marine snakes, jellyfish... deadly sharks. Even gumtrees are toxic :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
not to mention all the weird marsupials...., really cute, but still, weird.
I reckon I would feel safer, in order to sleep in a sleeping bag, in the middle of a South African Park full of hungry Lions than in any mainland natural spots.
Huntsmen hanging around have finally cured my arachnophobia xD

I set up a simple tropical aquarium to entertain the 3 year old.
Cleaned it not 20 minutes ago.

But, my cousin used to be president of the ACT aquarium society (I think).
He has a room in his house devoted to floor-to-ceiling aquariums.